ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for a Schengen Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

logical_1

Applying for a Schengen Visa

Post by logical_1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Hello Everyone,
I've been reading the forums on this website for a long time now and they have been really helpful.
I will be applying for a Schengen Visa at French Embassy,Beijing.
I'm married to an EU national.I have called the embassy to double check the documents they require.And following are the documents they asked for:
1.EU national's passport photocopy
2.Marriage certificate (Copy or Original)
3.Letter from EU national stating relationship with the applicant,purpose and duration of stay.
4.Address where we will be staying in France(This could be a hotel booking or a letter from a friend in France stating the address)

So i will be submitting these documents for the visa and will keep you guys posted on how everything goes.
Fingers crossed.
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Good luck with your application, although the address where you will be staying in France should not be one of the requirement as it clearly states that on the visa application, that it must be omitted.

The requested documents seems limited so it is better to ignore it for a smooth processing.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks Frrei, yes i know that this address requirement is irrelevant but i'm in two states of mind.Dont want to get the application refused for not providing the proof of address as they specifically asked for it whereas on the other hand its not required.
So don't know what to do tbh.I will take proof of hotel reservation with me to the embassy and will try submitting the application without it first and just in case they ask for it then i will probably have to submit it.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am

Just applied for visa today, the lady who took my application was quite friendly and helping, i didnt have my original marriage certificate so she accepted the copy. Gave me a reciept and said that the passport should be ready to pick up in about 2-3 weeks time. So let's see what happens.

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:22 pm

You mean certified copy? I hope it goes well for you, did you provide the hotel reservation in the end

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 am

I meant a photocopy of my marriage certificate, as i didnt have the original certificate.
Yes i did give them the hotel reservation, I left the address information on the visa application form empty as it is needed to be filled in by the spouses of eu citizens but the lady who after checking the form , told me to fill in that bit aswell. I didnt want to but i didnt want to create fuss either so i filled it in with the hotel adress.
Lets see how it goes.

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:52 am

I have a feeling you will be successful. Whenever it appears someone meet the requirements they tend to approve it. As there were no disagreement as to what document is necessary or not, it signifies that they will also approve it without problem.

That's my experience about the Schengen countries on issues concerning freedom of movement visas

highly skilled
Newly Registered

Schengen visa duration for spouses

Post by highly skilled » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi are you expecting to get a longer term visa, such as a 2 year for instance? Does anyone have experience of how long schgen visas for EU spouses are given our for? I heard about a 2 year visa being issued, but not sure. Are there any embassies which are more likely to give a longer term Schengen than others?

frei
BANNED

Re: Schengen visa duration for spouses

Post by frei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 pm

highly skilled wrote:Hi are you expecting to get a longer term visa, such as a 2 year for instance? Does anyone have experience of how long schgen visas for EU spouses are given our for? I heard about a 2 year visa being issued, but not sure. Are there any embassies which are more likely to give a longer term Schengen than others?
Schengen visas for EU-spouses can only be valid for the maximum of 3 months, in op's case he is applying at the French, the French give a standard 3 month multiple for all applicants unless they have requested for longer period.

It is not possible for spouses of EU citizens to be issued a Schengen visa for 2 years, there is no basis for it in law, when the EU citizen satisfy the conditions in article 6 of Directive2004/38/EC there spouse can be issued a residence card for 5 years.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am

Got a call from embassy today to pick up the passport,took 4 days to make a decission which was quick i guess, but unfortunatly i cuouldn't make it today so i will be picking it up on monday n will keep you guys posted of the decission.

the hurricane

Post by the hurricane » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

logical_1 wrote:Got a call from embassy today to pick up the passport,took 4 days to make a decission which was quick i guess, but unfortunatly i cuouldn't make it today so i will be picking it up on monday n will keep you guys posted of the decission.
And how did it go?

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:42 am

Sorry for late reply.
The visa was refused and following are the wordings of the refusal.

Vous n'avez pas apporte d'elements permettant de conclure a l'existence d'un lien familial avec le citoyen de l'UE/EEE ou suisse dont vous declarez etre membre de famille.

I suspect they refused it because they probably suspect its a marriage of convenience.However thats not the case.
We have been married for almost 13 months and have been in a relationship for about 3 years.
I think i should re-apply and this time add our photos,e-mails etc.
Any suggestions?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm

From what I read into the refusal, they've based it on failure to provide evidence of the family link. I note you'd provided a copy of marriage cert. Was it in a language that the consulate could understand?

You could email them querying the reason for the refusal perhaps.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:55 pm

I did provide them with a photocopy of my marriage certificate,it was a little blurry but one could clearly read mine and my wife's names and details,
It wasn't the original certificate.It's a translation of my urdu marriage certificate.
I didnt add the urdu one in my application because of the language.

