ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Successful ILR at Croydon 14-jan-2013

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anandv76
Newly Registered

Successful ILR at Croydon 14-jan-2013

Post by anandv76 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

We got our ILR application approved on 14 Jan 2013 at Croydon. Below are details of our application:

1) Came to UK in Oct 2007 on Work Permit
2) Applied for and got Tier-1 (General) in June 2010 via postal application
3) Baby born to us in the UK in Apr-2011
4) Applied for baby’s Tier-1 (General) visa as dependant in Jul-2011 and received in 4 weeks.
5) Applied for extension in Apr 2012 for all three of us and got approval only in Jul-2012 (again postal application).
6) Applied for ILR via PEO at Croydon in Jan-2013
7) Have been in permanent jobs since coming to UK but my first job change was in Oct-2012
8.) around 165 days outside of UK and most of them as paid annual leave

Process: We reported at Lunar House half an hour ahead of scheduled time (8.30am). We were seated for a few minutes and then asked to go in around 8.10am for security check. We had a baby pram/buggy and other baby food/milk etc. and these were allowed in without any questions. Once through security, we were asked to go to the counter on the ground floor to verify the appointment letter, check passports etc. Once done, he gave us a token with a number on it, and asked us to go to 1st floor to make the payment. We did so which didn’t take more than 2 minutes as there were many people ahead of us. We were then asked to take a seat and wait for our token number to be called but thankfully we didn’t have to wait as our number was called almost immediately.

At the counter, the case worker asked for application form and passports. She did something on her terminal for a few minutes, looked at the application in detail, scribbled something on the form, and asked whether I was employed or self-employed. She then asked us to go for registering our biometrics, and wait for our turn.

Again, we didn’t have to wait as the biometric officer announced our token almost immediately. He verified a few things and then asked us to sit on the chair one by one, my daughter being the first and me being last! They offered a soft toy to us to get our daughter to look at the camera and were cooperative as my daughter was slightly restless given she is only 21 months. After a few clicks, they managed to get one that was satisfactory followed by my wife and then me. The officer read out the standard disclosure details and asked both adults if we were known by any other name earlier, and whether we had our finger prints taken in the past anywhere including at a police station.

We were then asked to go back to the waiting area and wait for our token to be called, and for the third time we didn’t have a moment to sit down as we were called to the same counter as before. The case worker then asked for the application form again, passports, and biometric along with copies of the same. She verified the documents and then started asking for original documentary evidence and their photocopies one by one: Life in the UK test, current employment letter (she again asked if I was employed or self-employed before asking for letter from employer), pay-slips, bank account statements, 5 years of P60s, work permit and proof of cohabitation. I mentioned to her that my bank account was jointly held and statements were addressed to both my wife and I, but she insisted on another set of cohabitation proof which I had handy nevertheless.

Once she had all the documents, she asked us to come back after an hour or so whilst she evaluates our case. She also pulled down the screen and after an hour and a quarter, she was back again. So we went back to the counter whilst she finished her work, for around half an hour or so. She returned my originals in the meantime and asked me to check if everything was in order.

For a long time, it was very quiet and I wasn’t sure whether the application was approved or not. Eventually, she started ripping the biometric cards apart and I got my answer (well, more or less). She then congratulated us and said our ILR application was successful and that we would receive our new biometric cards within 4-10 days though it usually is earlier than that. She also handed over a signed letter (only one letter) addressed to me (and didn’t include any details of dependants) which mentioned the same thing about the biometric cards. The letter did not mention anything about the successful ILR application and I found it quite strange since the previous Tier-1 approval letters were quite explicit. Nevertheless, we then left the Croydon office.

One of my friends had his appointment the next day again at Croydon and he received three individual letters addressed to him (main applicant) and dependants which I found quite surprising. I was a little nervous having heard about it as I had no evidence that I had dependants in my application. But all the fears were washed away when I received the biometric cards on the second day after my appointment date (excluding appointment date).

Other documents that I had carried and intended to provide as evidence (but never really got a chance or was asked for):
• UKBA Points Based Calculator self assessment summary
• UK NARIC Letter of Comparison
• Letter of Approval from UKBA for previous Leave to Remain under Tier-1 (General)
• Letter of Approval from UKBA for initial Leave to Remain under Tier-1 (General)
• Letter of Approval from UKBA for initial Leave to Remain under Tier-1 (General) for child
• Previous biometric enrolment confirmation from Post Office
• Original birth certificate of child
• Original marriage certificate
• Current confirmation of employment
• Current year’s P45 certificate
• Contracts of employment from both employers
• Relieving letter from previous employer
• Reference Letters from previous employer addressed to various agencies on random dates in the last 5 years

In case anyone has any questions, please revert. Many thanks to everyone on this forum and good luck to all who are applying for any type of visa.
Last edited by anandv76 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SU2012
- thin ice -

Post by SU2012 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Anand,

Congratulations. Couple of questions.

