ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR conditions met before Tier 1 refusal. Appeal Pending.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shogun75

ILR conditions met before Tier 1 refusal. Appeal Pending.

Post by Shogun75 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 am

Hello,
I met ILR under 10 years rules since August 2012. However, I wasn't aware of the 28 days rules and found Tier1 more straight forward. Therefore, I applied for Tier1-General Extensions in March2013 which was refused in April2013 for "inappropriate" combination of documents. I'm now appealing against the refusal but I'm aware that Judges will not consider "post-decision" evidence even for event true at the time of refusal.

Will it be stupid to withdraw the appeal and make fresh application for ILR? My previous Tier 1-General leave expired in April 2013, i.e. more than 28 days ago. Alternatively, can I send ILR in anyway while the appeal is pending?

Amber
Mood:

Re: ILR conditions met before Tier 1 refusal. Appeal Pending

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 am

Shogun75 wrote:Hello,
I met ILR under 10 years rules since August 2012. However, I wasn't aware of the 28 days rules and found Tier1 more straight forward. Therefore, I applied for Tier1-General Extensions in March2013 which was refused in April2013 for "inappropriate" combination of documents. I'm now appealing against the refusal but I'm aware that Judges will not consider "post-decision" evidence even for event true at the time of refusal.

Will it be stupid to withdraw the appeal and make fresh application for ILR? My previous Tier 1-General leave expired in April 2013, i.e. more than 28 days ago. Alternatively, can I send ILR in anyway while the appeal is pending?
If you withdraw your appeal you'll have no legal stay! You should have just applied for ilr if you satisfied the rules. Did you seek legal advice before doing this?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Shogun75

Post by Shogun75 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello,

I didn't get legal advices before applying for the Tier1 extension, because I thought by submitting EXACTLY the same document as the original Tier1 general, the same decision will follow for the extension. Unfortunately, it appears that different caseworkers got different opinions about which combination of documents is "appropriate" for "previous earnings". This is extremely subjective. I submitted Payslips & Dividends Vouchers stamped and signed by the company as primary evidence and an accountant letter as secondary evidence. Personal statements were not submitted because some of the profit was retained and therefore Net Dividend will not be corroborated. The company is established for more than 4 years with an annual return of around £150k all PAYE, National Insurance Contribution, VAT and Corporation Tax are up to date with the HMRC.

I'm being assisted by professional solicitors, but again it helps to look around and learn from others experience.

Is there any one who has experienced a similar situation? What was the outcome?

zen135

Post by zen135 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 am

I would advise you to appeal this refusal in the same way as you did for your initial Tier 1 application but also add an additional ground (that you also qualify for ILR under the 10 year Long Residence rules) to be considered at appeal as a further backup.

If you send an ILR application under the Long Residence rules now while you have an outstanding appeal, it would be voided and the fees refunded but it might be beneficial in your case as this application would be linked to your current appeal and sent to the presenting officers unit dealing with your appeal to be taken into consideration. See pg.25 of the guidance below for detailed information:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Also, remember that you can apply for a fresh ILR application under the Long Residence rules within 28 days of the expiry of your 3C/3D leave after a decision has been made on your current appeal.

Shogun75

Post by Shogun75 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:51 pm

zen135 wrote:I would advise you to appeal this refusal in the same way as you did for your initial Tier 1 application but also add an additional ground (that you also qualify for ILR under the 10 year Long Residence rules) to be considered at appeal as a further backup.

If you send an ILR application under the Long Residence rules now while you have an outstanding appeal, it would be voided and the fees refunded but it might be beneficial in your case as this application would be linked to your current appeal and sent to the presenting officers unit dealing with your appeal to be taken into consideration. See pg.25 of the guidance below for detailed information:

