ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Latest Possible Time to Switch (Tier 2 General)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Qwerty-UK

Latest Possible Time to Switch (Tier 2 General)

Post by Qwerty-UK » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi. I'm currently under a Tier 2 visa. I have 9 months to go before I qualify for ILR, however my visa expires in 5 months (May 2013). I can easily extend my visa in 4 months and then in 8 months I can apply for ILR.

However, I can't stand to work for my employer any more. I need something more interesting. I've read through the rules and I can't see any restrictions on what I'm planning to do. My plan is to switch employers by March 2013 (1 month before my visa expires), and then apply for ILR in September 2013. I would have effectively worked for them for 6 months only.

My question: is that allowed within the UKBA rules? I can't see anything stopping me (as long as I find willing sponsor).

Thanks!
Last edited by Qwerty-UK on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 pm

There are many rules that restrict a Tier 2 migrant from switching sponsors. Without knowing the exact Tier 2 category you are in and when was leave first granted under the category, no one will be able to answer your queries.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Qwerty-UK

Post by Qwerty-UK » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Sorry about that. I'm currently under Tier 2 General. History:
  • Sept 2008: Entered country as Work Permit holder (for specific company). This was issued in May 2008
  • May 2010: Switched to Tier 2 General
  • March 2013: planning to switch again

Qwerty-UK

Post by Qwerty-UK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Any advice sushdmehta?

Thanks.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm

1. You may switch.
2. Don't burn bridges with existing employer. Leave on a good note because if you have had absences from UK due to oversees assignments and annual leave, you'll need a letter to certify each and every such absence for your settlement application.
3. Make sure that you make it clear to any potential employer that you will join them on the condition that they will be ready to provide the necessary documentary evidences for your settlement application that are required from an employer / sponsor.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Qwerty-UK

Post by Qwerty-UK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

sushdmehta, another quick question.

If I instead decided to extend my visa with my current employer, is that allowed? Thispart really confuses me in the rules:
To qualify for the additional leave, you must have previously been given permission to stay for less than 2 years as:

a Business and Commercial work permit holder (which includes ICT work permits);
a Sports and Entertainment work permit holder;
a Jewish agency employee;
a member of the operational ground staff of an overseas-owned airline; or
a minister of religion, missionary or member of a religious order.
I don't belong in any of those. In May 2013, my Tier 2 visa will expire -I would have thought the extension would be straight forward but according to that, I might not even qualify for an extension.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 am

You are reading the wrong page. See here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /applying/