ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Wed May 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi

I have a question regarding section 3 of the form.

Do we need to send the passport that we first entered the UK with or just current passport would do?

I have 1 current passport, and 3 expired passport (ILR is on expired passport)

As per the Table of supporting documents on Page 17 it mentions to include the passport that was first entered the UK with.

Kind regards

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Is this a trick question?

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Plum70 wrote:Is this a trick question?
No this is not a trick question? What makes you say that?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed May 15, 2013 3:26 pm

If you are applying based on naturalisation, then all you need to send is your current passport and nat certificate.

the link that you posted refers to old guidebook, refer to the table in page 12-13 of the new guide booklet

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Thu May 16, 2013 7:59 am

ban.s wrote:If you are applying based on naturalisation, then all you need to send is your current passport and nat certificate.

the link that you posted refers to old guidebook, refer to the table in page 12-13 of the new guide booklet
Thanks for your reply.

Yes this is after getting naturalisation approval

I just needed clarification so I don't need to send any of my previous expired passport,just the current passport which does not have the ILR.

It's just that I was reading on this forum somewhere when using Check & Send service they were being asked to include canceled passport.

barnaby

Re: British Passport Application

Post by barnaby » Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 am

The OP is probably confused because the FAQ on this forum currently states:
"You need to send any current passport you have. You also need to send the passport you entered the UK with."

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Re: British Passport Application

Post by lynxukauq » Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 am

barnaby wrote:The OP is probably confused because the FAQ on this forum currently states:
"You need to send any current passport you have. You also need to send the passport you entered the UK with."
Yes this is what I mean.

I entered UK in 1999. so will I have to include the passport that I used to enter UK in 1999.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 16, 2013 1:12 pm

A british citizenship can be obtained though various routes and the passport application form is a generic one and caters to all the british citizens irrespective of their path of citizenship. You need to complete sections that are relevant to you and submit applicable documents. Read the link that I posted earlier.

The FAQ in this forum needs to be updated.

Ps: I myself obtained passport just by sending my current passport (not the expired one that was used during entry) and naturalisation certificate. I just posted the application, didn't use PO check and send.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Thu May 16, 2013 1:56 pm

ban.s wrote:A british citizenship can be obtained though various routes and the passport application form is a generic one and caters to all the british citizens irrespective of their path of citizenship. You need to complete sections that are relevant to you and submit applicable documents. Read the link that I posted earlier.

The FAQ in this forum needs to be updated.

Ps: I myself obtained passport just by sending my current passport (not the expired one that was used during entry) and naturalisation certificate. I just posted the application, didn't use PO check and send.
I am aware of routes, just wanted some clarification.

Many thanks for your response. I am also planning to send my application by post rather than use Check&Send service.

Webcowgirl
Newly Registered

Which passport?

Post by Webcowgirl » Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 pm

I have been reading through the documentation required for a passport application as a newly naturalised citizen (as of today!) and I was also wondering about submitting my passport: can I get by with just submitting the passport I came into the country in, which is expired? I would like to be able to use my current passport to travel on while the application is being decided.

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Does anyone have an answer to Webcowgirl's q? I'm in a similar situation myself.

Thanks!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

You need current passport.

Current means the one that is current, not the one that is expired. Becasue if something is expired its not current.

You definitely need the one that is in date. Again think about the word "current". You do not need the one that has expired.

This question gets asked about 300 times in a week, and it gets answered with the same info every time. But still people just want to keep asking it. I wonder why? If after reading the thing 300 times on this forum does not make you understand something, then you have learning difficulties.

So get this through to your (not so clever) heads. If you become BC by naturalisation, then at the time of passport application you need to send your foreign unexpired passport.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: Which passport?

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 am

Webcowgirl wrote:I have been reading through the documentation required for a passport application as a newly naturalised citizen (as of today!) and I was also wondering about submitting my passport: can I get by with just submitting the passport I came into the country in, which is expired? I would like to be able to use my current passport to travel on while the application is being decided.
How would you like to attend the passport interview? Skype?

IPS is introducing a premium passport interview service. They can conduct passport interview in a country of your choice. It costs £25000.
Still interested to keep hold of your dear national unexpired passport?

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:02 am

lol! :lol:

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote: Current means the one that is current, not the one that is expired. Becasue if something is expired its not current.

You definitely need the one that is in date. Again think about the word "current". You do not need the one that has expired.

This question gets asked about 300 times in a week, and it gets answered with the same info every time. But still people just want to keep asking it. I wonder why? If after reading the thing 300 times on this forum does not make you understand something, then you have learning difficulties.

Actually, the Gov.UK guidance for applying for your first adult passport says (Source: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... pplication):

Born outside the UK
You have a certificate of naturalisation or registration
You must send:
- your naturalisation or registration certificate
- the passport you used to come into the UK or foreign passport you’re included on

No mention of current. So forgive the repetition. Or better yet, you can spare the snarky comments, and let someone who wants to answer it, do so.

Ayyubi72 wrote: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
Sadly, there isn't an emoticon for "Forgot to take my Prozac today"... think that might be more appropriate, non?
[/u]

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:23 pm

@ Lankanfunkin.

I really do not understand why people need to use their brains to research useless information.

If you have expired passports and current passport, just chuck them all in the post. They will all come back intact.

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Personally, I travel a lot for business. So if the requirements were as per the published guidance on Gov.UK, this would have given me an opportunity to hold onto my current passport (and continue travelling for work and pleasure), while the UKBA held onto my documents for 6 weeks.

Over the last few years, I have been able to jump through the UKBA hoops but NOT surrender my passport for an extended period (I got the same day service for ILR, used NCS for applying for naturialisation, etc.) But ironically, its the UK passport process - not the immigration - that requires me to stay grounded for the longest period of time!

::: Rant over:::

Apologies for hijacking this post, but if anyone knows a way to get my first UK passport without surrendering my existing passport for such a long length of time, please let me know. From what I read, the Premium and Fast Track did not apply for first adult UK passports.

Cheers!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 pm

You will get the passport back within 10-14 days. It's not 6 weeks.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Do you really need to travel every 6 weeks? Really?

Right now it seems it takes about 4 weeks or so to get all docs back.

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:Do you really need to travel every 6 weeks? Really?
Pretty much a trip a month, sometimes two. It certainly made documenting my travel over the last 5 / 3 years for the ILR / Nat applications quite a task.

Jambo, Ayyubi72 thanks for the estimates - thats much more reassuring to know that its not the entire 6 month duration. Just so i know, were those based on forum member feedback, or a government estimate? I'm hoping its closer to 2 vs. 4...

Thanks again!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:20 pm

LankanFunkin wrote:
Pretty much a trip a month, sometimes two. It certainly made documenting my travel over the last 5 / 3 years for the ILR / Nat applications quite a task.

Jambo, Ayyubi72 thanks for the estimates - thats much more reassuring to know that its not the entire 6 month duration. Just so i know, were those based on forum member feedback, or a government estimate? I'm hoping its closer to 2 vs. 4...

Thanks again!
See the application timelines
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks, D4109125

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 pm

LankanFunkin wrote:

Thanks again!
There is a whole passport application sticky which States the time it took for IPS to return documents... They are pretty quick