ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent travel to India, Indian passport not surrendered

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shabanaimrank

Urgent travel to India, Indian passport not surrendered

Post by shabanaimrank » Tue May 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with my query.

I have obtained British Passport in March 2013, but I have not surrendered my Indian Passport. I have filled in the online Indian Tourist Visa application but due to fault in the website I cannot schedule an appointment so I decided to visit their center.

My question is Am I Ok to apply for this tourist visa application without surrendering my Indian Passport?

Please suggest what should I do

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue May 28, 2013 6:34 pm

your visa application is unlikely to be accepted unless you surrender your indian passport.

shabanaimrank

Post by shabanaimrank » Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 am

Thanks for replying. Is it possible to surrender passport in person or will I have to wait for 2-3 weeks until the process is finished.

Also when I surrender passport will they give me surrender certificate or will I have to apply for it seperately (the information on the website was very confusing).

After surrending passport if I apply for Indian Visa do I need to take my cancelled indian passport with me or surrender certificate ?

Please suggest

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 am

Is it possible to surrender passport in person or will I have to wait for 2-3 weeks until the process is finished.

You should surrender it in person. A much straightforward process as compared to surrendering it by post IMHO.If you have your British Passport, surrender your Indian Passport asap
Also when I surrender passport will they give me surrender certificate or will I have to apply for it seperately (the information on the website was very confusing).
You are issued with surrender certificate once you surrender your passport and your application has been processed. They will return back your Indian passport with the ends cut out and with a stamp making it invalid for travel.
After surrending passport if I apply for Indian Visa do I need to take my cancelled indian passport with me or surrender certificate ?
You can, but it won't help speed up the process. Your Indian visa would be processed like any other person with a UK Passport irrespective of the fact that he/she held a Indian Passport or Surrender Certificate. Best would be to apply for OCI asap.

shabanaimrank

Post by shabanaimrank » Thu May 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks krazydude, I was just about to post my application and following your advice I'll hand in the application personally.

Many thanks....all help much appreciated :)

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

krazydude wrote:
You are issued with surrender certificate once you surrender your passport and your application has been processed. They will return back your Indian passport with the ends cut out and with a stamp making it invalid for travel.
members have posted their recent experience that along with surrender certificate Indian passports are being returned without ends cut and any cancellation stamps.