ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public Fund

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

black_bird

Public Fund

Post by black_bird » Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 pm

hi all :)

Thanks for everyone who responded previously.

A question about public fund, HSMP+Tier 1 is based on the condition of no access to public funds. Page 11 Q5.5 has Council Tax Reduction as one of them, if I rent as a single, I thought the Council deduct 25% out of the Council Tax? Does this count? :-o Will ILR be refused based on this?

Also may I double check when it refers to 'under the rules in place before 6 April 2010', this is referring to the date of first application, i.e. when HSMP was granted? (in 2008)

Many thanks in advance!!

Amber
Mood:

Re: Public Fund

Post by Amber » Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 am

black_bird wrote:hi all :)

Thanks for everyone who responded previously.

A question about public fund, HSMP+Tier 1 is based on the condition of no access to public funds. Page 11 Q5.5 has Council Tax Reduction as one of them, if I rent as a single, I thought the Council deduct 25% out of the Council Tax? Does this count? :-o Will ILR be refused based on this?

Also may I double check when it refers to 'under the rules in place before 6 April 2010', this is referring to the date of first application, i.e. when HSMP was granted? (in 2008)

Many thanks in advance!!
A council tax discount I.e. single person discount is not a council tax reduction thus not a public fund.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

JShah

Post by JShah » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone guide me, what is the difference between council tax discount and council tax Reduction which is 25%.
I am confused as I was claiming single person discount (25%), now I heard that it effect ILR if someone is claiming it. There is question in the form SET(0), which says "Are You Receiving any Public Funds" and in the list there is Council Tax Reduction option as well.
Any suggestion/reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
J

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:00 pm

JShah wrote:Hi All,
Can anyone guide me, what is the difference between council tax discount and council tax Reduction which is 25%.
I am confused as I was claiming single person discount (25%), now I heard that it effect ILR if someone is claiming it. There is question in the form SET(0), which says "Are You Receiving any Public Funds" and in the list there is Council Tax Reduction option as well.
Any suggestion/reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
J
As I stated quite clearly above, a council tax discount or exemption is not a reduction for the purpose of public funds. There you tick no.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Correction

Post by sheraz7 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 pm

@jshah
Be clarified that council tax reduction is a public fund. Follow the UKBA official list of public fund at;
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ublicfunds
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Best would be to write UKBA and get a reply in writing before fill that section.
REGARDS

zen135

Post by zen135 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:23 am

"Council tax discounts, such as sole occupancy discounts, are not considered public funds for the purposes of the Immigration Rules" - see pg.8 of the 'Public Funds' guidance document:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 am

Exemptions/discounts in council tax without doubt are not public funds. But council tax reduction about which OP asked then it is a public fund despite in OP's situation it does not apply.
REGARDS

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:10 am

sheraz7 wrote:Exemptions/discounts in council tax without doubt are not public funds. But council tax reduction about which OP asked then it is a public fund despite in OP's situation it does not apply.
You should not comment when you don't understand the rules. As I said a discount and exemption is not a council tax reduction for the purpose of public funds, end of story.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:45 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:38 am

@vinny
Much appreciation for the link to clarify it bit further along with the changes came in 1st april 2013 regarding council tax.
@D41095
Can you atleast give few minutes to digest question since being post and can you kindly not come straight on conclusion. A lot of changes brought about council tax from this year and as mentioned above that as OP mixed up with council tax reduction which is a public fund and discounts usually are not public funds. But based on new changes better as a precaution to get written reply from council/ukba. Kindly donot jump on conclusion in every post and try to ask as much as question because several other factors can be involved.
REGARDS

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:40 am

sheraz7 wrote:@vinny
Much appreciation for the link to clarify it bit further along with the changes came in 1st april 2013 regarding council tax.
@D41095
Can you atleast give few minutes to digest question since being post and can you kindly not come straight on conclusion. A lot of changes brought about council tax from this year and as mentioned above that as OP mixed up with council tax reduction which is a public fund and discounts usually are not public funds. But based on new changes better as a precaution to get written reply from council/ukba. Kindly donot jump on conclusion in every post and try to ask as much as question because several other factors can be involved.
Council tax reduction under the new regulations replaces council tax benefit for new claimants. There is no confusion. Council tax discounts and exemptions are not part of the new regulations thus are not public funds.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

There is no need to ask UKBA, as the information is already made crystal clear in UKBA guidance.

