ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian visa while OCI in process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

destiniation_london

Indian visa while OCI in process

Post by destiniation_london » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Just wanted a clarity, so once i get british passport - i apply for surrender of indian passport, get surrender certificate and then apply for OCI card.

So, my question is if I need to travel to India whilst my OCI application is in proress - is it possible????

vij_sp_1980

Post by vij_sp_1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 am

yes it is possible and you can apply for visitor visa.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Do you not need to handover you British passport as well for OCI processing? I believe they put the LIfeLong Visa vignette on the British passport as part of OCI processing.

If yes, then you would not be having any passport with you on which you can travel or apply for India visa, while OCI application is in process?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm

No, while your OCI application is in progress, you're only required to send the copy of your British passport. And once it's been approved and is with your consulate (progress which you can check online), then you need to send your passport for sticker either in post or in person.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you know that for normally how much time the HCI keep the British passport with them for applying the visa sticker.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 pm

if you are applying in person then, submit the passport in the morning and collect the passport with OCI sticker plus booklet in the afternoon.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Are we sure, we are eligible to apply for Tourist visa to India whilst our OCI application is in progress, any links confirming this would be super helpful.

I've read somewhere, it's not possible and you'd need to either cancel your OCI application or wait for it to finish -surely doesn't sound right though

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm

destiniation_london wrote:Are we sure, we are eligible to apply for Tourist visa to India whilst our OCI application is in progress, any links confirming this would be super helpful.
OCI and Travel visa are two different things and there is no connection between them. So there is no question of whether you are in the middle of OCI or not, once you do not have Indian passport unless you have OCI you can apply for travel visa anytime and any number of time.

destiniation_london wrote: I've read somewhere, it's not possible and you'd need to either cancel your OCI application or wait for it to finish -surely doesn't sound right though
Now you better send the links where you have seen this as it is not true per what best i know!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

Sidwho2000
Newly Registered

Indian visa while oci application in process

Post by Sidwho2000 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm

manyaonisland wrote:
destiniation_london wrote:Are we sure, we are eligible to apply for Tourist visa to India whilst our OCI application is in progress, any links confirming this would be super helpful.
OCI and Travel visa are two different things and there is no connection between them. So there is no question of whether you are in the middle of OCI or not, once you do not have Indian passport unless you have OCI you can apply for travel visa anytime and any number of time.

destiniation_london wrote: I've read somewhere, it's not possible and you'd need to either cancel your OCI application or wait for it to finish -surely doesn't sound right though

Now you better send the links where you have seen this as it is not true per what best i know!

Just to add on above conversation yes you can apply indian tourist visa while your oci application in process.

I successfully got tourist visa while oci application is in process.

vidsrao

Re: Indian visa while OCI in process

Post by vidsrao » Mon May 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Guys,

We are in middle of OCI process but need to apply for tourist visa. Dont have copy of surrender certificate and Indian passport . How do we proceed?

Vidhya