1. You said you are employed. What is the Employment letter caseworker asked for ? As I understand, if you are applying on Tier 1, you dont need to provide any employment letter?

2. 5 Year P60s - Again for Tier1, I thought these are not required.

3. Cohabitation proof - Did you just provide one cohabitation proof which is electoral register? My name is not spelt correctly on the register. Whom and how did you contact to get the electoral register for previous years?

Thanks in advance

skymoon

Post by skymoon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Congratulation anandv76

patt

Post by patt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Congrats for your ILR.

I applied ILR the same day as your (14th Jan), I have been waiting for my biometric card 3 days already.

I'm so nervous and worry at the moment.

Patt

guri_78

Re: Successful ILR at Croydon 14-jan-2013

Post by guri_78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Why did you ILR for you child who is born in UK....any reason?
I am applying my ILR and thinking to exclude my son as he is born in UK.....
anandv76 wrote:Hi everyone,

We got our ILR application approved on 14 Jan 2013 at Croydon. Below are details of our application:

4) Applied for baby’s Tier-1 (General) visa as dependant in Jul-2012 and received in 4 weeks.
5) Applied for extension in Apr 2012 for all three of us and got approval only in Jul-2012 (again postal application).
7) Have been in permanent jobs since coming to UK but my first job change was in Oct-2012
8) around 165 days outside of UK and most of them as paid annual leave

Process: We reported at Lunar House half an hour ahead of scheduled time (8.30am). We were seated for a few minutes and then asked to go in around 8.10am for security check. We had a baby pram/buggy and other baby food/milk etc. and these were allowed in without any questions. Once through security, we were asked to go to the counter on the ground floor to verify the appointment letter, check passports etc. Once done, he gave us a token with a number on it, and asked us to go to 1st floor to make the payment. We did so which didn’t take more than 2 minutes as there were many people ahead of us. We were then asked to take a seat and wait for our token number to be called but thankfully we didn’t have to wait as our number was called almost immediately.

At the counter, the case worker asked for application form and passports. She did something on her terminal for a few minutes, looked at the application in detail, scribbled something on the form, and asked whether I was employed or self-employed. She then asked us to go for registering our biometrics, and wait for our turn.

Again, we didn’t have to wait as the biometric officer announced our token almost immediately. He verified a few things and then asked us to sit on the chair one by one, my daughter being the first and me being last! They offered a soft toy to us to get our daughter to look at the camera and were cooperative as my daughter was slightly restless given she is only 21 months. After a few clicks, they managed to get one that was satisfactory followed by my wife and then me. The officer read out the standard disclosure details and asked both adults if we were known by any other name earlier, and whether we had our finger prints taken in the past anywhere including at a police station.

We were then asked to go back to the waiting area and wait for our token to be called, and for the third time we didn’t have a moment to sit down as we were called to the same counter as before. The case worker then asked for the application form again, passports, and biometric along with copies of the same. She verified the documents and then started asking for original documentary evidence and their photocopies one by one: Life in the UK test, current employment letter (she again asked if I was employed or self-employed before asking for letter from employer), pay-slips, bank account statements, 5 years of P60s, work permit and proof of cohabitation. I mentioned to her that my bank account was jointly held and statements were addressed to both my wife and I, but she insisted on another set of cohabitation proof which I had handy nevertheless.

Once she had all the documents, she asked us to come back after an hour or so whilst she evaluates our case. She also pulled down the screen and after an hour and a quarter, she was back again. So we went back to the counter whilst she finished her work, for around half an hour or so. She returned my originals in the meantime and asked me to check if everything was in order.

For a long time, it was very quiet and I wasn’t sure whether the application was approved or not. Eventually, she started ripping the biometric cards apart and I got my answer (well, more or less). She then congratulated us and said our ILR application was successful and that we would receive our new biometric cards within 4-10 days though it usually is earlier than that. She also handed over a signed letter (only one letter) addressed to me (and didn’t include any details of dependants) which mentioned the same thing about the biometric cards. The letter did not mention anything about the successful ILR application and I found it quite strange since the previous Tier-1 approval letters were quite explicit. Nevertheless, we then left the Croydon office.

One of my friends had his appointment the next day again at Croydon and he received three individual letters addressed to him (main applicant) and dependants which I found quite surprising. I was a little nervous having heard about it as I had no evidence that I had dependants in my application. But all the fears were washed away when I received the biometric cards on the second day after my appointment date (excluding appointment date).