Also i called the embassy today pointin out that i did add my marriage certificate and my application was refused,but unfortunately the person who dealt with my application wasn't there and i have to call them back on monday.

I'm not sure if its because of the certificate or do they think its a marriage of convenience.The refusal letters in french so i could'nt understand what the reason was for refusal.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 pm

The photocopy of the certificate was in Engish.

the hurricane

Post by the hurricane » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:17 pm

logical_1 wrote:The photocopy of the certificate was in Engish.
I am sorry to hear that your visa application was refused. Well I don’t think they will change their mind by calling them ( of course you can try), but if I was you I would rather appeal against the decision or request them to review their decision because their decision doesn’t make sense, they are basically saying that “you didn’t provide any evidence that proves your relationship with an EU citizen” (unless that guy doesn’t understand English). I personally think appeal will be more effective. Good luck !!!

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Appeal would be great but that would require time,and i donot have enough time for the appeal. I'm thinking to re-apply or ask them to review their decission.
Or shall i apply with German embassy as i have heard that they are abit more relaxed.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 pm

logical_1 wrote: Or shall i apply with German embassy as i have heard that they are abit more relaxed.
Note that if you apply to the German embassy, they will see the French rejection. This may or not cause you problems.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:38 pm

logical_1 wrote:I did provide them with a photocopy of my marriage certificate,it was a little blurry but one could clearly read mine and my wife's names and details,
It wasn't the original certificate.It's a translation of my urdu marriage certificate.

I'm not sure if its because of the certificate...
Personally, I suspect that it was the marriage certificate that's caused you problems. I suggest you pursue your calls to understand exactly the reason.

You are applying in China with I imagine a Pakistani marriage certificate. You may have some work to do verifying its authenticity. Some countries demand that marriage certificates are translated, notorised or legalised.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm

logical_1 wrote: Vous n'avez pas apporte d'elements permettant de conclure a l'existence d'un lien familial avec le citoyen de l'UE/EEE ou suisse dont vous declarez etre membre de famille.
This is essentially what it means (it's not a literal translation).

You have not provided sufficient evidence demonstrating that you are the family member of the EU or Swizz citizen you claim to be.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:26 am

Yes I think the same that it was something to do with the marriage certificate.I'm trying to find a Certified Translator here in Beijing,hopefully will get the certificate translated and re-apply.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:39 pm

logical_1 wrote:Yes I think the same that it was something to do with the marriage certificate.I'm trying to find a Certified Translator here in Beijing,hopefully will get the certificate translated and re-apply.
For your own sake, find out exactly what the embassy require in terms of marriage certificate / translations / legalisations, etc.

swordfish
Bangladesh

Post by swordfish » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:42 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
logical_1 wrote:I did provide them with a photocopy of my marriage certificate,it was a little blurry but one could clearly read mine and my wife's names and details,

I'm not sure if its because of the certificate...
Personally, I suspect that it was the marriage certificate that's caused you problems. I suggest you pursue your calls to understand exactly the reason.

You are applying in China with I imagine a Pakistani marriage certificate. You may have some work to do verifying its authenticity. Some countries demand that marriage certificates are translated, notorised or legalised.
hi. i dont know its important for u or not, i contact sweden embassy bangladesh for schengen visa, they asked my marriage certificate original with legalized from foreign ministry, law ministry and notorised in bangladesh. i guess this u may also need to do.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:18 am

swordfish wrote:
hi. i dont know its important for u or not, i contact sweden embassy bangladesh for schengen visa, they asked my marriage certificate original with legalized from foreign ministry, law ministry and notorised in bangladesh. i guess this u may also need to do.
Different countries have different rules in this area, so it important to check exact procedure on a case by case basis. It will depend on where marriage took place, etc, etc.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

Just spoke to the embassy today.
Marriage certificate was the reason for refusal.Now they are asking for the marriage certificate to be legalised by British High Commision in Beijing.I'm not sure if that's possible as the certificate is from Pakistan not from U.K.
I tried to explain it to the lady on the phone from French embassy but she was like if you cannot do it u will be refused visa if you apply again.Then she was like why dont you go to U.K instead.I answered back saying my wife has a job offer in France and i want to join her.After hearing this she said now you will need your wife's carte de sejour aswell.I explained and said EU citizens don't get carte de sejours anymore in france.Then i pointed out the Directive and the minimum requirements for family members of EU citizens and she said she knows her job.After this she cut me off.It was too rude.I have complained Solvit already but that will take light years to solve this.

I dont't know what to do anymore, i was thinking to apply with the German embassy but because the French refused it before,it might create some problem.
Any suggestions?