Also, remember that you can apply for a fresh ILR application under the Long Residence rules within 28 days of the expiry of your 3C/3D leave after a decision has been made on your current appeal.
Thanks a lot Zen135 :). I've just sent a completed SET(LR) form to the UKBA with all the original P60's for the Tax Years 2002-2003 to 2012-2013 as well as Company official documents and UK-Born Birth Certificate.
One more thing, we've submitted additional documents, e.g. Business Bank Statements and Invoice , for the appeal. These were not asked so not submitted before the UKBA refusal but they relate to circumstances in-force before the decision. Could those evidence be considered by the Judge under Section 19 or will they be inadmissible? Thanks a lot :) :)

zen135

Post by zen135 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:15 am

Under section 19, you maybe allowed to use fresh evidence in an appeal only if the UKBA have alleged that a document that you had submitted with your application was either false or invalid. Based on that, I would say that the new evidence that you have submitted now will be inadmissible especially as the UKBA had applied their 'evidential flexibility' policy in your case and asked for those documents earlier. There is a possibility though that the judge might interpret the rules differently in your case and allow the new evidence but don't get your hopes up!

You will basically need to argue your case on the fact that you had submitted the correct set of documents to corroborate your earnings as per the requirements.

Also, don't forget to change the grounds of your appeal to include your eligibility for ILR under Long Residence because if the appeal is allowed on that ground, you might get ILR directly instead of just a Tier 1 extension.

Shogun75

Post by Shogun75 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:52 pm

zen135 wrote:I would advise you to appeal this refusal in the same way as you did for your initial Tier 1 application but also add an additional ground (that you also qualify for ILR under the 10 year Long Residence rules) to be considered at appeal as a further backup.

Hello,

I think your advices are so relevant...
I just want to ask you just few more questions. I applied for ILR under the Long Residence with original P60's dating back to 2002-2003 as well as Life In the UK test certificate as supporting docs. I did explain that I've got an appeal pending and that was the reason why my passports (expired+current) were not included in the application pack. I was expecting the application to be voided and a copy of the application form transferred to the UKBA Presenting Officer (POU) as additional grounds for appeal and the fees refunded accordingly. However, 3 weeks after the application, I was requested to resubmit biometrics which I did. That means I've currently got 2 set of biometrics with the UKBA. Now, more than 1 month down the line the application has not been voided yet and the application fees not been refunded, contrary to the published process. I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on with the UKBA. Any ideas? I qualified for ILR in Sep2012, i.e. well before the Tier 1 application was submitted. Unfortunately, I didn't receive the right advice at the time...

Shogun75

Post by Shogun75 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:39 am

Shogun75 wrote:

Hello,

I think your advices are so relevant...
I just want to ask you just few more questions. I applied for ILR under the Long Residence with original P60's dating back to 2002-2003 as well as Life In the UK test certificate as supporting docs. I did explain that I've got an appeal pending and that was the reason why my passports (expired+current) were not included in the application pack. I was expecting the application to be voided and a copy of the application form transferred to the UKBA Presenting Officer (POU) as additional grounds for appeal and the fees refunded accordingly. However, 3 weeks after the application, I was requested to resubmit biometrics which I did. That means I've currently got 2 set of biometrics with the UKBA. Now, more than 1 month down the line the application has not been voided yet and the application fees not been refunded, contrary to the published process. I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on with the UKBA. Any ideas? I qualified for ILR in Sep2012, i.e. well before the Tier 1 application was submitted. Unfortunately, I didn't receive the right advice at the time...
Hello,

Up till now, I neither received any ILR (LR) application fees refund nor an ICD 3207 telling me that they've merged both applications.

I did receive a fax from UKBA explaining that the Section 47 - Removal Directions initially issued were "unlawful" and therefore "withdrawn".

The Grounds of Appeal were based on the fact that the UKBA failed to apply "evidential flexibility" and didn't request Business Bank statements, Managements Accounts and Invoices whilst knowing that profit were retained into the business, i.e. Gross dividend declared, tax paid on them but Net dividend retained in Business Bank Account. I hold 100% of shares and therefore qualified for both "employed" and "self-employed".

Earlier this month, I attended the Appeal Hearing armed with the originals of 300 pages of financial statements, tax documents, Commercial Insurance Policies (Professional Indemnity, Employer's & Public Liability) as well as Companies House document and the UKBA own previous decisions which shows the inconsistencies in the treatment of my applications.

It should be noted that I submitted all of these 2 years ago, in the Initial "Tier 1 - G" but the UKBA overlooked the whole lot and refused the application because the Accountant letter was showing Gross Salaries instead of Gross + Net. I believe, this was a harsh but correct decision 2 years ago. The decision was eventually overturned on appeal after submitting the correct "format" of accountant letter (and "wasting" almost £2,000 worth of Legal expenses).

