ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PLEASE HELP!!! 7 Year Long Residence Child Dependant

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chin1605

PLEASE HELP!!! 7 Year Long Residence Child Dependant

Post by chin1605 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:19 am

Hello,

Please I would greatly appreciate your opinions/advise on this - particularly Gurus and members of standing.

I am currently on Tier 2 G and my dependant son would have been here as my dependant for 7 years in October. He will be 10 years old by then. I am still some way off to qualifying for ILR myself.

I have read somewhere that there is a provision that a child who has been here for 7 years can apply for ILR.

My questions are:

1. In the light of all the changes that have happened in the recent past, is the 7 year Long residence provision still available?

2. If yes, will it be applicable to my son - being my dependant?

Many thanks.

chin1605

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! 7 Year Long Residence Child Dependant

Post by chin1605 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:06 am

Please help people.
chin1605 wrote:Hello,

Please I would greatly appreciate your opinions/advise on this - particularly Gurus and members of standing.

I am currently on Tier 2 G and my dependant son would have been here as my dependant for 7 years in October. He will be 10 years old by then. I am still some way off to qualifying for ILR myself.

I have read somewhere that there is a provision that a child who has been here for 7 years can apply for ILR.

My questions are:

1. In the light of all the changes that have happened in the recent past, is the 7 year Long residence provision still available?

Many thanks.

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am

HELP PLEASE
chin1605 wrote:Hello,

My questions are:

Many thanks.

lapppt

Post by lapppt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:47 am

Head something like this last year, but I am not sure if it has been implemented.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chin1605

Thanks

Post by chin1605 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Many thanks.

I'm reading through the page in the link sent. Will seek more clarification if anything is not clear.

Kind regards.

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I have read through the text in the link, as well as other links found in the document. I have also read the relevant areas of the Immigration Law. But I AM STILL CONFUSED!!!!

This is my scenario:

I came to the UK in February 2006 with student Visa. My wife and 3 year old son joined me later in the year. We have gone through a couple of visa extentions since then. I have just received documents back from switch to Tier 2(G) after close to 5 months of waiting!! Leave to Remain given until October 2015, so I will need 1 more extension before qualifying for ILR myself.

Wife and son are still my dependants, also with Leave to Remain valid until October 2015. However my son would have been here for 7 years by this October. My thoughts are to immediately apply for ILR for him if he qualifies having been here for 7 years.

The things that confuse me:
1. Is he allowed to switch into ILR, as he is my dependant and with leave to remain still valid until October 2015
2. Can I then apply for FLR if he is able to switch to ILR?
3. If he can apply, what specific requirements/documents/forms will he/myself need to look at?

All advise/opinion welcome and would be appreciated.

Please kindly help good people!!!

benneviss

Post by benneviss » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm

I have raised same question few weeks before . You can check my posts .

Let me prove it to you , how it will work

* under 7 years rule , if child had stayed here for more than 7 years HO can not deport parents , , and have to issue 30 months visa to parents until they reach to 10 years , in other words parents likely to settle in the UK

* Now read HO guidance on BC , particularly section 17 onwards , which says that if child is not born in the UK and child's parents are not settled in the UK or BC even then CW has to consider child''s application on the basis that parents are likely to settle in the UK .

In my view your child does not need to apply for ILR but MN1 (BC) straight away . When CW will consider your child MN1 application CW has to read the above paras together and have to approve your application.

If not then tribunal will accept the above arguments .

Please read my previous posts .

chin1605 wrote:
I have read through the text in the link, as well as other links found in the document. I have also read the relevant areas of the Immigration Law. But I AM STILL CONFUSED!!!!

This is my scenario:

I came to the UK in February 2006 with student Visa. My wife and 3 year old son joined me later in the year. We have gone through a couple of visa extentions since then. I have just received documents back from switch to Tier 2(G) after close to 5 months of waiting!! Leave to Remain given until October 2015, so I will need 1 more extension before qualifying for ILR myself.

Wife and son are still my dependants, also with Leave to Remain valid until October 2015. However my son would have been here for 7 years by this October. My thoughts are to immediately apply for ILR for him if he qualifies having been here for 7 years.

The things that confuse me:
1. Is he allowed to switch into ILR, as he is my dependant and with leave to remain still valid until October 2015
2. Can I then apply for FLR if he is able to switch to ILR?
3. If he can apply, what specific requirements/documents/forms will he/myself need to look at?

All advise/opinion welcome and would be appreciated.

Please kindly help good people!!!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:45 am

benneviss wrote:In my view your child does not need to apply for ILR but MN1 (BC) straight away.
No.

If child was not born in the UK, then child's British citizenship registration is Subject to discretion (3(1)).

