ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA to UK citizen - but with recent 5 years of non-work!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

madamvonmarge
Newly Registered

EEA to UK citizen - but with recent 5 years of non-work!

Post by madamvonmarge » Fri May 31, 2013 9:41 am

Apologies first if this is covered somewhere but my situation may be a little unusual.

I am from an EEA country and have been living in the UK since 1992 with no gaps.

I was a student for 3 years <had alien registration etc> and then, since rules changed, was allowed to remain with no immigration restrictions.

After working both as an employee and as a self-employed person for over 10 years, I applied for ILR and received a stamp and a card in 2005. The card has now expired <!>

Before I could apply for citizenship/naturalisation as I had intended to, I became very ill, homeless and was hospitalised. On the advice of those around me, therefore, I made recourse to public funds !!

I have therefore been, for 5 years, in receipt of housing and council tax benefit plus incapacity benefit <now ESA-CB-WRAG> and DLA.

Due to this, I have not as yet applied for naturalisation/citizenship as I am concerned that this invalidates my EEA treaty rights? Also, if I was hospitalised/on medication for depression, does it suggest I'm not of sound mind?

Should I work for 5 years before applying?

:cry:

Amber
Mood:

Re: EEA to UK citizen - but with recent 5 years of non-work!

Post by Amber » Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 am

madamvonmarge wrote:Apologies first if this is covered somewhere but my situation may be a little unusual.

I am from an EEA country and have been living in the UK since 1992 with no gaps.

I was a student for 3 years <had alien registration etc> and then, since rules changed, was allowed to remain with no immigration restrictions.

After working both as an employee and as a self-employed person for over 10 years, I applied for ILR and received a stamp and a card in 2005. The card has now expired <!>

Before I could apply for citizenship/naturalisation as I had intended to, I became very ill, homeless and was hospitalised. On the advice of those around me, therefore, I made recourse to public funds !!

I have therefore been, for 5 years, in receipt of housing and council tax benefit plus incapacity benefit <now ESA-CB-WRAG> and DLA.

Due to this, I have not as yet applied for naturalisation/citizenship as I am concerned that this invalidates my EEA treaty rights? Also, if I was hospitalised/on medication for depression, does it suggest I'm not of sound mind?

Should I work for 5 years before applying?

:cry:
Once you are settled you won't lose it unless for example you leave the uk for 2 years. It doesn't matter if the card expires. You appear to be eligible for naturalisation. Given your health conditions I suggest you use the Nationality checking service. Get the AN form and your documents including the expired settlement card and get yourself an appointment they'll go through everything with you. Claiming benefits is immaterial. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... locations/

Don't worry about your mental health you'll be fine. That relates to someone who doesn't know what day of the week it is.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

madamvonmarge
Newly Registered

Post by madamvonmarge » Fri May 31, 2013 10:31 am

D4109125 wrote: Once you are settled you won't lose it unless for example you leave the uk for 2 years. It doesn't matter if the card expires. You appear to be eligible for naturalisation. Given your health conditions I suggest you use the Nationality checking service. Get the AN form and your documents including the expired settlement card and get yourself an appointment they'll go through everything with you. Claiming benefits is immaterial. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... locations/

Don't worry about your mental health you'll be fine. That relates to someone who doesn't know what day of the week it is.
You're sure about the benefits not affecting it?
Or is that purely for the initial IDR?

I suspect I still would need to sit the blasted "Life in the UK" test, first, before applying.

The local service also appears to want me to show an ESOL certificate, though I have a GCSE in English language and an IB higher pass in English literature!

They've really made the process.... banal! 20 years in the UK is longer than some of my friends who are born here have been alive! :roll:

I really don't want to risk losing what is, to me, a massive amount of money... at the same time, I'm sick of not being able to vote. :?

Thanks.

PS: If anyone has advice or cautions to the contrary of my eligibility, please do pipe up!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 31, 2013 12:18 pm

madamvonmarge wrote:
D4109125 wrote: Once you are settled you won't lose it unless for example you leave the uk for 2 years. It doesn't matter if the card expires. You appear to be eligible for naturalisation. Given your health conditions I suggest you use the Nationality checking service. Get the AN form and your documents including the expired settlement card and get yourself an appointment they'll go through everything with you. Claiming benefits is immaterial. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... locations/

You're sure about the benefits not affecting it?
Or is that purely for the initial IDR?

I suspect I still would need to sit the blasted "Life in the UK" test, first, before applying.

The local service also appears to want me to show an ESOL certificate, though I have a GCSE in English language and an IB higher pass in English literature!

They've really made the process.... banal! 20 years in the UK is longer than some of my friends who are born here have been alive! :roll:

I really don't want to risk losing what is, to me, a massive amount of money... at the same time, I'm sick of not being able to vote. :?

Thanks.

PS: If anyone has advice or cautions to the contrary of my eligibility, please do pipe up!
Once you're settled it's irrelevant if you claim benefit or not. The life in the UK test will be sufficient if you apply before October 2013. Get the book sit the test and get your application put in.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

madamvonmarge
Newly Registered

Post by madamvonmarge » Fri May 31, 2013 12:23 pm

D4109125 wrote:
Once you're settled it's irrelevant if you claim benefit or not. The life in the UK test will be sufficient if you apply before October 2013. Get the book sit the test and get your application put in.
Anyone wanna lend me £950?

What happens in October, btw?

:shock:

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 31, 2013 12:42 pm

madamvonmarge wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Unfortunately I did not win the £81m Euromillions. In October an additional English speaking and listening requirement will come into force.

madamvonmarge
Newly Registered

Post by madamvonmarge » Fri May 31, 2013 1:17 pm

D4109125 wrote:
Unfortunately I did not win the £81m Euromillions. In October an additional English speaking and listening requirement will come into force.
At further cost, indubitably?

I expect the pay off is that as I'm now training to teach ESOL, there's every chance of me recouping that in increased income! :lol:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:07 pm

D4109125 wrote:
madamvonmarge wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

If you lend me £ 1000 this month, I will lend you £950 next month. :lol: