ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Padi123

British Citizenship Application

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Hello,

I am currently in the process of filling in my AN application for citizenship. I have trouble with some sections of the application e.g.:

SECTION 2.4

- EEA NATIONALS EXERCISING EC TREATY RIGHTS

In my understanding this point says that EEA Nationals should fill in this part by providing what they where doing over the 6 years? However, when I read the guide on this part of the application it says that I DO NOT have to fill in this part of the application if I have Permanent Residence (infinite leave to remain). Do I have to fill in this part of the form?

Next part of the application that I am unsure about is:

SECTION 3: good character requirements

It says what is my occupation in point 3.1 to which I wrote that I am a student. Do I have to state my colleges name, address etc. in point 3.3 & 3.4 even though it asks for name of employer or business, it doesnt mention school or college in any way.

I would appreciate any help,

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Padi123 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: British Citizenship Application

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Padi123 wrote:In my understanding this point says that EEA Nationals should fill in this part by providing what they where doing over the 6 years? However, when I read the guide on this part of the applications it says that I DO NOT have to fill in this part of the application if I have Permanent Residence (infinite leave to remain). Do I have to fill in this part of the form?
You can, but don't have to. Simplest way would be to write: "please refer to enclosed PR document". If you do not have such a document, you need to fill this section out completely (and enclose a lot more paperwork).
Padi123 wrote:It says what is my occupation in point 3.1 to which I wrote that I am a student. Do I have to state my colleges name, address etc. in point 3.3 & 3.4 even thought it asks for name of employer or business, it doesnt mention school or college in any way.
Yes, I would give college details.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
Padi123 wrote:In my understanding this point says that EEA Nationals should fill in this part by providing what they where doing over the 6 years? However, when I read the guide on this part of the applications it says that I DO NOT have to fill in this part of the application if I have Permanent Residence (infinite leave to remain). Do I have to fill in this part of the form?
You can, but don't have to. Simplest way would be to write: "please refer to enclosed PR document". If you do not have such a document, you need to fill this section out completely (and enclose a lot more paperwork).
Padi123 wrote:It says what is my occupation in point 3.1 to which I wrote that I am a student. Do I have to state my colleges name, address etc. in point 3.3 & 3.4 even thought it asks for name of employer or business, it doesnt mention school or college in any way.
Yes, I would give college details.
Thanks for such a quick response. I din't quite add some details regarding my case as I was on a phone. I do have a permanent resident in the UK, so I recon I don't have to fill in that part of the application after all. What do you mean "refer to PR documents", meaning to the documents that confirm that I received permanent resident or is there something else?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Padi123 wrote:What do you mean "refer to PR documents", meaning to the documents that confirm that I received permanent resident or is there something else?
Yes, usually a blue paper booklet with your PR-sticker in it which one receives after submitting form EEA3.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
Padi123 wrote:What do you mean "refer to PR documents", meaning to the documents that confirm that I received permanent resident or is there something else?
Yes, usually a blue paper booklet with your PR-sticker in it which one receives after submitting form EEA3.
Okey dokey. I have that. :)

Regarding another point that I am a little bit unsure of:

REFEREES

I've submitted two referees which are both from my college. One is a teacher and the other is an executive officer. The thing that worries me is that it states that they cannot be related to one another. Does "related" mean like a family or "work friends" which could have an impact on their biased opinion?

Tra2003

Post by Tra2003 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Padi123 wrote:
Gyfrinachgar wrote:

REFEREES

I've submitted two referees which are both from my college. One is a teacher and the other is an executive officer. The thing that worries me is that it states that they cannot be related to one another. Does "related" mean like a family or "work friends" which could have an impact on their biased opinion?

