ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Medical Insurance for Family visitors

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

satmvv

Medical Insurance for Family visitors

Post by satmvv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I am trying to get a private medical insurance cover from a UK firm for my mother in law who is planning to visit us for 5 months. Can anyone please recommend an insurance company that they may have either used or have knowledge of being reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

You need to elaborate on your thinking for this. Visitors are permitted to use the NHS emergency services. If she needs attention for a pre-existing condition that is not an emergency, she will not get insurance for that. Otherwise, consider travel insurance with medical cover

satmvv

Post by satmvv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Lucapooka wrote:You need to elaborate on your thinking for this. Visitors are permitted to use the NHS emergency services. If she needs attention for a pre-existing condition that is not an emergency, she will not get insurance for that. Otherwise, consider travel insurance with medical cover
I am trying to cover for any eventuality resulting in admission to hospital as an in-patient, which I understand is not free of charge.
I was under the impression that an insurance from a UK firm has more chance of being honoured by UK hospitals rather than an insurance firm in India. To make things bit more complicated, she is planning to fly from US after her current visit at my brother and sister in law's. WOuld it then require taking an insurance from a US company?

Apologies if my questions sound/are daft..

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 pm

I don't think this is possible. She needs to insure herself for international risk in her own country before she leaves.

satmvv

Post by satmvv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Lucapooka wrote:I don't think this is possible. She needs to insure herself for international risk in her own country before she leaves.
Well, surpisingly my brother-in-law managed to secure her an insurance form a US company for the full length of her visit in the US, and it was specifically health insurance and not a travel insurance. Which is what led me to believe that similar arrangement could be made in the UK.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't doubt that, but there must have been so many exclusions in the policy that it may not have been worth anything. Frankly, for a visitor in a foreign country, once the patient is stabilized and has mobility, they are then expected to leave and continue their treatment in their homeland. Insurance that covers further palliative care for a patient who can otherwise leave and return home, would be very expensive and hard to get.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I would just call one of the well known Insurers e.g. AXA or Aviva and enquire options.

satmvv

Post by satmvv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Lucapooka wrote:I don't doubt that, but there must have been so many exclusions in the policy that it may not have been worth anything. Frankly, for a visitor in a foreign country, once the patient is stabilized and has mobility, they are then expected to leave and continue their treatment in their homeland. Insurance that covers further palliative care for a patient who can otherwise leave and return home, would be very expensive and hard to get.
I think I am in bit of a pickle here. She's already flown out of India, so I doubt if Indian insurance companies will be willing to offer travel insurance policy, even if they I may still have to pay upfront any costs and or even take the risk of some local hospital not honoring it.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 pm

As stated, call and make enquiries, but I don't think she will get any more from an insurance than what the NHS offers for free to emergency admissions. That being treatment of the emergency to point of stabilization.

satmvv

Post by satmvv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes, will try phoning up. For what it's worth just tried an online quote from BUPA international health insurance....

Response = a staggering £980 for 5 months.

Hope it's just a lame computer.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Should have done it from India before she left cheap easy and good cover. ICICI was my choice every time I went to the UK. Doubt you will get it now she has left, at least you know for next time.
pennyless

michali
Member of Standing

Post by michali » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 am

Actually BUPA's quote is not too bad. I pay nearly £800 per month as an expat to BUPA!

satmvv

Post by satmvv » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Phoned up BUPA international and AXA, both willing to provide cover but I am still reeling from the quotes. The cheapest offer received is for BUPA flex, £124 per month with an excess of £1000. Yet to look at the list of exclusions which may well have causes for concern.