ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I register a company while on a Tier 2 visa?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MrBrilliant
BANNED

Can I register a company while on a Tier 2 visa?

Post by MrBrilliant » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I understand, I am not allowed to work in a self-employed manner while on a Tier 2.

However, can I register a limited company, if the company will not have profits?

(I want to get a loan on my registered company, and purchase some assets that will be profitable later, when I get my ILR in 6 months. In the meantime, there will be a small amount of revenue, but that would go toward repaying the loan -- so no profits.)

Qwerty-UK

Post by Qwerty-UK » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow..we're on the same boat. I opened a limited company few months ago but then reading on the forums got me a little worried (I have 7 months to go for ILR). So I wrote a postal letter to UKBA so that they would reply in writing. They went on about the obvious rules regarding supplementary employment (even though I emphasised that I would not be an employee and I would not receive dividends). They finished their reply with:
Tier 2 (General) visa holders cannot work as self employed.
In short, it seems like a big no from them. UKBA doesn't seem to care about HMRC's definition of self employed. They would probably consider directorship as self employed. I might have to close my company now.

MrBrilliant
BANNED

Post by MrBrilliant » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Ha, great minds think alike!

Yeah that's the problem, what exactly is the definition of "self-employed"? Usually when I ask, I get the same lecture about "no self employment, you can only work up to 20 extra hours a week in the same area as you main occupation, etc."

In my opinion, registering a company is like registering a domain name: you just fill out a form and occupy the name. But I guess the UKBA may see it differently.

I had a lawyer tell me a horror story about a woman who applied for ILR after 10 years and was rejected because her bank statements showed that she once took a £100 cheque for some work she'd done.. so I'm very cautious of money entering my account.

That being said, would they know about your business accounts and registered companies?

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 am

MrBrilliant wrote:Ha, great minds think alike!

Yeah that's the problem, what exactly is the definition of "self-employed"? Usually when I ask, I get the same lecture about "no self employment, you can only work up to 20 extra hours a week in the same area as you main occupation, etc."

In my opinion, registering a company is like registering a domain name: you just fill out a form and occupy the name. But I guess the UKBA may see it differently.

I had a lawyer tell me a horror story about a woman who applied for ILR after 10 years and was rejected because her bank statements showed that she once took a £100 cheque for some work she'd done.. so I'm very cautious of money entering my account.

That being said, would they know about your business accounts and registered companies?
Opening a company will be classified as self employment. UKBA will find out and it's not worth risking your ILR just for few hundred quid.