ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COA with no working rights ?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

makepop1

COA with no working rights ?

Post by makepop1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi,
My friend applied for EEA(not sure which eea) extended family member as brother and he did receive COA but with no working rights until they decide his application.

But he was student before (Student visa and not tier 4), he applied before his visa finished, so can he work part time until he gets RC ?

He applied through solicitor. Has anyone faced similar situation like this and if please tell me how to sort out this issue.

I went through all of this forum and didn't get any info, his solicitor says she find this letter unique and says she can do nothing about it.

Please help as he gets problem at his work place

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: COA with no working rights ?

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm

makepop1 wrote:Hi,
My friend applied for EEA(not sure which eea) extended family member as brother and he did receive COA but with no working rights until they decide his application.
This is following the rules. Extended family members need to wait until the HO decide on their application.
but he was student before (Student visa and not tier 4), he applied before his visa finished, so can he work part time until he gets RC ?
As long as his current visa is valid, the visa rules are still valid. There is no automatic extension of those rights when applying under the EEA regulations.

ravii

Post by ravii » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm

If in COA,it is mentioned to work part time then your friend is allow,but if COA sayin no right to work,then it means no right to work at all.....this is not a unique COA as this is normal format.
Best regards

makepop1

Post by makepop1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm

thanks for the info, i will let him know, let me see what he can do with it

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:16 am

You could write to the HO, and argue that he should be granted a COA with the right to work, as his position should not be worse of because he made an application under the EEA regulation. Inform them that, if he had made an application under any other category, he would have been able to work.
An EXtended family member of an EEA national should benefits from rights similar to those of Section 3C, even if not directly from the Directive or EEA Regulations.

Try that and see how it goes.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

joanna2012
Newly Registered

Post by joanna2012 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 am

We are in a similar situation. My partner applied for EEA2 before his previous visa expired and his COA stated that HO could not determine his right to work at this stage.

I still believe that Section 3C applies as EU citizen cannot be given less rights than those applying under immigration act.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:47 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:47 pm

I had the same on my COA, as I applied as an unmarried partner. However, I hold a valid Employer Sponsored Work Permit, so I was obviously able to continue working, within the limitations of my Work Permit. The COA document can only refer to the applicant's situation under the EEA category they've applied.
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

makepop1

Post by makepop1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Obie wrote:You could write to the HO, and argue that he should be granted a COA with the right to work, as his position should not be worse of because he made an application under the EEA regulation. Inform them that, if he had made an application under any other category, he would have been able to work.
An EXtended family member of an EEA national should benefits from rights similar to those of Section 3C, even if not directly from the Directive or EEA Regulations.

Try that and see how it goes.
Thanks, i will let him know about it, i didn't see him for a week, dont know whether he contacted his solicitor again or not ?

He questions that whether he can write to HO without solicitor help ?

makepop1

Post by makepop1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:49 pm