ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to India and back on ILR after Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fisher

Travel to India and back on ILR after Citizenship

Post by fisher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi

I recently became a British citizen and have applied for British Passport. I need to travel for an urgent family issue to India (my old citizenship).
I understand Indian government allows travel on the Indian passport for 3 months. My question
1. When I use Indian Passport to travel to India – what should I write as citizenship (Indian or British)?
2. Can I use the ILR stamp to come back to UK? Is the ILR still valid?

I have my naturalisation letter if that helps.

-F

fisher

Re: Travel to India and back on ILR after Citizenship

Post by fisher » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:04 pm

fisher wrote:Hi

I recently became a British citizen and have applied for British Passport. I need to travel for an urgent family issue to India (my old citizenship).
I understand Indian government allows travel on the Indian passport for 3 months. My question
1. When I use Indian Passport to travel to India – what should I write as citizenship (Indian or British)?
2. Can I use the ILR stamp to come back to UK? Is the ILR still valid?

I have my naturalisation letter if that helps.

-F
Any help please?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 pm

fisher wrote:Any help please?
Check the other countries section, this question has been regularly asked and answered there, for example here, here and here. Basically, from the day of your naturalisation your citizenship is British (according to Indian law). The Indian law grants you a 3 months grace period when you can continue to use your old Indian passport. While the ILR in your British passport is no longer valid - because your citizenship supercedes the ILR - the passport (with ILR in it) will remain valid for these 3 months, so you can continue using it. If you want to be absolutely safe, you can additionally take your naturalisation certificate along, but I doubt that you will need it. Since getting a British passport will take around 2 months, this period of grace will not leave you without a passport.

In summary: you are a British now. Welcome, by the way! ;) As such you automatically have the right of abode in the UK, and indefinite leave to remain no longer applies to you. In about two months, you can have a British passport. You may continue to use your Indian passport as you did before for three months.

fisher

Post by fisher » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
fisher wrote:Any help please?
Check the other countries section, this question has been regularly asked and answered there, for example here, here and here. Basically, from the day of your naturalisation your citizenship is British (according to Indian law). The Indian law grants you a 3 months grace period when you can continue to use your old Indian passport. While the ILR in your British passport is no longer valid - because your citizenship supercedes the ILR - the passport (with ILR in it) will remain valid for these 3 months, so you can continue using it. If you want to be absolutely safe, you can additionally take your naturalisation certificate along, but I doubt that you will need it. Since getting a British passport will take around 2 months, this period of grace will not leave you without a passport.

In summary: you are a British now. Welcome, by the way! ;) As such you automatically have the right of abode in the UK, and indefinite leave to remain no longer applies to you. In about two months, you can have a British passport. You may continue to use your Indian passport as you did before for three months.
Thank you very much. What a relief that I can travel. I spent 4 hours calling UKBA, passport office however no one could answer me.
Last edited by fisher on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:22 pm

fisher wrote:Thanks you very much. What a relief that I can travel. I spent 4 hours calling UKBA, passport office however no one could answer me.
No worries. Yes, contacting HO is usually an uphill struggle.
Safe journey! :)