The UKBA representative did turn up at the Appeal Hearing but unfortunately requested an adjournment to "review their decision because they hadn't had time to consult the files in the appeal bundle". They did not mention anything about ILR (LR) or whether they will allow the variation of leave.

I don't want to sound cynical but I just have the impression that it's yet another attempt to waste time and depress me by incurring additional expenses and reduce my ability to sign new contracts, i.e. no passport to show prospective clients in order to demonstrate eligibility to work in UK.

Has anyone experienced similar situation? What was the outcome?

rehan01
Diamond Member

Post by rehan01 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:25 am

zen135 wrote:

Hi Zen,

I am in same boat, Tier 1 Entrepreneur application submitted in January 2013 ... Attended interview in June 2013 ... Refused in June 2013 ... Appeal submitted on 8th July 2013 (still waiting for hearing date) but in between September 2013 I completed 10 years long term residency and I totally agree with your above explanation that I cannot apply for LR while appeal is pending........................... but as you mention one can apply for LR application with in 28 days of the expiry of your section 3C/3D leave after the decision has been made on your current appeal?

(Could you please provide source of this information as I cannot find it anywhere did try though)

For Example

God forbidden if my Tier 1 appeal refused on 2nd February 2014 I will have 28 days from that day to submit new application either in same category or LR??

plz share your thoughts

kind regards

esmsi

Post by esmsi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am

Same situation and what my friend do---

One of my friend Discretionary leave visa was refused.Then he appeals . Now he applied 10 years rule . After receiving acknowledgement letter, he send fax to withdraw the appeal.When biometric come ,he will inform home office.

Shogun75

Post by Shogun75 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am

Rehan01

My understanding is that it's now allowed to "overstay slightly" on an existing visa but stricly less than 28 days. The continuous 10-yrs "Long Residence" is not considered as being broken for any number of period of application made less than 28 days after the expiration of current leave which includes time waiting for decision on application i.e. Section 3C/3D and Appeal Decisisons. Therefore in your case, provided that you made the original application after July 2012 and less than 28 days after expiration, you have plenty of time to apply for ILR(LR) immediately even when your appeal is disallowed. Previously, I know many people who had their ILR(LR) refused because of 2 or 3 applications made 1 day after the expiration of their current leave. They did manage to get their stay under the 14-years ILR which has now been removed. More clarifications are on Page 11 in the document below:
esmsi,
I'm afraid I think it was a mistake to send a letter to UKBA to withdraw current appeal because if there was no appeal pending then your friend didn't have valid leave whilst applying for the 10-yrs ILR(LR) unless it was made within the 28 days period after the expiration of the previous leave. Your friend managed to "survive" thanks to the appeal, you shouldn't withdraw it. I suggest you immediately get advice from professional solicitors, revoke the letter you sent to witdrwaw the appeal if it's not to late, and allow the UKBA to sort out their own administrative mess.

esmsi

Post by esmsi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Same situation and what my friend do---

One of my friend was PSW. Then he applied Discretionary leave visa was refused.Then he appeals . Now he applied 10 years rule . After receiving acknowledgement letter of 10 years rule, he send fax to withdraw the appeal.When biometric come ,he will inform home office.

Shogun75

Post by Shogun75 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:48 pm

esmsi wrote:Same situation and what my friend do---

One of my friend was PSW. Then he applied Discretionary leave visa was refused.Then he appeals . Now he applied 10 years rule . After receiving acknowledgement letter of 10 years rule, he send fax to withdraw the appeal.When biometric come ,he will inform home office.
Do you mean you've already received the Biometric Residence Permit?
Unfortunately, the acknowledgement letter and biometrics collection just mean that the application has been received by the UKBA as "valid". It doesn't mean it will be granted or indeed processed in the first place. It could well be refused because your friend broke the continuous residence requirement, during the period between the expiration of the last leave and the day he submtted the ILR(LR), which will happen IF he withdraws the Appeal. You righly mentioned "when biometric come, he will inform home office". The question is, how can you be so sure that the biometric will ever come? I suggest you speak to professional solicitors (I'm sure there are few of them on this forum) or call the Home Office to inquiry and build you own understanding on your friend specific case? all the best!

esmsi

Post by esmsi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 am

What my friend do
1)was PSW .

