ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name on Citizenship certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sudhy6
Newly Registered

Name on Citizenship certificate

Post by sudhy6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 am

Please can someone let me know if its normal for married women to have their citizenship certificate in their maiden name. I had applied under my married name which i have been using for the last 5 years. However my certificate is in my maiden name. My passport is also in my married name. I want to have my british passport in married name. Please could someone advise if this is normal for UKBA or is this a mistake?

Thanks in advance

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 am

If you applied under your married name (i.e. that the name you put in Q1.6 on the form), then this is a mistake. You will need to contact the HO to have them reissue the certificate.

sudhy6
Newly Registered

Post by sudhy6 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:09 am

Thank you so much. How about if I applied for the passport and used my marriage certificate as proof of my new name? Would that create problems?

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 am

You cant afford to have the wrong name on the Naturalisation certificate. passport is just a travel document. get this corrected on the certificate before you face issues.
sudhy6 wrote:Thank you so much. How about if I applied for the passport and used my marriage certificate as proof of my new name? Would that create problems?

badbug27
Newly Registered

Post by badbug27 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 am

I can give you an informed answer as I just went through this process and had to get names officially changed (for different reasons).

The naturalisation certificates did not have our middle names (for the whole family). We applied for the passport with the middle names as that is how all other identities are. However, the passport office asked us to get our names changed as they only take "Naturalisation Certificate" as proof of your name. No other proof is valid, this now your new identity. We had to go to a solicitor pay quite heavy fees and get the names changed. There was an option to send the certificate back but it would take long so we didn't opt for that.

So if you haven't yet applied for the passport and want to save money then I would recommend sending the certificate back as it is HO mistake and they will do it for free. I'm not sure how long will it take though.

hope this helps.

sudhy6
Newly Registered

Post by sudhy6 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Thank you very much... I guess it would be safer to have the certificate changed...