ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Finacee visa v's Getting married in Philippines

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

corum99

Finacee visa v's Getting married in Philippines

Post by corum99 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi,

I would appreciate any comments on whether it will be easier to apply for a fiance visa or to go to the Philippines and get married then return and apply for a spouse visa?

Being employed it would be difficult for me to get more than a three week stretch off from work and i'm wondering if that would be long enough, i.e. is there a minimum time that I would have to be in the Philippines under their law?

Can I simply

1. Obtain a CNI in the UK
2. Travel to Philippines and exchange for a local CNI
3. Get married.

All in a fortnight!

Is that possible?

I appreciate that if I travel without taking a CNI from the UK there is a 21 day delay.

Thanks.

britandco
Newly Registered

Post by britandco » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:13 pm

I am British and my Filipino wife says she thinks it would be difficult. The bans have to be posted for three Sundays running, and you have to be there to sign in the first place, and be there three weeks later for the wedding! But please ask you fiancee to check this because it could be different depending on the province in which she lives.

I was living in Phil with my fiancee 6 years ago when we applied for fiancee visa for UK, got married in the UK, and then returned to Phil, as required by the 'Visit for Marriage' visa which my fiancee had. We live in Spain at the moment and are just about to apply for spouse visa to return to UK to live.

My wife says don't forget if you get married in Phil you need the birith certificates of both sets of parents!

Best of luck!

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 am

A fiance visa is fairly straight forward. You should check if you meet the following as the more evidence you have the easier it will be to succeed.

1) How long have you been in a relationship.
2) Do you have evidence of this. Records of skype chat, photos, plane tickets.
3) Have you ever lived together in a marriage type relationship. Your friend could visit you on holiday and return. Do not mention fiance or marriage on general visitor visa application or on arrival in the UK. Preferable apply for a month, but stay for 6. Do not overstay.
4) Do you earn 18600 pounds annually. 6 months orginal bank statements and payslips. Tax P60.
5) Do you have adequate accommodation. Tenancy agreement or mortgage statements. Overcrowding will result in a refusal.
6) Pay a solicitor to write a letter showing you will sponsor your fiance.
7) Write letters on your intentions.
8) Organise a wedding venue and pay a deposit.
9) Organise for a Council to conduct the wedding ceremony.
10) Your fiance must apply for the visa from their home county. A general visitor visa cannot be converted from within the UK.
11) Fiance must pass an English Test. It is thought this may be at Level B1 from October 2013.
12 ) Check if TB testing must be done in fiances home country.
13) Make sure there is no overstaying as this results in automatic refusals.
14) Read the UKBA website for guidance as rules change all the time.
15) make sure fiance has no criminal records as this could result in a refusal.
16) Fiance cannot work until married and applied for FLR. Best method is book an appointment as the postal method can take 6 months or longer.
17) Once fiance has visa add their name to the Council Tax. This is good evidence to show to marriage councillor for proof UK address.
18) Change a utility bill once married into your spouse to show as extra evidence spouse living with you at UK address. This is needed for FLR applications.
19) Take loads of photos at wedding and submit for FLR application. 2 guests at a wedding is not enough and won't look genuine.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)

menwall

Post by menwall » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:16 pm

DieselD is right, those 19 points are a good guideline.

I would say though that certain points are not set in stone. For example, if you started a job in late March or April or May and worked for 6 months, you wouldn't have a P60 available so wouldn't provide it(you could clarify this by mentioning it in your introductory letter so they dont wonder why you dont have it).

Also, I don't think the first FLR(M) after the marriage necessarily has have to have proof of address of the fiance staying at the same place. The fiance would only have been in the country for a maximum of 5 months probably, and in some cases just a few weeks if the wedding and FLR application is soon after she has arrived in the UK. You could always register her with the local GP, dentist, police station and recieve some form of this proof as well...but I wouldn't say its integral on the very first FLR application after getting married.

In all other FLR and ILR/SET applications thereafter, though, it would be important to show proof of living together.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 pm

menwall wrote:DieselD is right, those 19 points are a good guideline.

I would say though that certain points are not set in stone. For example, if you started a job in late March or April or May and worked for 6 months, you wouldn't have a P60 available so wouldn't provide it(you could clarify this by mentioning it in your introductory letter so they dont wonder why you dont have it).

Also, I don't think the first FLR(M) after the marriage necessarily has have to have proof of address of the fiance staying at the same place. The fiance would only have been in the country for a maximum of 5 months probably, and in some cases just a few weeks if the wedding and FLR application is soon after she has arrived in the UK. You could always register her with the local GP, dentist, police station and recieve some form of this proof as well...but I wouldn't say its integral on the very first FLR application after getting married.

In all other FLR and ILR/SET applications thereafter, though, it would be important to show proof of living together.
Many people are asked to produce 5 letters posted to either spouse during FLR applications. It is better to send these with the application to avoid being asked for it later. By the time ILR comes around you need 6 letters over the time period you have lived together.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)