ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR query...

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

avgjoe
Newly Registered

PR query...

Post by avgjoe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

Hi all

Thanks to everyone for a very informative site. I want to apply for PR but not sure if I am eligible:

I spent Nov 2004 - Sep 2007 on a work permit. I went back home for family reasons for 18 months. I returned to the UK in Jul 2009 under an EEA family permit (gf and I got married) and have been here since.

My question was.. does my time on a work permit count towards PR, or do I have to spend 5 years first on an EEA family permit before I can even think of applying for PR?

I'm a South African citizen, and it would be useful for me to know when I'd be eligible to become a citizen here. I've had many different opinions, and don't know who to believe!

bobobo

Re: PR query...

Post by bobobo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am

Time on WP doesnt count. Your clock starts from the day you got married, even if the Residence card was issued at a later date.
avgjoe wrote:Hi all

Thanks to everyone for a very informative site. I want to apply for PR but not sure if I am eligible:

I spent Nov 2004 - Sep 2007 on a work permit. I went back home for family reasons for 18 months. I returned to the UK in Jul 2009 under an EEA family permit (gf and I got married) and have been here since.

My question was.. does my time on a work permit count towards PR, or do I have to spend 5 years first on an EEA family permit before I can even think of applying for PR?

I'm a South African citizen, and it would be useful for me to know when I'd be eligible to become a citizen here. I've had many different opinions, and don't know who to believe!

avgjoe
Newly Registered

Post by avgjoe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for that... so if I ever want to apply for a passport in the UK, it would be:
- 5 years from marriage date to get PR
- 1 year + necessary tests to get a passport

Is that right?

bobobo wrote:Time on WP doesnt count. Your clock starts from the day you got married, even if the Residence card was issued at a later date.
avgjoe wrote:Hi all

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

avgjoe wrote:Thanks for that... so if I ever want to apply for a passport in the UK, it would be:
- 5 years from marriage date to get PR
- 1 year + necessary tests to get a passport

Is that right?
Almost. It would be "- 1 year + necessary tests to apply for a British citizenship". If granted, you can apply for a British passport.

All assuming the EEA national has been exercising treaty rights during the 5 years.