ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 points and fine for using a mobile phone

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

14years

3 points and fine for using a mobile phone

Post by 14years » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:10 pm

i was seen by police holding a mobile phone in my hand and there is a possibility i may get 3 points and fine of 60 pounds. Can any one please tell me if i accept 3 points and fine rather than going to court and contesting the charges how would it affect my application for citizenship?

what is worst...accepting the points now or getting convicted by the court with a possibility of a heavier fine?

Many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Re: 3 points and fine for using a mobile phone

Post by Amber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 pm

14years wrote:i was seen by police holding a mobile phone in my hand and there is a possibility i may get 3 points and fine of 60 pounds. Can any one please tell me if i accept 3 points and fine rather than going to court and contesting the charges how would it affect my application for citizenship?

what is worst...accepting the points now or getting convicted by the court with a possibility of a heavier fine?

Many thanks
See British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs Q5
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:21 pm

14years wrote:i was seen by police holding a mobile phone in my hand and there is a possibility i may get 3 points and fine of 60 pounds. Can any one please tell me if i accept 3 points and fine rather than going to court and contesting the charges how would it affect my application for citizenship?

Many thanks
If you committed the offence then accept 3 points and £60. If you get convicted in court, you will get a much heavier fine.
In theory upto £1000, and you will have to wait at least 3 years before you apply for BC.

14years

Post by 14years » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:

Many thanks
If you committed the offence then accept 3 points and £60. If you get convicted in court, you will get a much heavier fine.
In theory upto £1000, and you will have to wait at least 3 years before you apply for BC.
that's the problem i am facing. I was not using the phone for any purposes what so ever. My phone gets connected to my car as soon as i turn the engine on and i have a holder for the phone. I don't even know why i was holding the phone. I even offered the officers to look at my call log but they refused. when i explained everything to them even they agreed that i was not using it but they have to send my details to their ticketing office because phone was in my hand. i am very tempting to go to court as i don't believe i have committed any crime as of yet. they have to see me using and holding the phone. i have spoken to couple of solicitors and they said that if you go to court with record of your calls for that time then you do have a good case.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:36 pm

D4109125 wrote:

Many thanks

Read the link and then decide what to do.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

kasturi75

Post by kasturi75 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:38 pm

14years,
My wife faced a similar situation. She accepted FP & £60 fine just about 9 months before our BC application. She had no other traffic offences. No issue was met during NCS checking or BC application processing. Nothing declared on BC application. BC application has been processed & certificate issueed less than 4 weeks time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 pm

i would accept 3 points and 60. its nowt.

14years

Post by 14years » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 pm

D4109125 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Many thanks

Thank you very much for that. I did read the faq but if I amnot wrong then I think "using a mobile phone" is different than getting a FPN for speeding. If some one have more information I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Yes an "FPN for using mobile" is not as same as "FPN for speeding" because "FPN for speeding" is given if you are breaking speed limit. If an FPN is given for using a mobile then it is "FPN for using mobile". :roll:

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

14years wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Many thanks

Thank you very much for that. I did read the faq but if I amnot wrong then I think "using a mobile phone" is different than getting a FPN for speeding. If some one have more information I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks
It's still an FPN

englishlife

Post by englishlife » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Many thanks
I would suggest you wait for Naturalisation if you decide to go to court or briefly explain to HO that this case will be deal in court and as a result it will delayed your application. And if you accept fine and points that also has to declare on the form as using mobile phone while driving is not a simple matter. Read AN guidelines briefly.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:52 am

englishlife wrote:

Many thanks
I would suggest you wait for Naturalisation if you decide to go to court or briefly explain to HO that this case will be deal in court and as a result it will delayed your application. And if you accept fine and points that also has to declare on the form as using mobile phone while driving is not a simple matter. Read AN guidelines briefly.
Where does it say that getting a FPN for driving using a mobile - CU80, is anymore serious than any other FPN?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 am

that's the problem i am facing. I was not using the phone for any purposes what so ever. My phone gets connected to my car as soon as i turn the engine on and i have a holder for the phone. I don't even know why i was holding the phone. I even offered the officers to look at my call log but they refused. when i explained everything to them even they agreed that i was not using it but they have to send my details to their ticketing office because phone was in my hand. i am very tempting to go to court as i don't believe i have committed any crime as of yet. they have to see me using and holding the phone. i have spoken to couple of solicitors and they said that if you go to court with record of your calls for that time then you do have a good case.