2)applied Discretionary leave was refused.
3) he appeals was pending
4) Now he applied 10 years rule
5)After receiving acknowledgement letter of 10 years rule, he send fax to withdraw the appeal.
6)When biometric invitation for post office come ,he will inform home office.

Also read this for further information
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/immigration ... -wife.html

Hardikjshah83
inactive
India

same situation - HELP please.

Post by Hardikjshah83 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi, I am in almost same boat.

My 10 years finishing in Jan/feb 14. however my Tier 1 Extension was refused in August for which i have made in time appeal and got the hearing in Aug'14 -YES!! 8/9 months after.

going for appeal via solicitor and he also did suggested regardless of the outcome of appeal while I am eligible for LR 10 years we will submit the fresh application for ILR and submit it as an additional groud in our appeal.

i am so confused by reading different blogs.. Am i allowed to apply for ILR in JAN while my appeal is due hearing in August?

Also i have submitted my original Degree & passports which are with HO in my Tier 1 Extension, I havent got any copy of Degree(stupid me!!) but i need degree to prove my eligibility for English language now... could i simply write letter in my application and advise HO to refer to my previous application where they have my Degree & Passport.

Thanks for your help guys.

FaisalKhan100

What is your opnion....

Post by FaisalKhan100 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Dear Friend,
I am on tier 4 student visa for the last 9 years and my 10 years long residency period will complete in September 2014 but unfortunately my visa is rejected due to a new rule 5 years graduate cap, now I am going in appeal against the decision, can you please tell me what should I do to extend my appeal time to complete my 10 years residency period, Waiting your kind reply,
Ok Bye bye

Hardikjshah83
inactive
India

Re: What is your opnion....

Post by Hardikjshah83 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 am

FaisalKhan100 wrote:Dear Friend,
I am on tier 4 student visa for the last 9 years and my 10 years long residency period will complete in September 2014 but unfortunately my visa is rejected due to a new rule 5 years graduate cap, now I am going in appeal against the decision, can you please tell me what should I do to extend my appeal time to complete my 10 years residency period, Waiting your kind reply,
Ok Bye bye
Hi Faisal responded to your PM. Please see.

I think you will get the hearing in Dec next year which will buy you enough time for ILR.

Have u done life in UK etc?

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:02 am

Faisal

Have you been given a hearing date? The best thing is to prolong the hearing date so you can reach your 10 year period and once you do, vary the grounds of appeal on the basis of 10 years ILR.

Make sure you do your LIUK test.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Re:

Post by lynxukauq » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 am

esmsi wrote:What my friend do
1)was PSW .

2)applied Discretionary leave was refused.
3) he appeals was pending
4) Now he applied 10 years rule
5)After receiving acknowledgement letter of 10 years rule, he send fax to withdraw the appeal.
6)When biometric invitation for post office come ,he will inform home office.

Also read this for further information
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/immigration ... -wife.html
Under sections 3C and 3D, it is not possible to submit a new application while an appeal is outstanding. However, the
applicant can submit further grounds to be considered at appeal. Page 25 on Time awaiting a decision on an application or appeal

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:58 am

I feel a need to step in here to point out that the advice given by the 'solicitor' in the 'just answer' link was incorrect. The applicant's dep could not extend as PBS deps, they could only extend under Part 8 or Annex FM as the main applicant was granted ILR under long residence. The incorrect advice could be very costly and potentially leave the applicants without appeal rights and facing removal.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

FaisalKhan100

Post by FaisalKhan100 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:40 am

Thank you friends .....
I have to pay my court fee next week then I will get the court hearing date..
Regards

Cakebiscuit

Post by Cakebiscuit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi,
What will you do if you are given an appeal date before your 10yrs legal stay clocks. Any plan B ?

FaisalKhan100

Post by FaisalKhan100 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

I dont know what to do......only praying for late date....if you have any idea what should I do please let me know..thank you
Waiting ur reply