ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa required for naturalised Irish citizen w/o PP?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

scrudu

Schengen visa required for naturalised Irish citizen w/o PP?

Post by scrudu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Regarding travel to Schengen countries - If a newly naturalised Irish citizen wishes to travel to an EU country and doesn't yet have an Irish passport, can they legally travel using the Irish Certificate of Citizenship, or do they need to apply for a Schengen Visa on their non-EU passport? According to http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 152_en.htm
All Union citizens have the right to enter another Member State by virtue of having an identity card or valid passport. Under no circumstances can an entry or exit visa be required. Where the citizens concerned do not have travel documents, the host Member State must afford them every reasonable means in obtaining the requisite documents or having them sent.
It doesn't help that the Irish citizenship Certificate is issued in Irish, so I can imagine problems with Airline Staff, as well as Immigration staff in the Schengen country, but legally it seems strange to have to apply for a visa.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am

Well ... I think it makes sense they expect you to have an Irish passport if you travel as an Irish citizen :-)

Even if you were born Irish I think no EU country would let you in just based on your Irish birth certificate for exemple - so I don't think hte fact of being naturalised makes a difference. The rule you quoted clearly says you need a passport or an ID card; and the country where you are travelling needs to give you the opportunity to obtain it if you have forgotten it or lost it.

If you travel with your other passport, you are traveling as a citizen of that other country and therefore need a visa.

If you are really in a rush, I am not sure about Ireland but I know some European countries can issue "laissez-passer" or emergency passports for emergency travel which are essencially a travel document valid for a short period within the EU in case you don't have a valid passport and need to travel urgently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_doc ... _passports

I saw that at the airport in Paris once. A French guy in front of me had lost his passport and had a temporary citizenship certificate which seemed to be valid EU wide (we were flying to Dublin). The Aer Lingus staff were not aware of this and had him wait to double check whether they could accept it as a travel docuement; and after 5 minutes they came back and said there was no issue and let him check-in.

Maybe you can research whether Ireland can do the same thing?

Malika

Re: Schengen visa required for naturalised Irish citizen w/o

Post by Malika » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am

scrudu wrote:Regarding travel to Schengen countries - If a newly naturalised Irish citizen wishes to travel to an EU country and doesn't yet have an Irish passport, can they legally travel using the Irish Certificate of Citizenship, or do they need to apply for a Schengen Visa on their non-EU passport? According to http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 152_en.htm
All Union citizens have the right to enter another Member State by virtue of having an identity card or valid passport. Under no circumstances can an entry or exit visa be required. Where the citizens concerned do not have travel documents, the host Member State must afford them every reasonable means in obtaining the requisite documents or having them sent.
It doesn't help that the Irish citizenship Certificate is issued in Irish, so I can imagine problems with Airline Staff, as well as Immigration staff in the Schengen country, but legally it seems strange to have to apply for a visa.
I think a Certificate of Naturalisation wouldn't be of any relevance outside of Ireland (maybe that's why its in Irish!)

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA