ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration/Naturilisation Certificate vs British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am

Can someone throw a light on this subject. Couldn't see anything on Citizenship FAQ or on UKBA website.

For a child under 18When does she/he become an "official" british citizen, on receipt of registration certificate (i.e. following MN1 application)or on receipt of first british passport?

For adults (above 18)
When does she/he become an "official" british citizen, on receipt of naturalisation certificate (i.e following AN application),
or after attending the oath ceremony or on receipt of first british passport?
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 pm

passport is just a TRAVEL DOCUMENT, it is the naturalisation/registration certificate which proves your citizenship, just as a birth certificate. One may live his whole life without having a passport but being able to take advantage of his citizenship in the fields of welfare & benefits, housing, employment just on the basis of being British WITHOUT a passport!

Hope the distinction is now clear to you, passports are SECONDARY in nature and only follow after the certificates!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Registration/Naturilisation Certificate vs British Passp

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm

on receipt of naturalisation certificate (i.e following AN application),
or after attending the oath ceremony
The naturalisation certificate is only received at the ceremony after taking the oath. You only become BC then.

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 pm

mcovet wrote:passport is just a TRAVEL DOCUMENT, it is the naturalisation/registration certificate which proves your citizenship, just as a birth certificate. One may live his whole life without having a passport but being able to take advantage of his citizenship in the fields of welfare & benefits, housing, employment just on the basis of being British WITHOUT a passport!

Hope the distinction is now clear to you, passports are SECONDARY in nature and only follow after the certificates!
I understand what you are saying; but for most purposes, a passport is a suuficient proof of citizenship. ( of course, to get the first passport, one needs the naturalisation cert; so in thatv sense, the cert. is primary)

Only when one doesn't have a passport does one have to show a different proof - naturalisation certificate for naturalised citizens; and mother's citizenship ( or father's , if parents were married) for people born in UK etc etc.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks all for your response.

So if I belong to a country where dual nationality is not allowed.
I guess I can surrender passport of my country of origin AFTER I receive my first british passport following naturalisation/registration certificate.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 am

nnj10 wrote:Thanks all for your response.

So if I belong to a country where dual nationality is not allowed.
I guess I can surrender passport of my country of origin AFTER I receive my first british passport following naturalisation/registration certificate.
Well that depends on the rules of that unnamed country.