For referees "related" means family related, your referees are only work related. So you will be fine using both referees as both of them are not related family-wise. Hope this answers any doubts you may have.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Tra2003 wrote:
Padi123 wrote:
Gyfrinachgar wrote:

REFEREES

For referees "related" means family related, your referees are only work related. So you will be fine using both referees as both of them are not related family-wise. Hope this answers any doubts you may have.
Indeed, it does. Thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Padi123 wrote:I do have a permanent resident in the UK, so I recon I don't have to fill in that part of the application after all.
You can skip this section if the issue date of your PR booklet is more than 1 year before the date you apply. If this is not the case, you will need to fill in this section and provide evidence you have obtained PR status at least one year before applying for BC.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Jambo wrote:
Padi123 wrote:I do have a permanent resident in the UK, so I recon I don't have to fill in that part of the application after all.
You can skip this section if the issue date of your PR booklet is more than 1 year before the date you apply. If this is not the case, you will need to fill in this section and provide evidence you have obtained PR status at least one year before applying for BC.
Okey, thank you. I received my PR 2 years ago, so I should be fine.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:06 pm

I've encountered another problem. =/ Regarding the dates I've been absent from the UK, I don't really remember the exact dates I've been out... Can I provide approximate dates and number of days I've been out? I suppose they will check the exact dates themselves anyway?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Padi123 wrote:I've encountered another problem. =/ Regarding the dates I've been absent from the UK, I don't really remember the exact dates I've been out... Can I provide approximate dates and number of days I've been out? I suppose they will check the exact dates themselves anyway?
Yes. Just fill in the most accurate you can.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:21 am

Jambo wrote:
Padi123 wrote:I've encountered another problem. =/ Regarding the dates I've been absent from the UK, I don't really remember the exact dates I've been out... Can I provide approximate dates and number of days I've been out? I suppose they will check the exact dates themselves anyway?
Thank you Jambo.

When it says to provide the date that you have settled in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain), does that mean to provide the date when I have received my permanent resident (found on a small blue card)?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 am

Padi123 wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Thank you Jambo.

When it says to provide the date that you have settled in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain), does that mean to provide the date when I have received my permanent resident (found on a small blue card)?
Yes

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Is it true that when my applications fails, I don't get my money refunded (except £80 for ceremony) and would have to re-pay the entire sum of £851 every time?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Padi123 wrote:Is it true that when my applications fails, I don't get my money refunded (except £80 for ceremony) and would have to re-pay the entire sum of £851 every time?
Yes.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
Padi123 wrote:Is it true that when my applications fails, I don't get my money refunded (except £80 for ceremony) and would have to re-pay the entire sum of £851 every time?
Yes.
Jesus, this is scary....I didn't expect that.

In that case, I will ask more things that I am not sure about, sorry for being such a spammer but I am applying for British Citizenship with my younger brother, he is 13 and I am 20 and I don't want my applications to be returned. =/ Can someone also please help (maybe from their own experience) by answering the following?

Referees and Identity

In this section it asks me for a photograph. I have taken my photograph in my local chemist but I don't know whether they are actually correct. On the chemists advertisement it clearly states "Passport Photographs" but are they correct? I can see slight shadows around the head, is that correct for passport photograph or do I need to retake them in a professional studio?

MN1 FORM - SECTION 1: Child's partents

In this section it asks for my brothers parents where I obviously put details of my mom and dad, but do I need to include any evidence that they are actually my brothers parents or leave this as it is? In point 1.27 it also asks for my fathers ILR date - do I need to provide his Permanent Residence card with my younger brothers application as well, or is this not needed?

FORM MN1 & AN - Residence requirements section

In this section it asks for past addresses, do I need to provide any evidence that we have lived in each address e.g. bills, electricity etc.? Or was this only the case during the Permanent Resident application?

FORM MN1 - Section 3

Do I need to fill in this section for my brother? Both of our parents aren't British Citizens and we were not born in the UK, so does that mean that I skip the entire SECTION 3 ?

