ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa sponsorship enquiry?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Thetruthprevials

Visitor visa sponsorship enquiry?

Post by Thetruthprevials » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 am

Hi all, I am inviting my mother-in-law to my wedding in the summer. I am a British citizen and I work on a self employed basis i.e. freelance. I can provide bank statements, tenancy agreement, air tickets, feeding etc. In the letter I have written down for her I have simply put "i am self employed" is this enough? I don't claim benefits but I am able to look after myself and pay the bills is this what they are looking for?

Thanks

ban.s

Re: Visitor visa sponsorship enquiry?

Post by ban.s » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Thetruthprevials wrote: I don't claim benefits but I am able to look after myself and pay the bills is this what they are looking for?
It depends on what you have stated in the invitation letter. If you are just inviting her and she is sponsoring her trip and accommodation, then your details are of less importance.

However, if you are sponsoring her in terms of accommodation / expenses etc then ECO would want to see that whether you, as a sponsor, would actually be able to look after the applicant during her stay in the UK.

Thetruthprevials

Re: Visitor visa sponsorship enquiry?

Post by Thetruthprevials » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 am

ban.s wrote:
Thetruthprevials wrote: I don't claim benefits but I am able to look after myself and pay the bills is this what they are looking for?
It depends on what you have stated in the invitation letter. If you are just inviting her and she is sponsoring her trip and accommodation, then your details are of less importance.

However, if you are sponsoring her in terms of accommodation / expenses etc then ECO would want to see that whether you, as a sponsor, would actually be able to look after the applicant during her stay in the UK.
Thanks I am able to look after during her short stay. Should I send 3 or 6 months of my bank statement?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:35 am

Send 6 if you have six; otherwise send what you can.

Thetruthprevials

Post by Thetruthprevials » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 am

Lucapooka wrote:Send 6 if you have six; otherwise send what you can.
Thanks i will send 6

ekta

Post by ekta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Can you please confirm if you are sending original bank statements or scanned copy will suffice?

Any senior members please confirm if original bank statements are needed?

Thetruthprevials

Post by Thetruthprevials » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm

ekta wrote:Can you please confirm if you are sending original bank statements or scanned copy will suffice?

Any senior members please confirm if original bank statements are needed?
Hi, I was going to send photocopies that have been certified at the bank i.e. stamped

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 pm

See UKBA guidance on Supporting documents

If you wish you can submit original documents but I personally don't think sponsor's orginal documents are mandatory. Whenever I sponsored relatives in the past I sent photocopies.
However, the sponsorship / invitation letter should be original i.e. signed in ink.

Vega

Post by Vega » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 pm

ban.s wrote: However, the sponsorship / invitation letter should be original i.e. signed in ink.
Are you sure that is a fact?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:40 pm

I would always send the invitation letter in original especially if I am sponsoring the trip (financially) and providing accommodation etc.
However that doesn't mean scanned copy / photocopy of the invitation letter won't be accepted. UKBA guidance on supporting documents for visitors is bit open ended. A lot depends on the country / post of application, applicant's past travel history etc...ultimately the visa officer needs to be covinced with purpose of the trip. Sponsorship letter is just one piece of supporting evidence (albeit an important one)