ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in India - Form-MN1 eligibility

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sohail_mr
Newly Registered

Child born in India - Form-MN1 eligibility

Post by sohail_mr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi All

I have a few questions about application for Registration of a child as British Citizen (form MN1).

I have two childern, older one was born in India and the younger one in UK. Both the kids were born before I got my ILR(14-jan-2013). Below are some of their details and my questions.

First child

D.O.B: June-2011
place of birth: INDIA
Birth Certificate issued in India
nationality / Passport: INDIAN / Indian passport
Current UK Visa: ILR issued (14-jan-2013)

Second child

D.O.B: Dec-2012
place of birth: London, UK.
Birth Certificate issued in UK
nationality / Passport: No passport
Current UK Visa: none

Question:
I understand that my younger child is eligible to be registered as a British citizen as he was born in UK and both the parents now have the ILR. My concern is about the older one who was born in India and holds an Indian passport (has an ILR too). Can you please advise if the older is eligible for registering as British citizenship ? Can we apply using form-MN1 for both the kids?

Many Thanks
Sohail

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 pm

vhathiramani
Newly Registered

Post by vhathiramani » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi,
It may be worthwhile and wait a year , apply for both children as applying for just one now would cost you much more. I wonder if there is any advantage except if you are worried that rules may change
vimal

Laxman

Post by Laxman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:00 am

Younger child is eligible for British citizenship since you have an ILR.

Older child is ineligible. For him to be eligible, one of the parents must apply for British Citizenship. You can make a family application.

ILR.2012
Newly Registered

Post by ILR.2012 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 pm

It would be worthwhile to wait for another year and apply both as ajoint MN1 application and save money.

Younger one is entitled to register as a British National but older one needs to wait.

lovekirankumar
Newly Registered

Post by lovekirankumar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Laxman wrote:Younger child is eligible for British citizenship since you have an ILR.

Older child is ineligible. For him to be eligible, one of the parents must apply for British Citizenship. You can make a family application.
Hi Laxman,

Could you help me with my situation,

My baby born in UK last year (2012) March. She applied for Indian passport for urgent travel to India, where she is staying with grand parents at present. My status was on Tier 1 General Migrant visa when baby born. Last week I and my wife got Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in UK. So we are planning to bring my child back to UK. As my child born in UK, whether she is eligible to apply for nationality now. If so whether i can process application for her in UK or should i apply from India.

If i am processing her application, do i need to send her passport along application.

If i send her passport, do you they check whether the baby is in India or UK while processing application?

Thanks in advance
Kiran

Laxman

Post by Laxman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi kiran,

Your daughter is eligible to be registered as British Citizen.

I suggest you to apply from here provided your daughter has a valid visa.

As part of the document requirements, you will need your daughter's passport and birth certificate.