ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Holiday visa for 'home country'

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

frankie36
Ireland

Holiday visa for 'home country'

Post by frankie36 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello,

I have two queries which I would really appreciate some advice on. To give come context..... I am hoping that my Non-EU spouse who recently joined my in UK on an EEA family permit can travel with me to Rep of Ireland (my 'home country') for Xmas. We have not yet applied for an RC for UK for my husband on the grounds that given the current time scales for applications to be processed it may have meant that we would both be without passports until the new year and therefore find it impossible to travel for xmas. My queries are as follows:

1. Does my husband require a holiday visa to travel to Ireland with me? I have read some information on the forum that seems to suggest to me that he has the right to freedom of movement within the EU as long as we travel together and can prove our relationship, but hope you can clarify this for us.

2. In the event that he does, I have looked up the information for a visa for him to travel to Ireland and one of the stipulations is that he shows

"evidence of his permission to remain in the UK (stamp or sticker in passport or on other approved official document provided by the UK authorities, valid for at least 3 months after date of departure from Ireland".

My husband's EEA family permit is dated from 1/9/12 - 1/3/13. I am trying to pre-empt the argument that his visa expires less than 3 months after his return to UK by providing evidence to clarify it is an entry visa only and actually he has the right to remain with me in UK indefinitely. Is there any documention I can submit to support this argument?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. We would be really lost without this forum!

Frankie

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Frankie

I'm similar, in that i'm bringing my wife with me to N.Ireland at Xmas for the first time, who is also non EU on a Family Permit, expires April. We're holding off on applying for the RC untill we fly back, same reason as yourself, need Passports to fly, at least with Aer Lingus you do.

But we'll be staying in Belfast, so still in the UK, no problems with UKBA in or out.

Possibly fly in and out of Belfast, drive down (no Border/Visa checks) and that's cuts out all the hassle?

Post by 1878 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 pm

I (my wife) have same problem with Norwegian Embassy in London. Seems they only accept RC or valid sticker (EEA FP) in passport.

Have been in contact with European Commission who say they are wrong. Have also contacted Solvit UK and sent letter to UKBA for RC to be issued asap or asking for official documentation confirming her rights. Sent it on 18th October and have not received anything yet.

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:42 pm

your non-eu spouse will definitely need visa to enter Ireland as per the following weblink (Question #5).
http://www.embassyofireland.co.uk/home/ ... 75477#FAQ5
Yes the EEA2 application processing time is really unpredictable and it may hinder your christmas holidays but why not you apply eea2 and then request back the passports for travel as it will not affect the application.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:58 am

Englandd wrote:your non-eu spouse will definitely need visa to enter Ireland as per the following weblink (Question #5).
http://www.embassyofireland.co.uk/home/ ... 75477#FAQ5
Yes the EEA2 application processing time is really unpredictable and it may hinder your christmas holidays but why not you apply eea2 and then request back the passports for travel as it will not affect the application.
Yea, i'm aware you can get the Passport back. But for me it doesn't really make sense, as my Wife arrives end of November, we travel to Belfast just over 3 weeks later, so we would be applying for the RC, then asking for Passports back a week later.

It also gives us time to acquire Bank A/C, get registered at GP etc. All the things my Wife needs her Passport for. We'll send Application for RC as soon as we get back late December. Peace of mind to retain them for flights for me.