ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Alan Shatter's ongoing battles

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AShawna

Alan Shatter's ongoing battles

Post by AShawna » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Any opinion on the current battles the Justice minister is facing? Accusations et al

I was expecting to hear the voices of the immigrant community considering the remarkable changes he's made to the citizenship process...
Last edited by AShawna on Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...though it tarries, it shall surely come...

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Re: Alan Shatter's ongoing battles

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue May 28, 2013 9:31 pm

AShawna wrote:Any opinion on the current battles the Justice minister is facing? Accusations et all

I was expecting to hear the voices of the immigrant community considering the remarkable changes he's made to the citizenship process...
Thats actually a very good point that you've raised.

To my thoughts, most naturalised Irish Citizens still donbt feel 100% Irish, some are scared to voice their opinions such as this one, some think that their citizenship may be revoked or intended in matters like this, lots of things really.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 am

I think Alan is a great man, he have done remarkable job for the immigrants in this country and to be honest this is the first time ever in my life in Ireland that I will feel some one nice, honest and a man of dignity is the minister of justice. I have 10000% believe on this man.

Alan you are great!

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

I too think Alan Shatter is a brilliant Justice Minister. He's made more positive and significant changes during his time than ALL of the previous Justice Minister's put together.

I think the gossip and speculation him is petty nonsense, driven by political motivation just to cast a bad light on the current government. I am not a huge fan of the current government, but I do really like Alan Shatter. He seems to be one of the few Minister's actually doing his job, and doing it well at that.

I just hope these petty arguments don't materialise and force him out of his position or force a general election as my hubby can't apply for citizenship until the middle of 2015 and I would really like Mr. Shatter to still be Justice Minister to ensure a smooth application process and not a really long wait for the decision.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

eternitate1903

Post by eternitate1903 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Monifé wrote:I too think Alan Shatter is a brilliant Justice Minister. He's made more positive and significant changes during his time than ALL of the previous Justice Minister's put together.

I think the gossip and speculation him is petty nonsense, driven by political motivation just to cast a bad light on the current government. I am not a huge fan of the current government, but I do really like Alan Shatter. He seems to be one of the few Minister's actually doing his job, and doing it well at that.

I just hope these petty arguments don't materialise and force him out of his position or force a general election as my hubby can't apply for citizenship until the middle of 2015 and I would really like Mr. Shatter to still be Justice Minister to ensure a smooth application process and not a really long wait for the decision.

Just wondering if this more efficient naturalization process will go on even if Alan Shatter is not minister anymore. Under normal circumstances this is a system that's introduced by someone and successors follow the same system, it should not depend on person. But again, here's ireland...

AShawna

Post by AShawna » Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 pm

I hope he gets to put all the troubles behind him and continue his work. This is a witch hunt primarily targeting the current government, just unfortunate Shatter is a scape-goat

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/al ... 06956.html
...though it tarries, it shall surely come...

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 pm

eternitate1903 wrote:Just wondering if this more efficient naturalization process will go on even if Alan Shatter is not minister anymore. Under normal circumstances this is a system that's introduced by someone and successors follow the same system, it should not depend on person. But again, here's ireland...
It totally depends on the Minister. A minister that has little interest in Immigration, especially in Naturalisation Unit will make the process pretty reluctant. S/he could even move some citizenship processing staff to a different unit and then the backlog continues.

Being optimistic, the next Minister might be someone really motivated by what Alan Shatter has done and wanting to do more.

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 am

Alan shatter is simply a God sent to the needy. no matter how they gang up against him, one thing for sure he will definitely finish his assignment.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am

El shaddai wrote:Alan shatter is simply a God sent to the needy.
Lets not get carries over ;-)

While I so think he did a good job at improving the naturalisation process, Alan Shatter could not have made that decision on his own as it also is a pretty political one; so this is not just his thing but rather a different view on immigration and naturalisation from FG as a whole compared to FF.

Also, I am not necessarily of that opinion, but some might say that clearing-up the backlog of naturalisation applications was a good way for the government to raise some quick cash that is badly needed (it is not a huge amount, but whenever they have a ceremony for 4000 people, it is always good for the government to collect 4 million euros).
This view could be supported by the fact that the renewal fee for GNIB cards went up from 150 to 300 euros this year ... So much for the needy!

I mean ... I tend to like the man and there is no doubt he did achieve good things - but still he simply is a politician applying his party line (nothing wrong with that), and certainly not god sent.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri May 31, 2013 12:47 pm

jeupsy wrote:
El shaddai wrote:Alan shatter is simply a God sent to the needy.
Lets not get carries over ;-)

While I so think he did a good job at improving the naturalisation process, Alan Shatter could not have made that decision on his own as it also is a pretty political one; so this is not just his thing but rather a different view on immigration and naturalisation from FG as a whole compared to FF.

Also, I am not necessarily of that opinion, but some might say that clearing-up the backlog of naturalisation applications was a good way for the government to raise some quick cash that is badly needed (it is not a huge amount, but whenever they have a ceremony for 4000 people, it is always good for the government to collect 4 million euros).
This view could be supported by the fact that the renewal fee for GNIB cards went up from 150 to 300 euros this year ... So much for the needy!

I mean ... I tend to like the man and there is no doubt he did achieve good things - but still he simply is a politician applying his party line (nothing wrong with that), and certainly not god sent.
Well argurably Alan Shatter is God sent to thousands of people, or should I say that thousands of people view him that way.

Despite the money making and political influence, Alan Shatter has been always critical of the naturalisation process even before he became the Minister. He was outspoken about the process and had asked numerous times for changes to be done.

I am not surprised that he made some drastic changes since he came into office EVEN WAIVING THE REQUIRMENTS for citizenship applicants that are/had been on the social welfare system. He also reduced the processing timeframe from 24months to 12months.

Without Alan Shatter hundreds/thousands of people will be denied citizenship. i.e Those on S.welfare which they are entitled for, Minor offenders and all other categories, etc

Could you tell citizenship applicants that had minor offenses and those that are/had been on s. welfare system that Alan Shatter is not a God sent and they'll agree with you? Not a chance.

As far as I am concerned, he is a God sent to thousands of people.