ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU family member - Retaining rights after divorce

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

becky30
Newly Registered

Non EU family member - Retaining rights after divorce

Post by becky30 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding retaining rights after divorce in the UK.

I have included some details of my case below.

I got married with my EU national husband in the UK.
Marriage lasted more than 3 years.
We officially divorced last week.

I am about to make an application for retaining my rights.

The documents I will provide is as below:

My ex's payslips, p60, bank statements, employer letter. (He worked at the same place whole time (for 4.5 years) so he has exercised treaty rights).

I work as a self employed person. I will provide bank statements (personal account), invoices, remittance advice.

Bills on my ex's name (gas, electricity, water, council tax etc) and my name (BT and TV licence) covering around 2 years.

Do you think these are enough? As I am self employed do i need to have an accountant or business bank account?

Also should I make an application with a lawyer? Your advice would be much appreciated...

ravii

Post by ravii » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 am

There are lots of self employed persons who do not need business bank accounts,so I don't know what sort of work you do as a self employed person?if your work related to other companies and you accept card payments then you need a business bank account other wise you don't need a business bank account..accountants letter is a good supporting pice of paper.
Best regards

becky30
Newly Registered

Post by becky30 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Thank you very much for your response. I work as a interpreter. I receive payments from several agencies.

becky30
Newly Registered

Post by becky30 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Does it mean that I need a business account?

becky30
Newly Registered

Post by becky30 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:29 pm

I have just checked a website providing some details: There is no legal requirement to have a business bank account if you are a sole trader or partnership. It is only necessary for a limited company.

I hope it is correct :)

I would also appreciate it if I receive any response regarding application for retaining my rights of residence.

Thank you very much in advance.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm

You dont need to have a business account per sa, to be considered a Self-Employed person, but you will need to show that your business is effective and genuine.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

becky30
Newly Registered

Post by becky30 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Obie wrote:You dont need to have a business account per sa, to be considered a Self-Employed person, but you will need to show that your business is effective and genuine.
Thanks a lot.

paradisecircus1
Newly Registered

Post by paradisecircus1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I have a situation here likewise

I have payslips, p60, bank statements and proof of my spouse work scheme.
I am a self employed person. I will have bank statements and a business account.

What kind more documents they would require? Someone could enlighten me please? Im getting a divorce , what documents would I need to have to apply further?

Thanks, responses are much appreciated.

becky30
Newly Registered

Post by becky30 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:40 pm

paradisecircus1 wrote:I have a situation here likewise

I am a self employed person. I will have bank statements and a business account.

What kind more documents they would require? Someone could enlighten me please? Im getting a divorce , what documents would I need to have to apply further?

How long have you been married?

paradisecircus1
Newly Registered

Post by paradisecircus1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

becky30 wrote:
paradisecircus1 wrote:I have a situation here likewise

How long have you been married?

more than three years, nearly 4,

becky30
Newly Registered

Post by becky30 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Seeking legal advice and applying with a lawyer is absolutely neccessary? What do you think? Is there anyone who experienced similar situations? Could you please share your opinions with us?

Many Thanks

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:09 pm

becky30 wrote:I have just checked a website providing some details: There is no legal requirement to have a business bank account if you are a sole trader or partnership. It is only necessary for a limited company.

I hope it is correct :)
Not required. However, my bank is pressing me to open a business account which I do not want to do.