Other documents that I had carried and intended to provide as evidence (but never really got a chance or was asked for):
• Letter of Approval from UKBA for previous Leave to Remain under Tier-1 (General)
• Letter of Approval from UKBA for initial Leave to Remain under Tier-1 (General)
• Letter of Approval from UKBA for initial Leave to Remain under Tier-1 (General) for child
• Reference Letters from previous employer addressed to various agencies on random dates in the last 5 years

In case anyone has any questions, please revert. Many thanks to everyone on this forum and good luck to all who are applying for any type of visa.

anandv76
Newly Registered

Post by anandv76 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Oversight mainly, but as Indian I would have had to surrender my child's Indian Passport once my child was registered as British Citizen. And additionally, I believe I would have had to register my child at a Police Station whenever I went to India as she would be a foreigner. I would rather my child have the same kind of document as I do.
guri_78 wrote:Why did you ILR for you child who is born in UK....any reason?

4) Applied for baby’s Tier-1 (General) visa as dependant in Jul-2012 and received in 4 weeks.

anandv76
Newly Registered

Post by anandv76 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 pm

1. The case worker asked me whether I was employed or self-employed, and when I said the former, she asked me whether I had any letter from the employer. I had already anticipated it as I had changed jobs recently, and had obtained a reference letter from my organisation addressed to the Home Office. So I handed it over and she was satisfied.

2. I believe this is not a strict requirement but is frequently asked for, as my friend who went the folllowing day was asked for P60s too. I had it and so was able to provide.

3. When the case worker asked for evidence of cohabitation, I pointed her to the bank statements which were addressed to both my wife and I (being jointly held bank account). However, she insisted on another type of document that I could provide. Again, I had anticipated it and carried with me around 8 council tax letters spread over the last two years that were addressed to both of us. I had received council tax reminders for delays in payments many times (delay only by a week or so!) and in hindsight, it proved helpful. Again, instead of arguing I provided documents as I was carrying them.

Hope that answers your questions. Good luck!
SU2012 wrote:Hi Anand,

Congratulations. Couple of questions.

1. You said you are employed. What is the Employment letter caseworker asked for ? As I understand, if you are applying on Tier 1, you dont need to provide any employment letter?

2. 5 Year P60s - Again for Tier1, I thought these are not required.

3. Cohabitation proof - Did you just provide one cohabitation proof which is electoral register? My name is not spelt correctly on the register. Whom and how did you contact to get the electoral register for previous years?

Thanks in advance

kiranchinnu
Member of Standing

Post by kiranchinnu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

anandv76 wrote:Oversight mainly, but as Indian I would have had to surrender my child's Indian Passport once my child was registered as British Citizen. And additionally, I believe I would have had to register my child at a Police Station whenever I went to India as she would be a foreigner. I would rather my child have the same kind of document as I do.

That is wrong if (s)he hold OCI then no need , pls refer to 3(ii) in this link:
http://www.indembassy.co.il/OCI-PIO.htm

Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

anandv76
Newly Registered

Post by anandv76 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you, I didn't know that.
kiranchinnu wrote:
anandv76 wrote:Oversight mainly, but as Indian I would have had to surrender my child's Indian Passport once my child was registered as British Citizen. And additionally, I believe I would have had to register my child at a Police Station whenever I went to India as she would be a foreigner. I would rather my child have the same kind of document as I do.

That is wrong if (s)he hold OCI then no need , pls refer to 3(ii) in this link:
http://www.indembassy.co.il/OCI-PIO.htm

Vidhya Bharathidasan
Newly Registered

Post by Vidhya Bharathidasan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am

Previous biometric enrolment confirmation from Post Office

Hi,

you have mentioned this was an additional document that you carried with you, well I'm unsure as to what this is? I've not had my biometrics done so far, had my HSMP in 2008 and Tier 1 in 2010. Please advise.

anandv76
Newly Registered

Post by anandv76 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

It was the receipt and a note from the Post Office confirming my fingerprints and photograph were taken when I last registered my biometric details. Hope it clarifies.
Vidhya Bharathidasan wrote:Previous biometric enrolment confirmation from Post Office

Hi,

you have mentioned this was an additional document that you carried with you, well I'm unsure as to what this is? I've not had my biometrics done so far, had my HSMP in 2008 and Tier 1 in 2010. Please advise.

MARCH

WORK PERMIT APPROVAL LETTER

Post by MARCH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi,

Do they ask/check for the original work permit approval letter when deciding your application as i have lost it and i will be applying for ILR shortly?
Would it be ok if i dont have orignal wp approval letter but having p60 for last four years which was issude by the same employer and a letter showing my soc code, salary etc from employer?

Your reply will be highly appriciated.

Regards,.....