ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship test.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ctrl
Newly Registered

Citizenship test.

Post by Ctrl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find anything using the search function.

I'm from EU and have been living in the UK since 1996 permanently. I am planning to apply for a British passport and as I understand I need to apply for citizen neutralisation first? And I've been told that there is a test that needs to be taken, Life In UK? My question is, is it hard? And whee can I study for it? I'm not very good with history or remembering things so I am dreading this test :( don't want to loose £851 by failing it :/

Any advice much appreciated, thank you all :)

vij_sp_1980

Post by vij_sp_1980 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 am

How much will the test cost and how do I pay for it?
From 1st June 2011 the cost of the test is £50 (VAT inclusive).

you can buy the books from this site
http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp? ... kid=002363

trust me its simple :D

more information in below site
http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... index.html

trs2011
- thin ice -

Re: Citizenship test.

Post by trs2011 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 am

Ctrl wrote:Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find anything using the search function.

I'm from EU and have been living in the UK since 1996 permanently. I am planning to apply for a British passport and as I understand I need to apply for citizen neutralisation first? And I've been told that there is a test that needs to be taken, Life In UK? My question is, is it hard? And whee can I study for it? I'm not very good with history or remembering things so I am dreading this test :( don't want to loose £851 by failing it :/

Its very easy , i bought the books - 2 of them Life in the UK , read them for 5 days only ,Mon-Fri and sat the test on Sat . I finished the test in exactly 5 min and passed , i m sure i got 100% . I was a university student by then , last year December , so maybe thats why i found it so easy but i m certain you will pass it . Just buy those books and study nice and easy to help you since you said you have a problem with remembering things .
Good luck .

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 am

trs2011 wrote:Sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find anything using the search function.
Threads of interest: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=107512 (sticky) and http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=719554. At the moment, the test is really easy, but if you dread history, you should hurry.

Ctrl
Newly Registered

Post by Ctrl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 am

Thank you for the links Vij :) in the second website, I noticed something about ILR, what if I already have ILR from years ago... Since 2000 probably, do I still need to take the Life in UK test if I want to apply for neutralisation and then passport?

Gyfrinachgar sorry, I did search but the amount of results I got with words Life in UK words was overwhelming and I kept reading only to see people mentioning Life in UK test words in their posts but couldn't find anything I wanted to know sorry again :)

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 am

Ctrl wrote:Gyfrinachgar sorry, I did search but the amount of results I got with words Life in UK words was overwhelming and I kept reading only to see people mentioning Life in UK test words in their posts but couldn't find anything I wanted to know sorry again :)
No worries. At the moment, the test is really easy, but if you really dread history, you should hurry up. Read more in the second thread I mentioned above. Personally, I think it is awesome that they finally put more history in it (when I took the test I was taken aback by the puny bits they want us to know), but if you dislike it, better get a move on.

Ctrl
Newly Registered

Post by Ctrl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 am

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
trs2011 wrote:Sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find anything using the search function.
Threads of interest: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=107512 (sticky) and http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=719554. At the moment, the test is really easy, but if you dread history, you should hurry.
'I should hurry' indeed... :| that would kill me! I did terrible at history in school :( these tests, makes me angry to be honest, I've lived here long enough to know 'the way of life in UK' I pretty much grew up in this country, lived half of my life here? So I KNOW what the way of life is in the UK and some history about it. Gosh, most Bitish friends of mine tried the dummy test and faild... Ridiculous.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:45 pm

There are lots of websites with free practice questions just do a search. And you can also usually get the Citizenship guide from your nearest library.

ptriboan
Newly Registered

Post by ptriboan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 pm

trs2011 wrote:
Ctrl wrote:Hi everyone,

Its very easy , i bought the books - 2 of them Life in the UK , read them for 5 days only ,Mon-Fri and sat the test on Sat . I finished the test in exactly 5 min and passed , i m sure i got 100% . I was a university student by then , last year December , so maybe thats why i found it so easy but i m certain you will pass it . Just buy those books and study nice and easy to help you since you said you have a problem with remembering things .
Good luck .

hi guys, how many chapters do i have to read?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 pm

ptriboan wrote:hi guys, how many chapters do i have to read?
See here and here. You need to study the official study materials: the Life in the United Kingdom handbook, 2nd edition. Relevant are only chapters 2-6, which are reproduced (with or without annotations) in licenced 3rd party books. Try to keep your questions in a single topic, please.

ptriboan
Newly Registered

Post by ptriboan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
ptriboan wrote:hi guys, how many chapters do i have to read?
See here and here. You need to study the official study materials: the Life in the United Kingdom handbook, 2nd edition. Relevant are only chapters 2-6, which are reproduced (with or without annotations) in licenced 3rd party books. Changes have not yet come into force, will probably do so in 2013 (also see here). Try to keep your questions in a single topic, please.
thank you for the information...i wasnt sure if any new chapters were added....but yaa...thank u once again....

Ctrl
Newly Registered

Post by Ctrl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:38 pm

PG1983 wrote:There are lots of websites with free practice questions just do a search. And you can also usually get the Citizenship guide from your nearest library.
Thank you, googled for some and found one, I passed on all the ones where the questions were just about random things like when can you legally drive etc. but ones that ask you questions like what percentage of whatever or when year was this or that (dating way back to 1800's) I kept failing, and because I struggle to remember things, this will be a challenge for me, why oh why!! I've lived here long enough, shouldn't really have to take this test IMHO. But oh we'll will have to do it one way or another :(

Thank you for the information to everyone :)) much appreciated :)

Ctrl
Newly Registered

Post by Ctrl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:38 pm

I have another question guys. I know I need to get British neutralisation certificate which is £800 am I correct? And I need to take the life in UK test... if I fail the test, do I loose £800? Or is there a separate fee for the test and I can re take the test if I fail with ought loosing the £800? And how much does it cost for the test itself?

Thank you everyone!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:50 pm

You need to take the LITUK test first and only if and when you pass the test should you apply for naturalisation.
You may attempt the test as many time as you need to .. until you pass

The fees for naturalisation application does not include the fees for the test. Taking the test is a separate task altogether.
Last edited by geriatrix on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Ctrl
Newly Registered

Post by Ctrl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm

sushdmehta wrote:You need to take the LITUK test first and only if and when you pass the test should you apply for naturalisation.
You may attempt the test as many time as you need to .. until you pass

The fess for naturalisation application does not include the fees for the test. Taking the test is a separate task altogether.
Oh thank God for that!! I was under impression that the £800 fee was for everything... now I'm not so worried lol. I thought if I spend £800 and fail my test arghhh I'd cry haha thank you for clarifying that for me!! :)