ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

going from youth mobiiity to unmarried partner (of 4 years)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

muffinman
Mood:
Australia

going from youth mobiiity to unmarried partner (of 4 years)

Post by muffinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi,
I have a couple of questions about applying for UK visa. I'm an Australian resident and have been living with my British girlfriend for four years in various countries around the world (we work in international development). We did a year in the UK (2010/11) and during that time I worked on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa which is due to expire next month. I set up a limited UK company and did contract work. I have a UK bank account with >£10k in it now.

Now that my visa is expiring I want to apply for an unmarried partner visa but have a couple possible problems. We don't actually live in the UK at the moment, we both live together in Africa. However, I'd still like to get the visa as soon as possible as I have ongoing contracts in the UK that I will need to go back to complete.

Can I get an unmarried partner visa even though we aren't actually living there right now?

Will it be a great disadvantage to apply after my current visa has expired?

Do you think there is a better option? like maybe Tier 1 Entrepreneur?

Thanks for the help!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm

You can apply from anywhere in the world. You will need a verifiable paper-trail of official instruments in your joint or individual names to a common address, spanning a period of two years. Your British partner will also require an income stream of 18,6K or more. Or substantial savings in lieu of this.

For Tier 1 (Ent) you will need 200K

muffinman
Mood:
Australia

Post by muffinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 pm

thanks for the fast reply.

We have records of common address in all the countries we have lived in the past 4 years including in London. Both of us can verfiy we earn greater than £18.6k however not from UK sources at the moment. Combined savings currently >£20k.

I guess my fear is that there is a part that says we must intend to reside in the UK. We do intend to at some point, but at least for the next 12 months we will mostly be in Africa with regular trips to the UK to complete contracts.

thanks for the help

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Your past income is fine, but without your sponsoring partner (you, the applicant, don't count in this capacity) having a confirmed income stream from employment to start on arrival in the UK at 18.6K, the visa will not be granted. In which case you will need 62,500 in savings.

muffinman
Mood:
Australia

Post by muffinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 pm

ok thanks. Actually her current income is coming from a employer in The Republic of Ireland - do you know if that will count?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

If this is going to continue on her arrival in the UK, is it salaried employment that will pay tax to HMRC or will it be self-employment income that she declares to HMRC?

muffinman
Mood:
Australia

Post by muffinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm

her work is salary employment, ongoing and >18.6k .... mine is freelance through my own limited companies in UK and Australia. But my UK one on its own doens't reach 18.6k

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm

You don't count wrt income as you are not applying inside the UK. If her income will continue then she will meet the financial requirements. It's just a matter of deciding which category.

muffinman
Mood:
Australia

Post by muffinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

ok thanks for your help.

last question... as my current youth mobility visa is still valid, would I be at a great advantage to apply from within the UK while it is still valid? or the same as applying from outside UK?

thanks

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm

[quote="Lucapooka"]You can apply from anywhere in the world. You will need a verifiable paper-trail of official instruments in your joint or individual names to a common address, spanning a period of two years. Your British partner will also require an income stream of 18,6K or more. Or substantial savings in lieu of this.

For Tier 1 (Ent) you will need 200K[/quo