ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is she marrying a married man from Ireland?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Meybenotxoxo
Newly Registered

Is she marrying a married man from Ireland?

Post by Meybenotxoxo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:08 am

My sister is going to marry a man from Ireland. I don't know why, but I have a strange feeling that he is married, even tho he says he's divorced. He is here out of status and they visited an Immigration office locally and the advice the officer gave them was to get married so he could stay here since that was eventually going to be the plan anyway. After she files all the papers for him, will they find out for sure if he's married or not? Would my sister get in trouble if he was since she sponsored him? This is a great site, thanks in advance for your kind reply.

finney
Newly Registered

Post by finney » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi. I have no idea of the situation but I am from Ireland and will tell you that it is very difficult to get divorced in Ireland. They will have to be seperated for about seven years before it can happen so you can judge by the age of the guy and how long he says he was married.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Meybenotxoxo wrote:My sister is going to marry a man from Ireland. I don't know why, but I have a strange feeling that he is married, even tho he says he's divorced. He is here out of status and they visited an Immigration office locally and the advice the officer gave them was to get married so he could stay here since that was eventually going to be the plan anyway. After she files all the papers for him, will they find out for sure if he's married or not? Would my sister get in trouble if he was since she sponsored him? This is a great site, thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Any immigration application requires the submission of documentation pertaining to speficific facts such as marital status. Where the information submitted is determined to be false and as such is of material effect either at the application stage or later in time then the application is refused or any status granted can and is often revoked. Further there is usually a custodial sentence accompanying the refusal as well as a deportation and a ban from re-entry to the relevant country. In saying that and with respect to the provision of 'family advice' your sister has the right to decide who and when she wants to marry - would you like her to tell you what do under the same circumstances?