Thank you very much for helping me with my concerns. Without this forum I would quite frankly panic and most likely not have most of the questions filled in correctly. You guys are a lot of help, I appreciate it.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Sorry, unfortunately I can't help you much with MN1 - I have no experience with that. As for the other points:
Padi123 wrote:Jesus, this is scary....I didn't expect that.
Relax, you have PR documentation - normally this application should be a piece of cake. That is the beauty of EEA3: a cheap (free!) way to error-proof your application.
Padi123 wrote:In that case, I will ask more things that I am not sure about, sorry for being such a spammer
No worries. :) People who plan ahead and take things seriously are most welcomed.
Padi123 wrote:In this section it asks me for a photograph. (...) I can see slight shadows around the head, is that correct for passport photograph or do I need to retake them in a professional studio?
Compared to passport applications, the photo rules are much more relaxed for citizenship. As long as it is clearly you, not computer modified, and suitable for the purpose (not with sunglasses and Caipirinha on a beach...), it will be absolutely fine. For your passport application, I would strongly recommend a good photo-studio (still costs less than a tenner), but for now that'll do just fine.
Padi123 wrote:Residence requirements section. In this section it asks for past addresses, do I need to provide any evidence that we have lived in each address e.g. bills, electricity etc.? Or was this only the case during the Permanent Resident application?
No evidene of address required. Your passport, PR document and LITUK test certificate should do the trick.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:Sorry, unfortunately I can't help you much with MN1 - I have no experience with that. As for the other points:
Padi123 wrote:Jesus, this is scary....I didn't expect that.
Relax, you have PR documentation - normally this application should be a piece of cake. That is the beauty of EEA3: a cheap (free!) way to error-proof your application.
Padi123 wrote:In that case, I will ask more things that I am not sure about, sorry for being such a spammer
No worries. :) People who plan ahead and take things seriously are most welcomed.
Padi123 wrote:In this section it asks me for a photograph. (...) I can see slight shadows around the head, is that correct for passport photograph or do I need to retake them in a professional studio?
Compared to passport applications, the photo rules are much more relaxed for citizenship. As long as it is clearly you, not computer modified, and suitable for the purpose (not with sunglasses and Caipirinha on a beach...), it will be absolutely fine. For your passport application, I would strongly recommend a good photo-studio (still costs less than a tenner), but for now that'll do just fine.
Padi123 wrote:Residence requirements section. In this section it asks for past addresses, do I need to provide any evidence that we have lived in each address e.g. bills, electricity etc.? Or was this only the case during the Permanent Resident application?
No evidene of address required. Your passport, PR document and LITUK test certificate should do the trick.
Thank you for such a quick reply. When I'm reading this website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... documents/ on the documents required for naturalisation applications, it says "You should send the original documents, not copies. You should provide translations of any documents not in English.". I obviously don't have a British nationality, so my documents e.g. Birth Certificate is not in english - do I need to translate this piece of paper to english language?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Padi123 wrote:I am applying for British Citizenship with my younger brother, he is 13
Was your brother born in the UK or abroad? How long has he been living in the UK? Is one of your parents British now?

Normally a child born abroad can't apply if his parents don't apply / are already British.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Jambo wrote:
Padi123 wrote:I am applying for British Citizenship with my younger brother, he is 13
Was your brother born in the UK or abroad? How long has he been living in the UK? Is one of your parents British now?

Normally a child born abroad can't apply if his parents don't apply / are already British.
My brother was born abroad, just like my entire family. None of us have British citizenship. We moved over to the UK in 2005 and have been living here ever since. We all have Permanent Resident inc. my 13 years old brother. We are both doing separate applications; I'm doing the AN and he is doing MN1. Does that mean that my brother cannot apply for British Citizenship with me but with his parents?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 am

A child born abroad can't normally apply for BC if his parents don't apply for it. See Q1 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Children.

You can apply for BC as you are over 18.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:38 am

Can I act as my brothers legal guardian on which his application will base, or only parents have that advantage?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 am

Padi123 wrote:Can I act as my brothers legal guardian on which his application will base, or only parents have that advantage?
No (unless you are actually his legal guardian, not only for immigration purposes).

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 am

This is so stupid...They dont explain anything...Nowhere on their web it states how it works for children under 18 from EU whos parents arent British...Jambo - can you please confirm about what happens with my application if I dont provide enough docunents and/or wrong documents? Does my application automatically FAIL and I have to repay £851 or will they just tell me to send them additional documents?

Furtheremore, is there any way to contact the advise center via telephone?

I am confused...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:13 pm

This has nothing to do with you being EU nationals. Children born abroad would normally not be granted BC unless their parents apply with them.

It is possible to apply but the application is at discretion and you need a very good reasoning why the child best interest is to become British.

As for your application, it is quite simple. As you have a PR confirmation already, you need your passport, life in the UK test proof. As EEA nationals passport are not stamped, you might need to bring proof you have been living in the UK for 5 years (for example school letter). If the HO feel some data is missing, they will not refuse the application and will write to you. Most refusal are because people don't meet the residence requirement or that their character is not good enough.

I suggest your use NCS to go over the form before submitting.