ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC and travelling and addresses.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

edthesock
Newly Registered

BC and travelling and addresses.

Post by edthesock » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 am

I got my ILR the other day and am now setting sights on BC though it is not a pressing thing and I will probably wait a few years. My question is how much time can I spend out of the UK without jeopardizing a future BC application? I will be off to SE Asia for winter and will go on a few other expeditions lasting 5 to 6 months over the next few years. Should I get the BC first or can it wait? I will not be residing anywhere, just travelling around.

I also act as a property caretaker in London and have lived at close to 20 different properties so I use my business address for everything including my ILR application. Will that do for my BC application? Thanks in advance.

bobobo

Re: BC and travelling and addresses.

Post by bobobo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:15 am

if you are away for 2 years at a strech your ILR will be lost/revoked.
edthesock wrote:I got my ILR the other day and am now setting sights on BC though it is not a pressing thing and I will probably wait a few years. My question is how much time can I spend out of the UK without jeopardizing a future BC application? I will be off to SE Asia for winter and will go on a few other expeditions lasting 5 to 6 months over the next few years. Should I get the BC first or can it wait? I will not be residing anywhere, just travelling around.

I also act as a property caretaker in London and have lived at close to 20 different properties so I use my business address for everything including my ILR application. Will that do for my BC application? Thanks in advance.

aledeniz

Re: BC and travelling and addresses.

Post by aledeniz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 pm

edthesock wrote:I will be off to SE Asia for winter and will go on a few other expeditions lasting 5 to 6 months over the next few years. Should I get the BC first or can it wait?
For BC there are 2 residential requirement:
"... - not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; ..."

Living 6 months per year abroad, will not help to fulfill both.

While there may be some discretion (see
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... cesfromuk/), I'd not count on that for my own application.