ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization but using ILR to travel

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tunay

Naturalization but using ILR to travel

Post by Tunay » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:29 am

Is allowed to naturalized but travelling with ILR? That is British passport not yet obtained but still travelling on old passport with ILR

addh
- thin ice -

Post by addh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am

depends where you want to travel? depends if ur previous nationality allowed dual citizenship?

Tunay

Post by Tunay » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 am

My country allows dual citizenship
addh wrote:depends where you want to travel? depends if ur previous nationality allowed dual citizenship?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Tunay wrote:My country allows dual citizenship
You can continue to use your old passport. The main idea of the NCS is, for example, that you can continue using your passport while your application is being considered. After the naturalisation your old passport (with the IRL sticker inside) will remain valid since your country allows dual citizenship. Therefore, you can either use the British or old passport (but theoretically some countries are a bit particular with which passport you enter, although I doubt that this make a difference in practice).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm

If a person has been naturalised as British, does this not invalidate the persons ILR?? So if you travel on your passport that holds ILR, how will the person re-enter the UK if the ILR has been superceded by naturlisation??
Thanks
Char

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm

CR001 wrote:If a person has been naturalised as British, does this not invalidate the persons ILR?? So if you travel on your passport that holds ILR, how will the person re-enter the UK if the ILR has been superceded by naturlisation??
Technically, HO could request your passport back to invalidate the IRL-sticker, but why would they? Anyway, the IRL is fixed to your passport. You are not permitted to remove the sticker yourself. The passport itself remains completely valid and you are permitted to continue using it. I see no problem.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm

umb

Post by umb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I was in the same situation. I recently got British citizenship, but I had to travel to US for business reasons. Hence I travelled on my original passport (with ILR). I however took my nationality certificate with me and on my way back at the US airport I showed them my ILR and it was fine (not sure how they would have reacted if I would have shown them my nationality certificate). On Heathrow airport I showed them the Nationality certificate and it was fine as well. However I was asked to fill in the landing card as the IO said that because I'm presenting my non-UK passport as travel document and they have to stamp my passport I'm required to fill in the landing card. Other than filling in the landing card there was no issue at all. I'm not sure what would the situation be if I didn't had my nationality certificate. Maybe they would have done some more checks.

Hope this helps.

GBantony
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalization but using ILR to travel

Post by GBantony » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Hello,

Following these posts has been really helpful.

This past week I became a UK citizen, and in that position of not having yet applied for the UK passport. I have a question as I am traveling this weekend to Germany.

Is a copy of the Certificate of Naturalisation is sufficient, along with my US passport and ILR, for entry back into the UK?

(I will apply for the UK passport on my return.)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Naturalization but using ILR to travel

Post by Jambo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 am

You should be fine. Unlike the US, the UK doesn't require its citizens to enter the country using the British passport.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)