ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Check and Send

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ravikd

Passport Check and Send

Post by ravikd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:02 pm

What are the documents required for a first time 'check and send' service. Is it mandatory to send original passport with the application.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: Passport Check and Send

Post by vinitmanu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:08 pm

ravikd wrote:What are the documents required for a first time 'check and send' service. Is it mandatory to send original passport with the application.
Assuming that you are a Naturalised citizen, you need to send your Naturalisation certificate and all your uncancelled 'original passport'.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 pm

ravikd wrote:What are the documents required for a first time 'check and send' service. Is it mandatory to send original passport with the application.
What you need:
* Passport appropriate photos (2 identical)
* Any current passports from other countries
*Any expired passports from other countries which haven't been replaced by a current one, however, you must include the passport you used to enter the country even if it is not your current one.
* Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out)
*Marriage certificate (if application is for 3yrs married to BC)
*One professional referee (UK passport holder, professional or of standing in the community - can be retired, known to you for at least 2 years)
*Money for the fee
*A Black ball point pen
I called the help line and the guy that spoke to me told me this, hope this helps.

Make sure that your referee write the required blurb ** on the back of one of the photos and used your FuLL name including Title.

I certify that this is a true likeness of (Miss, Mr, Mrs or other titles and your full name) (signature of referee) (date).

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm

I was under impression that original passport was not required like NCS process where they send copies of a passport.

Also regarding naturalization certificate, I have received just a letter from UKBA confirming my citizenship approval so I guess this certificate will be given by the council at the end of the ceremony.
GoanG wrote:
What you need:
*Any expired passports from other countries which haven't been replaced by a current one, however, you must include the passport you used to enter the country even if it is not your current one.
* Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out)
*One professional referee (UK passport holder, professional or of standing in the community - can be retired, known to you for at least 2 years)
*Money for the fee
*A Black ball point pen
I called the help line and the guy that spoke to me told me this, hope this helps.

Make sure that your referee write the required blurb ** on the back of one of the photos and used your FuLL name including Title.

I certify that this is a true likeness of (Miss, Mr, Mrs or other titles and your full name) (signature of referee) (date).

Tra2003

Post by Tra2003 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm

GoanG wrote:
What you need:
*Money for the fee
*A Black ball point pen

*Marriage certificate (if application is for 3yrs married to BC)??
For real, is this required. I haven't heard of this as one of the requirement :o

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Tra2003 wrote:*Marriage certificate (if application is for 3yrs married to BC)??
For real, is this required. I haven't heard of this as one of the requirement :o
It's news to me too. :( My wife's passport application is ready to go and we are not planning to send the marriage certificate again!

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:31 am

barnaby wrote:
Tra2003 wrote:*Marriage certificate (if application is for 3yrs married to BC)??
It's news to me too. :( My wife's passport application is ready to go and we are not planning to send the marriage certificate again!
Well, when I spoke to the IPS help line, that is what he told me I had to send, as my application for BC was based on marriage to BC. :roll:

Tra2003

Post by Tra2003 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 am

GoanG wrote:
barnaby wrote:
Well, when I spoke to the IPS help line, that is what he told me I had to send, as my application for BC was based on marriage to BC. :roll:

I know marriage certificate is only required if one is applying for a first child passport if the father's name is not on the birth certificate before the parents of the child gets married. This is required as the child would only claim the mothers nationality if both parents are not married. But if they are, the child has the right to british passport if the father is british. Thus that's when the marriage certificate comes into play... I guess one gets different answers when one speaks to IPS.
My naturalization was gained through marriage to a BC but i did not submit any marriage certificate though.

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:58 am

Tra2003 wrote:
GoanG wrote:
barnaby wrote:

I know marriage certificate is only required if one is applying for a first child passport if the father's name is not on the birth certificate before the parents of the child gets married. This is required as the child would only claim the mothers nationality if both parents are not married. But if they are, the child has the right to british passport if the father is british. Thus that's when the marriage certificate comes into play... I guess one gets different answers when one speaks to IPS.
My naturalization was gained through marriage to a BC but i did not submit any marriage certificate though.
Yeah, one hears different things all the time, looking at their website it does not mention that anywhere, hence I had phoned them and that was what I was told, I am in the process of applying for my passport soon.
Take care,

Mel2012
Newly Registered

Post by Mel2012 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am

Hello GoanG please let me know how you get on with your british passport application. I am also married to british and granted citizenship. I will have my ceremony soon.

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Mel2012 wrote:Hello GoanG please let me know how you get on with your british passport application. I am also married to british and granted citizenship. I will have my ceremony soon.
Yes, Mel2012 will keep you posted - I am sending it by check and send, just got all the paperwork ready, as soon as I have my ceremony will make the passport application. Hope all goes well for you and myself.

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Can anybody shed some lights on the point:-"Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out".

I have been given natualisation certificate at the end of ceremony, will it work?
GoanG wrote:
What you need:
*Money for the fee
*A Black ball point pen

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 pm

ravikd wrote:Can anybody shed some lights on the point:-"Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out".

I have been given natualisation certificate at the end of ceremony, will it work?
I think a lot of people would struggle to get to the bottom of your query. At least, I did.

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:21 pm

To be clear, what's the difference between the 'official' naturalisation certificate and the 'ceremonial' one?
vinitmanu wrote:
ravikd wrote:Can anybody shed some lights on the point:-"Naturalisation certificate (the official one and not the ceremonial one that some councils give out".

I think a lot of people would struggle to get to the bottom of your query. At least, I did.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

ravikd wrote:To be clear, what's the difference between the 'official' naturalisation certificate and the 'ceremonial' one?
Nothing. I have never heard of the two different terms you are asking. So, as I understand you received your 'Naturalisation' certificate at the end of your ceremony. Are you expecting to receive something else?

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:21 pm

ravikd wrote:To be clear, what's the difference between the 'official' naturalisation certificate and the 'ceremonial' one?
vinitmanu wrote:

Ravikd,
The certificate that you received will have a hallmark of the crown with the lion and the unicorn, and is issued by home office London, it has in red certificate of naturalisation. That is the official one. Some councils give their own one too, it will have a certificate no, and the ref no. Given in your approval letter from the home office. Hope this helps!

And yes, you have to send your countries original passport, I took copies of all documents I sent to the IPS, just in case.

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks GoanG. That's exactly I wanted to know.
GoanG wrote:
vinitmanu wrote:

Ravikd,
The certificate that you received will have a hallmark of the crown with the lion and the unicorn, and is issued by home office London, it has in red certificate of naturalisation. That is the official one. Some councils give their own one too, it will have a certificate no, and the ref no. Given in your approval letter from the home office. Hope this helps!

And yes, you have to send your countries original passport, I took copies of all documents I sent to the IPS, just in case.

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Mel2012 wrote:Hello GoanG please let me know how you get on with your british passport application. I am also married to british and granted citizenship. I will have my ceremony soon.
How was your ceremony, and have you put your passport application in?

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 am

It was a private one as I was getting next public ceremony around March 1st week. It wasn't as great as I assumed it to be :( . I am gonna send my passport application tomorrow.
GoanG wrote:

GoanG
Newly Registered

Post by GoanG » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 am

ravikd wrote:It was a private one as I was getting next public ceremony around March 1st week. It wasn't as great as I assumed it to be :( . I am gonna send my passport application tomorrow.
GoanG wrote:
Yes, I thought so too! I had mine privately too, and sent off my passport application, as I need to travel to Malaysia soon. For the money they charge I thought it was very quick and rushed, it was over in 10mins!! well, await the passport now. Good Luck to you on your passport too!