ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing benefit on residence card

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

keloid

Housing benefit on residence card

Post by keloid » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 am

I am a British citizen, my wife is non-EEA and we entered the UK using the Surinder Singh route. I was away from the UK for 6 months.

My wife holds a Residence Card. She is a full-time student.

As I have just lost my job, I would be grateful for some advice as to whether we would both be eligible to receiving housing benefit? Would this in any way affect my wife's application for British citizenship in the future - which we think she will be making in roughly 4 years time?

Thank you very much.

keloid

Re: Housing benefit on residence card

Post by keloid » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Bump.

Anyone?
keloid wrote:I am a British citizen, my wife is non-EEA and we entered the UK using the Surinder Singh route. I was away from the UK for 6 months.

My wife holds a Residence Card. She is a full-time student.

As I have just lost my job, I would be grateful for some advice as to whether we would both be eligible to receiving housing benefit? Would this in any way affect my wife's application for British citizenship in the future - which we think she will be making in roughly 4 years time?

Thank you very much.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 am

I can't see any reason why you would be unable to claim housing benefit etc. Your wife would be entitled in her own right to claim such benefits as she is a family member of an EEA national and as you are aware because of your working outside the UK in the past you have treaty rights.

There is almost no restriction on reliance on public funds with the EEA route and I don't see any variation on that for Singh cases.

I don't see why claiming housing benefit would have any consequences in respect of naturalisation as long as as she asserts her claim to EEA permanent residence 12 months prior to applying for naturalisation.

That's my opinion on your query, unless anyone else has spotted anything I have not! Good luck!

keloid

Post by keloid » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:53 am

thank you very much for your reply

how do I ensure that my wife 'asserts her claim to eea permenant residence' 12 months prior to applying for naturalisation? Is there some paperwork we need to fill in?

Many thanks again.
el patron wrote:I can't see any reason why you would be unable to claim housing benefit etc. Your wife would be entitled in her own right to claim such benefits as she is a family member of an EEA national and as you are aware because of your working outside the UK in the past you have treaty rights.

There is almost no restriction on reliance on public funds with the EEA route and I don't see any variation on that for Singh cases.

I don't see why claiming housing benefit would have any consequences in respect of naturalisation as long as as she asserts her claim to EEA permanent residence 12 months prior to applying for naturalisation.

That's my opinion on your query, unless anyone else has spotted anything I have not! Good luck!

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Apply for an EEA permanent residence document, then wait 12 months and naturalise, that would be the most straightforward way to do it. Although as you are a British citizen would she need to wait 12 months before naturalising? Might be worth investigating if she needs to wait 12 months after obtaining permanent residence.