ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Clear view yet on Travelling abroad after Ceremony?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

samar0001

No Clear view yet on Travelling abroad after Ceremony?

Post by samar0001 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 pm

I am planning to travel India after ceremony as I don't have enough time to apply for British Passport and Indian Visa, People discussed this topic but still the thing is not clear what to do when returning back to UK Airport.

I found some of the people experience on the forum so thought about putting it all together

1) I applied for Citizenship and it was approved and I attended my ceremony in mid June. I had to travel back to my country at the start of July so I didn't have enough time to apply for my British Passport. Therefore I travelled with my country passport with my ILR. When I returned, I filled in a landing card just as before and went through passport control. They looked on the screen and asked why I was travelling on my ILR when I was a British Citizen. I told then I was not aware that this was a problem, but they held me there for over 15 minutes going off to check my passport etc.

Just be careful with using this option to re enter the UK as it does seem to cause border control some concern.

2) Ignoring Jambo's advice (at my own peril), when I returned from the US last week I joined the UK/EU queue and presented my US passport with my nationality certificate. No problem, no delay, and no stamp in the passport.

Your mileage may vary with this approach, but my reasoning was this:

1. As a British Citizen, the immigration officer has no discretion - they have to let you into the country (although, admittedly, you could be detained for a time whilst they obtain proof).

2. Once you are naturalised, your ILR is legally invalid.

3. Given 1 and 2, I would rather be detained or delayed for legally trying to enter the country than have to answer questions about why I'm trying to enter the country on an invalid visa.

Further to the above, an anecdote. Back when I was applying for a COA to marry my wife (a dual UK/Australian national), we both had to submit our passports, but she had to urgently travel abroad for a job interview. We contacted the Home Office for advice, and they said in no uncertain terms - if you need to, travel on your Australian passport, because as a British Citizen, you cannot be refused entry at the border.

Again, your mileage may vary.

The above 2 experiences differ a lot, Can we all put some more light on this topic so the thing can be clear to all.

My personal view is to go with second option, When you return show your Naturalisation certificate, Passport is just for travel when you attended ceremony you are British citizen.

When you are British Citizen all other British Visa's are invalid.

3 months grace period for Indian Passport is ok to travel out but when you enter the system will show you British, Questions will arise why you still showing Indian Visa.

Please guys your comments appreciated.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:09 pm

>>I am planning to travel India after ceremony as I don't have enough time to apply for British Passport and Indian Visa, People discussed this topic but still the thing is not clear what to do when returning back to UK Airport.>>

There is no right way

I have said this on this forum time and again. If you become a British Citizen you should travel on a British passport.

If its urgent, dont take the oath now, do your work and return to get naturalised.
If its not urgent, then do the right thing. Oath->BritishPP->Indian visa.
If you still want it your own way, then take your chances; you will be to enter UK albeit there may be some explanations to give at Immigration, so be honest and carry all paperwork.