ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Senior people of this forum, please Help!!!!!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

knapps
Member of Standing

Senior people of this forum, please Help!!!!!

Post by knapps » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

I have recently become an Irish citizen after 5 years of naturalization. I have been working full time for 7 years in Ireland. I also own a business in a partnership and have a limited company (but small).

My brother is on a student visa in Ireland since 2009.

My question is; is there any prevalent law that on my behalf my brother can apply for residency or any other type of visa?

I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

The simple and definite answer would be No

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Your Irish citizenship does not confer any rights to siblings or ascendants.

However, if you have an EU spouse and are entitled to the citizenship of his/her country, then you could make an application under EU treaty rights, although there are a number of rules attached to sibling applications and you would need sufficient documentary evidence.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:41 pm

You have a business. Can you offer your brother the type of job that will allow him to qualify for citizenship in his own right?

If you have any other relatives/siblings/nephews who want to come to Ireland, one route is to adopt them while they are still minor children (ie before 18 years). Your children get Irish citizenship from the moment of birth or adoption, so long as the adoption is legal in Ireland. (You adopt under the law of your home country).

I know one single female non EU worker in Ireland who has adopted her sisters infant of six months old, and the child has Irish citizenship because the adoptive mum has been here long enough. She has left the infant with her sister in her home country, as she does not want to pay for childcare here. The child will come to Ireland at about 14 years of age, for second and third level education here (both will be free of charge) and will go back to her former mum, now aunt in the summer holidays.
BL

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am

Brigid from Ireland wrote:I know one single female non EU worker in Ireland who has adopted her sisters infant of six months old, and the child has Irish citizenship because the adoptive mum has been here long enough. She has left the infant with her sister in her home country, as she does not want to pay for childcare here. The child will come to Ireland at about 14 years of age, for second and third level education here (both will be free of charge) and will go back to her former mum, now aunt in the summer holidays.
This sounds like a very clever, albeit bizarre, idea. But how can they predict that the infant will want to go along with this at age 14?!

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sun May 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Oh, it was clever. Her employer paid full salary for the whole six months of adoptive leave (as per her contract). She said at the time that she really enjoyed the paid time off!!

Children usually do as they are told, and by age 12/14 they understand that education = good job = good income.
BL

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm

One thing I don't understand though ... How come did the child get Irish citizenship since he/she was not born in Ireland and her adoptive mother is not Irish? (As far as I know, children of non Irish national who have been living in Ireland for at least 3 years are Irish only if they are born in Ireland)

Is the law different for adoptions?

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sun May 12, 2013 7:34 pm

My guess is that the adoptive mum had been in Ireland long enough to have Irish citizenship. That is just a guess, as she was here about 8 years. In that case, the child got citizenship no matter where in the world she was born (or adopted) as she was the child of a person who was an Irish citizen at the time of the adoption.
BL

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 pm

OK ... I was confused as you said she was non-EU; makes sense then :-)

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sun May 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Yes. Non-EU by birth, but probably Irish by the time she adopted.

In fairness to the mom, I know that women from her country often send children born in Ireland home to grandparents to be minded. Childcare is expensive here, so maybe they have no choice.
BL

Latintraveller

Post by Latintraveller » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Brigid
I am considering adopting my Peruvian step-son. I am a British Citizen and was resident in Ireland from 1998 to 2003 and again from Feb 2013. Although I am not an Irish Citizen could the fact that I am adopting him on Irish soil, being resident in Ireland and using Irish law make him an Irish National after adoption?
Thanks

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 pm

No. The best idea is to wait and for your wife and son to apply for Irish citizenship after they have lived with you in Ireland for 5 years. This is far easier than adoption.

The child would most likely get UK citizenship from a UK adoptive father.

He would only get Irish citizenship if you had Irish citizenship. I don't suppose you have an Irish grandparent/a grandparent born on the island of Ireland?
BL

Latintraveller

Post by Latintraveller » Fri May 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Apparently my Great, Great Grandmother was Irish, but then if you go back that far most English (or Americans) are in that situation