ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Waiting time for Stamp 4 for Non EU Spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lily80
Newly Registered

Waiting time for Stamp 4 for Non EU Spouse

Post by Lily80 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am

I am an Irish citizen, working in Ireland and my Brazilian spouse will join me in Ireland this year. My question is how long it takes to be issued a GNIB card? He wishes to start looking for a job asap. Thanks for you help.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:16 am

You can ask your local immigration officer to grant him permission to remain when he arrives (if he has a short term stamp from the airport immigration officer, and therefore is legally in the State). If they will not do this, then you must make an application in writing to the Spouse of an Irish National Section, INIS. These applications take 9 - 12 months at present, and the applicant will not be permitted to work during this time.

Lily80
Newly Registered

Post by Lily80 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you for your response. When you refer to the local immigration officer do you mean the Garda National Immigration Bureau for people living in Dublin? Do you know if many cases are referred on to INIS? We were married in the US would this increase our chances of being referred to INIS? Thanks

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes the GNIB. I think there's a fair chance they will ask you to apply to INIS, yes, but I don't have any statistics on it.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:15 pm

If your spouse arrives on a "Join Spouse" visa then all you have to do is go down to the GNIB with your spouse, bring both passports, proof of joint residence and your marriage certificate (translated if not in English) and the officer will give your spouse a stamp 4 on the spot.

Source: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't think Brazilians are visa required: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0146.html