ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about a switch from Student visa to tier 2 general

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mgmtgraduk
Newly Registered

Question about a switch from Student visa to tier 2 general

Post by mgmtgraduk » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi,

I am in talks with a perspective employer and I have a few questions at the moment about switching from student visa to tier-2, as PSW is cancelled:

1. My degree is just completed and marks are yet not out. I tried to get a degree completion certificate from school, but as obvious, I got a provisional certificate, which is not accepted by UKBA.
How can I apply before I get a degree certificate? My visa gets expired mid-Feb 2013, and a degree letter might get after the 1st Feb 2013, so I have a very little time.

2. Assuming I get the degree certificate and I apply, how many days likely it takes until i get visa stamped? Also, during that period, what is my visa status? Can I work for that employer?

Thank you.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am

1. you can post the application any time up to and including the date of expiry of your visa, so if the degree cert. will be available on 1 Feb there shouldn't be a problem.

2. while the application is being processed your present Tier 4 visa status continues, i.e. you can only work the hours permitted for students.

Look at the timelines posted on the forum to get some idea how long postal applications take to process. The alternative would be the premium service (costs more and not easy to book).

mgmtgraduk
Newly Registered

Post by mgmtgraduk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 pm

manci wrote:1. you can post the application any time up to and including the date of expiry of your visa, so if the degree cert. will be available on 1 Feb there shouldn't be a problem.

2. while the application is being processed your present Tier 4 visa status continues, i.e. you can only work the hours permitted for students.

Look at the timelines posted on the forum to get some idea how long postal applications take to process. The alternative would be the premium service (costs more and not easy to book).
Thank you Manci.

I am clear on the first point.
The second point - how many work hours during the visa transfer period. I came across a FAQ document from Edinburgh university that says -
"During this period, you can work full-time in a temporary job until your student visa expires."
(The document: http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.94179 ... %20pdf.pdf )
Does that mean 44 hrs a week, or only 20 hrs a week as permitted to students?

Thank you.

adnreika
Russia

Post by adnreika » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:45 pm

mgmtgraduk wrote:
manci wrote:1. you can post the application any time up to and including the date of expiry of your visa, so if the degree cert. will be available on 1 Feb there shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you Manci.

The second point - how many work hours during the visa transfer period. I came across a FAQ document from Edinburgh university that says -
"During this period, you can work full-time in a temporary job until your student visa expires."

Thank you.
I think you can work full-time (more than 20) now. You have to work maximum 20 hours when you have classes / during term time.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm

mgmtgraduk wrote:

Thank you Manci.

Thank you.
you are not restricted to 20 hours a week once you have completed your course and still have valid leave. The details and restrictions are here (3rd item from top)
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/working_after.php

mgmtgraduk
Newly Registered

Post by mgmtgraduk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm

manci wrote:
mgmtgraduk wrote:

Thank you Manci.

Thank you.
you are not restricted to 20 hours a week once you have completed your course and still have valid leave. The details and restrictions are here (3rd item from top)
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/working_after.php
Thank you adnreika and manci. This has been very useful.

APJMAN
Newly Registered

Re: Question about a switch from Student visa to tier 2 gene

Post by APJMAN » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:43 pm

hi Manci

i came in 2009 on student visa completed and passed masters in accounting and finance in 2011.

Had PSW visa from april 2011 to april 2013.

Now on student visa from april 2013, doing ACCA and have passed 8 exams . this visa expires in april 2015

I Have been working as an assistant management accountant and company offering me sponsorship under tier 2

My question can i switch from tier 4 to tier 2 ???

Many thanks in advance...

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Question about a switch from Student visa to tier 2 gene

Post by manci » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:28 pm

@ APJMAN
yes, you can switch from T4 to T2G provided you had continuous leave since you obtained your UK masters degree. The rules are in paras 16-18 of the policy guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _08-14.pdf