If child was born in the UK, then see also Child born in UK to parents with temporary permission to wor.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks all for your various contributions.

Vinny, if I was to go down the 'Discretion route', i.e (3(1)) in applying for my child's British citizenship registration, would you know the Application Form I need to use and documents/guidance I need to look at in preparing the application?

Cheers

benneviss

Post by benneviss » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:07 pm

You need to use MN1 .

chin1605 wrote:Thanks all for your various contributions.

Vinny, if I was to go down the 'Discretion route', i.e (3(1)) in applying for my child's British citizenship registration, would you know the Application Form I need to use and documents/guidance I need to look at in preparing the application?

Cheers

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Click on my links for more information.

jjrajesh

Post by jjrajesh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi,

Is the period of leave under the 7 year child rule counted towards 10 years lawful stay for ILR?

If someone have 8 years lawful residence and gets leave under 7 year child provision for another 30 months, so is it possibble to apply for ILR in next 24 months?

http://www.arshadmahmood.com/human-righ ... ously.html

Regards.

jjrajesh

Post by jjrajesh » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am

Any views experts...

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm

jjrajesh wrote:Hi,

Is the period of leave under the 7 year child rule counted towards 10 years lawful stay for ILR?

If someone have 8 years lawful residence and gets leave under 7 year child provision for another 30 months, so is it possibble to apply for ILR in next 24 months?

http://www.arshadmahmood.com/human-righ ... ously.html

Regards.
Jjrajesh,

Although I’m also still trying to get my head around this route – having started this thread – the answer to your question would appear to be YES, you can apply for ILR.

My opinion is based on the the following excerpt from the link in your earlier response – which I found very informative.

“…the UKBA will now grant initial leave to remain for a period of 30 months and upon completion of ten years residence in the UK under this category a person can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) unless he is eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) earlier on the basis of ten years long continuous and lawful residence”.

The link also mentions that the form to use is: FLR(O), which also answers my earlier question.

FURTHER QUESTIONS

1. Can I apply in October as soon as my son hits the 7 year threshold, even though we all have valid Leave to Remain till October 2015?

2. How does the application in this route work? Do I apply for my son first (FLR) and after he gets his, I will then apply for mine?

Help!!!

jjrajesh

Post by jjrajesh » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 pm

sarah benny
Newly Registered

Post by sarah benny » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:29 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part7/

section 276ADE(iv)

As far as I know this is used when applying for further leave to remain on the basis of private life and usually when the applicant and his/her parents have no legal status in the UK. They can grant discretionary leave but not ILR straight away.

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 am

sarah benny wrote:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part7/

section 276ADE(iv)

As far as I know this is used when applying for further leave to remain on the basis of private life and usually when the applicant and his/her parents have no legal status in the UK. They can grant discretionary leave but not ILR straight away.
Thanks for your contribution Sarah.

That had been one of the things I wasn't sure about, as myself and my dependants have a legal status valid until 2015.

Does that then mean that it is not a route applicable to my son as he is/has been here legally?

I just thought it would be an opportunity if my son qualified to switch into another category away from Tier 2(G) and all the hassles with Sponsorship, SOC codes, RLMT etc.

Please more opinions / suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:12 pm

sancha

Post by sancha » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 am

I am not sure but considering Tier2(G) uncertainity (as always linked to employment) I think it would be better option to switch to this route through FLR (O) which will give certainity for next five year (30+30months) and in the mean time go for long term ILR based on 10 years- all these are thought and please do a complete research before follow.

jjrajesh

Post by jjrajesh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:13 am

The 7 year child rule applies not only for the people without legal status but also for the people in other categories.

sarah benny
Newly Registered

Post by sarah benny » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm

chin1605,

I met up with a friend who works in Immigration and asked him about the 7 year rule, he said it can apply to any child regardless of whether they are legally here or not but its at Home Office's discretion. He also said that you can only apply just before your visa expires (28 days or so) and as your son's visa doesn't expire till 2015, dont think you can submit another application on his behalf.

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm

sarah benny wrote:chin1605,

I met up with a friend who works in Immigration and asked him about the 7 year rule, he said it can apply to any child regardless of whether they are legally here or not but its at Home Office's discretion. He also said that you can only apply just before your visa expires (28 days or so) and as your son's visa doesn't expire till 2015, dont think you can submit another application on his behalf.

Many thanks all for your contributions/opinions.

Sarah benny: This is as clear as it can be. I'm sure a lot of people will find this helpful.

This forum is indeed a very helpful and supportive source for members. Well done all. Very much appreciated.

Please keep opinions and suggestions on this going.

chin1605

Post by chin1605 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has something new to add/suggest.

Cheers