Now can I give my two cents.

I think the whole discussion has been muddled up by the use of wrong terminology or should I say self-made terminology. OP himself has used wrong terminology. Amber's advice is 100 percent correct.

Now the situation is:

OP is living in a house, and paying council tax. If you are a single person, you can get 25% discount. Please note it is a "DISCOUNT" given by the council. It is not a "council tax benefit" or a "council tax reduction".

" Council tax benefit benefit" is a public fund.
"Council tax discount reduction" is a public fund.

"25% single person discount" is not a public fund.

What Amber has said and what I am saying is mentioned clearly in guidance on UKBA website, and I shall copy the same.

=QUOTE=

Immigration Rules
Paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules (see related link) defines benefits considered as public funds for the purpose of the Immigration Rules.
The following benefits and forms of support count as public funds:

Attendance allowance

Carers allowance

Child benefit

Child tax credit

Council tax benefit

Council tax reduction

Disability living allowance

Housing and homelessness assistance

Housing benefit

Income based job seekers allowance

Income related ESA

Income support

Personal independence payment

Sever disablement allowance

Social fund payment

State pension credit

Universal Credit

Working tax Credit

Council tax discounts, such as sole occupancy discounts, are not considered public funds for the purposes of immigration rules.

=UNQUOTE=

As clearly mentioned above in guidance, your 25% discount is council tax is not regarded as public funds. You are in clear.

Stop stressing, take a chill pill and sleep tight, you have nothing to worry about.
:)

For your piece of mind, you can read page 7 & 8 of this link.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: Correction

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:15 pm

sheraz7 wrote:@jshah
Be clarified that council tax reduction is a public fund. Follow the UKBA official list of public fund at;
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ublicfunds
Stop scaring people. :twisted: OP is asking about getting a 25 percent council tax discount, and you are giving irrelevant information about council tax reduction. :twisted:

m0379179m

Post by m0379179m » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for everyone .
I also have the question below:

I'm getting a council tax discount 10% on my second house! is that also not a poublic fund?

Thanks a lot.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:40 pm

No.

Just treat council tax discount as if you got a discount from a shop on the high street. :wink:

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:53 pm

@Ayyubi72/D4109125/?/?.
Unfortunately, the writing/sentence style itself indicating who is at the back of this ID but anyhow as advised you before that since we donot know the full OP's situation and OP asked about council tax discount and council tax reductions. Op already got answer that council tax discount is not public fund but since we not know his exact situation then council tax reduction has also been defined which is a public fund but discount is not a public fund.
Keep environment productive and sorry I cannot even spend my 1 pence over it. Any further insane sentence will strictly be ignored.
REGARDS

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I can assure you I am not Ayyubi72 although on this occasion we agree.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:29 pm

sheraz7 wrote:@Ayyubi72/D4109125/?/?.
Unfortunately, the writing/sentence style itself indicating who is at the back of this ID but anyhow as advised you before that since we donot know the full OP's situation and OP asked about council tax discount and council tax reductions. Op already got answer that council tax discount is not public fund but since we not know his exact situation then council tax reduction has also been defined which is a public fund but discount is not a public fund.
Keep environment productive and sorry I cannot even spend my 1 pence over it. Any further insane sentence will strictly be ignored.
Well we know his exact situation as he has already told his situation in black and white. Single person, council tax and 25 percent discount. There is nothing else to it.

Who is behind the ID? Aliens? MI5? Monster Raving looney party? But does it even matter who is behind the ID? :wink: