ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Starting my own company

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Qwerty-UK

Starting my own company

Post by Qwerty-UK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am

Hi. I hope someone can help me on this. I'm currently under a Tier 2 visa. I've read through the rules and I know I can't work for someone other than my sponsor for more than 20 hours per week and I can't own more than 10% shares in my sponsor's company. However, I can't find any information on starting my own company.

Ideally I'd like to start my own company to create a separate revenue stream. I definitely don't want to risk my chances of being denied ILR so if I want to play it safe, I can start a company in my wife's name and then buy it off her later.

Just to clarify, I want to remain as Tier 2 (for now) and register my own company (without any employees).

I will really appreciate any advice from someone who knows more about it.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:06 pm

There is nothing to prevent you owning a business in the UK. You can do that under any immigration status. Being employed by that business is another matter.

Qwerty-UK

Post by Qwerty-UK » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks for that. Yes, I won't employ myself. Best way to do it will be to pay myself dividends :)

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:40 am

Reading this topic may be relevant.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

tush1822
Newly Registered

Re: Starting my own company

Post by tush1822 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 am

Qwerty-UK wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am
Hi. I hope someone can help me on this. I'm currently under a Tier 2 visa. I've read through the rules and I know I can't work for someone other than my sponsor for more than 20 hours per week and I can't own more than 10% shares in my sponsor's company. However, I can't find any information on starting my own company.

Ideally I'd like to start my own company to create a separate revenue stream. I definitely don't want to risk my chances of being denied ILR so if I want to play it safe, I can start a company in my wife's name and then buy it off her later.

Just to clarify, I want to remain as Tier 2 (for now) and register my own company (without any employees).

I will really appreciate any advice from someone who knows more about it.

Hi Mate,

I am also in the same Dilemma. I will appreciate your experience and understanding so far.
Cheers
Tushar

Qwerty-UK

Re: Starting my own company

Post by Qwerty-UK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:45 am

Hi. I had incorporated a company but in my wife's name. I read the fine print, you're specifically not allowed to be a director of a company (FYI this was more than 4 years ago, may be different now).

However, I didn't have any income in my company until after I got my ILR. No issues having started the company which I still run.