May I say, that I have been a professional truck driver, and I have had more than my fare share of contact with traffic police, vosa, HSE etc etc. I would say do not be tempted to challenge the FPN in court, you will just end up with a conviction and wait for years before you can apply for naturalisation.

Let me tell you what the law is about using mobile phones while driving. You do not need to actually use the mobile phone to commit this offence. The offence happens just by holding the mobile phone.

Even if the mobile phone is on passenger seat, and put your hand over it, you have committed the offence. The mobile phone does not need to be switched on. If a mobile phone has no battery, no sim, has a broken screen and has no antenna, has no back cover, and you merely hold it in your hand for 1/10th of a second, you have committed the offence.

You do not have a leg to stand in court and argue anything. "By explaining everything" to the police, you have actually admitted to the offence beyond any doubt. A conviction will happen 100% if you go to court.

Do not be tempted by solicitors. All they are interested in is getting your money and sell you their advice.

I have real life experience of all these technicalities about how traffic laws and court procedures including witness statements actually work.

My humble advice again, just accept the FPN otherwise you will regret your decision to go to court. By going to court you will make sure that you are not able to naturalise for a long time to come.

14years

Post by 14years » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 am

My reply maybe off topic and a bit late but I thought I should update this forum after Ayubi's conviction in saying that I have definitely committed an offence. He was 100% sure the offence has been committed when I held a mobile phone in my hand, doesn't matter if the screen was broken or antenna wasn't working or battery was not in the phone or if i follow his sarcastic way of saying things then, I would have committed a crime even if i only had an empty phone cover in my hand.

I wrote a lengthy letter after I received the FPN and spoke to the lady who was dealing with my FPN over the phone couple of times and managed to convince them that holding in itself isn't using a device. Under the law there are certain functions which describe what a mobile device is and if those functions aren't being performed then there isn't much difference between a mobile and any other solid object.

I was glad that they cancelled my ticket, and not just that, the lady informed me that she will speak to her superiors and make sure all the officers in our area are aware how to interpret the law after my explanation. But please be aware different police forces interpret the law differently and there isn't a case law as of yet which can be relied upon.

MattSule

Post by MattSule » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 am

If your ticket has been cancelled then they should revoke the 3point on your licence.

Also, the fact that they've cancelled your ticket is an admission that it was wrongly issued in the first place.

...then why do you still need to go to court?

Most importantly this is not a conviction yet and you don't need to declare it if it's the only issue you've had in the last 12months

14years

Post by 14years » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:04 am

MattSule wrote:If your ticket has been cancelled then they should revoke the 3point on your licence.

Also, the fact that they've cancelled your ticket is an admission that it was wrongly issued in the first place.

...then why do you still need to go to court?
I think you misunderstood, When they send an FPN you have to accept it, I didn't. Instead I communicated with the local ticketing office and managed to convince them to cancel it. Which they did.

I do not have any points on my licence and I didn't go to court as the ticket was cancelled by the issuing authority.

MattSule

Post by MattSule » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:08 am

Your initial question was misleading then.

Most importantly, if your last comment is right then you have no case to answer and nothing to worry about. Make sure you get a letter stating that your ticket has been cancelled - you may need it as evidence!

14years

Post by 14years » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 am

MattSule wrote:Your initial question was misleading then.

Most importantly, if your last comment is right then you have no case to answer and nothing to worry about. Make sure you get a letter stating that your ticket has been cancelled - you may need it as evidence!
My initial question was posted in June this year and the last post was added today. It wasn't misleading.

Just to clear things up I didn't mention it in my application and my application has already been approved.

MattSule

Post by MattSule » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 am

Oh ok.

Congratulations