ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalized need to travel India on Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

brian76
Newly Registered

British Naturalized need to travel India on Indian Passport

Post by brian76 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi,
I Know there are a few threads regarding my query. I have a specific question with regard to my query.
I am an Indian Nation who became a British citizen this week. I now need to travel India in the next 2-3 weeks. So within this short period, I cannot apply for a British passport and neither can i surrender my India passport for OCI.

I understand from the few posts that

1. I can travel to India with Indian Passport within the grace period of 3 months. I hope this is right, if not please clarify.

2. If I can travel with an Indian Passport, then on my return to UK, I need to fill the landing card (because I will not be having my British passport yet). What should I mention in the column CURRENT STATUS IN UK. should I mention British citizen?
Should I carry my British Naturalization certificate with me? during travel.
Will I have any issue

I hope I have made my question clear. Would appreciate your valuable feedback.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Re: British Naturalized need to travel India on Indian Passp

Post by Mauser1905 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 am

brian76 wrote:Hi,
I am an Indian Nation who became a British citizen this week. I now need to travel India in the next 2-3 weeks.

1. I can travel to India with Indian Passport within the grace period of 3 months. I hope this is right, if not please clarify.

2. If I can travel with an Indian Passport, then on my return to UK, I need to fill the landing card (because I will not be having my British passport yet). What should I mention in the column CURRENT STATUS IN UK. should I mention British citizen?
Should I carry my British Naturalization certificate with me? during travel.
Will I have any issue
1. Your understanding is correct.

Three months is grace period in which travel on Indian passport (When acquire British Citizenship) will not accrue any financial penalty (as stated on the OCI pages) and associated delay in processing OCI applications in the future. One can travel beyond 3 months grace period also, only the difficulties mentined above take place!

3. Choice is yours.
You have two options either state Indian passport ILR, or secondly state British. However Even if you state British you wont be able to use separate border queue for UK passport in arrivals, you still ahve to use foreign passport queue.

Then if you opt to not mention British in the landing card, no harm in my personal opinion as you ahve already become British citizen and due to circumstances you have not yet been able to apply and receive British passport.
If I were you I would just use status as per Indian passport for the last time and go through the mill!

Good luck.

u_n
Newly Registered

Post by u_n » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Brian,

Would you mind sharing your experience with the immigration officers at UK? Also, any information on the landing card filling would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Adapala1980
Newly Registered

Post by Adapala1980 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi,
I am applying for British nauraliation,but on 10th Dec 2014 I need to travel to India (which means after taking the oath) and work there for 6 months.I am planning to do the following :

- Apply for naturalization , take the oath, apply for British passport and travel to India using Indian Passport.
- When they call for the interview I will travel back to UK ( using the Indian passport) just to attend the interview , following the interview I need to go back to India as I will not get holidays for more than 1 week

- After 6 weeks I am planning to come back to UK for a week during which I will collect my UK passport, Surrender Indian passport and take visa for India to travel back to India.

Can you please let me know the following :
- Can I apply for British passport and then travel to India ? My only worry is because I am naturalized, am i loosing my ILR and I can't enter UK?

- Does it states any where on the home office website that after applying for the British passport, I am allowed to travel and can enter UK using ILR or does it state I am not allowed to travel.

- When I travel back to UK after 6 weeks of applying for the UK passport to collect my british passport, will there be any problem at the port of entry

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:23 am

Adapala1980 wrote:Hi,
I am applying for British nauraliation,but on 10th Dec 2014 I need to travel to India (which means after taking the oath) and work there for 6 months.I am planning to do the following :

- Apply for naturalization , take the oath, apply for British passport and travel to India using Indian Passport.
- When they call for the interview I will travel back to UK ( using the Indian passport) just to attend the interview , following the interview I need to go back to India as I will not get holidays for more than 1 week
This plan will not work as you'll need to submit you indian passport for british passport application. You'll not be able to travel whilst the BP application is under considersation.

Also without proper work visa or PIO/OCI if you work in india, it will be illegal.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:43 am

Adapala1980 wrote:Hi,

- After 6 weeks I am planning to come back to UK for a week during which I will collect my UK passport, Surrender Indian passport and take visa for India to travel back to India.

Can you please let me know the following :
- Can I apply for British passport and then travel to India ? My only worry is because I am naturalized, am i loosing my ILR and I can't enter UK?

- Does it states any where on the home office website that after applying for the British passport, I am allowed to travel and can enter UK using ILR or does it state I am not allowed to travel.

- When I travel back to UK after 6 weeks of applying for the UK passport to collect my british passport, will there be any problem at the port of entry

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks.
You surely can think in a very very complicated way.

First of all how do you know 10/12/2014 will be after you have taken oath? You may not have your naturalization application approved by then, a very high probability if your post means what you are saying , that you have not applied for naturalisation yet.

Then you have to get an appointment for ceremony and then only you can take oath.

Assuming you land up in the situation that you think you will be in, why do you want to keep travelling between UK and India ?? You can apply for British Passport from India.. it will indeed be very strange and unheard of for you to do this plus the fact it will still not work for the reason, mentioned above.