ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

About 10 years' ILR SET-O.. has my continuous stay broken?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

godfather.rocks

About 10 years' ILR SET-O.. has my continuous stay broken?

Post by godfather.rocks » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 pm

I want to apply for ILR (on basis of 10 years’ continuous stay) but not sure if my continuous stay is broken.. and if I should proceed for application.

Currently, I am in the UK on Tier 1 work-permit, that expires in 2014.

I first came to the UK on 8th September 2002 on student visa. I kept extending my student-visa while being in the UK as I did multiple courses. When I finished my course, I left the UK on 27th October 2008 (then the student visa was valid until 31th October 2009).
While in India, I got another entry-clearance visa (Post-Study Tier 1 visa) on 3rd March 2009 and then I came back to the UK to work on 20th March 2009.

Please suggest? Has the 10 years’ continuous lawful residence been broken in that case? If so, why?

I hope, not.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

dreamfriend

Re: About 10 years' ILR SET-O.. has my continuous stay broke

Post by dreamfriend » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:02 pm

godfather.rocks wrote:I want to apply for ILR (on basis of 10 years’ continuous stay) but not sure if my continuous stay is broken.. and if I should proceed for application.

I first came to the UK on 8th September 2002 on student visa. I kept extending my student-visa while being in the UK as I did multiple courses. When I finished my course, I left the UK on 27th October 2008 (then the student visa was valid until 31th October 2009).
While in India, I got another entry-clearance visa (Post-Study Tier 1 visa) on 3rd March 2009 and then I came back to the UK to work on 20th March 2009.

Please suggest? Has the 10 years’ continuous lawful residence been broken in that case? If so, why?

I hope, not.

No, Because you had valid leave on the date of your departure and on the date of your return to the UK, and it within six months. See the guidance.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks for prompt response dreamfriend!

I had gone through the document you suggested. But the doubt as I couldn't find any totally relevant example.

Also that someone suggested that me I had two entry clearances to UK so continuous stay is broken.. 1st - during my visit in 2002 when I came as student.. and then 2nd - when I came back to the UK on PSW visa in 2009.

I think he is wrong and spreading rumours - but just want to be sure?

Also that - please clarify regarding documents to be submitted? I think, I just need to submit following regarding this postal-application:
  • application-form,
    all passports covering last 10 years,
    2 photographs,
    Visa BRP card,
    list about absences from the UK,
    and Life in the UK Test Pass Certificate.

dreamfriend

Post by dreamfriend » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm

You left on 27th of October 2008 and returned 20th of March 2009 So its within six month. So your continuous lawful residence was not broken.

It does not matter if there are more then one entry clearances. It has to be with in six month leave and entry date. "Continuous residence is not broken as the applicant had valid leave both when they left and returned to the UK"

Continuous residence is considered to be broken if the applicant has:

"been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is absent from the UK for a shorter period but does not have valid leave to enter the UK on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK"

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks dreamfriend..! That surely assures me.

Can you (or somebody else) please confirm regarding documents required as well?

Graceofgod

Post by Graceofgod » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am

godfather.rocks wrote:Thanks dreamfriend..! That surely assures me.

Hi,

The documents you mentioned above are sufficient to support your SET(0) application on 10 years lawful stay basis.
Wish you good luck,

Graceofgod

Post by Graceofgod » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 am

Graceofgod wrote:
godfather.rocks wrote:Thanks dreamfriend..! That surely assures me.

Hi,

The documents you mentioned above are sufficient to support your SET(0) application on 10 years lawful stay basis.
Wish you good luck,
Also do not forget to enclose photocopies of passports pages with stamps and visas on, BRP, and LIUK pass notification letter.

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah.. will post the photo-copies as well.

Thanks a lot guys..!! Hope to make the application in about 1 week.

godfather.rocks

Re: About 10 years' ILR SET-O.. has my continuous stay broke

Post by godfather.rocks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 pm

dreamfriend wrote:
godfather.rocks wrote:I want to apply for ILR (on basis of 10 years’ continuous stay) but not sure if my continuous stay is broken.. and if I should proceed for application.

I hope, not.

No, Because you had valid leave on the date of your departure and on the date of your return to the UK, and it within six months. See the guidance.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
Just noticed that I mentioned the dates wrong in my original email - my student-visa was valid untill 31st Oct 2008, not 31st Oct 2009.

Correct dates will be: 'when I finished my course, I left the UK on 27th October 2008 (then the student visa was valid until 31th October 2008). And while in India, I got another entry-clearance visa (Post-Study Tier 1 visa) on 3rd March 2009 and then I came back to the UK to work on 20th March 2009.

Does this change anything? I hope I still qualify for extension.

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Someone please suggest???

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 am

dreamfriend wrote:You left on 27th of October 2008 and returned 20th of March 2009 So its within six month. So your continuous lawful residence was not broken.

It does not matter if there are more then one entry clearances. It has to be with in six month leave and entry date. "Continuous residence is not broken as the applicant had valid leave both when they left and returned to the UK"

Continuous residence is considered to be broken if the applicant has:

"been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is absent from the UK for a shorter period but does not have valid leave to enter the UK on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK"
Note that leave is not required when you are outside the UK. You had valid leave when exiting and entering the UK, within six months.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks vinny. But your response was to the old reply from dreamfriend.

Can you please relook into my post with corrected-dates and suggest if continuous stay is still valid?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am

vinny wrote:Note that leave is not required when you are outside the UK. You had valid leave when exiting and entering the UK, within six months.
Did the corrected dates make any of the above false?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm

vinny wrote:
vinny wrote:Note that leave is not required when you are outside the UK. You had valid leave when exiting and entering the UK, within six months.
Did the corrected dates make any of the above false?
No it didn't.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 am

Then your continuous stay should still be okay.

godfather.rocks

Post by godfather.rocks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks all. Application posted.

Duao main yaad rakhna.. :)