ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What can UKBA officials ask you if you already have ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

deleted_user

What can UKBA officials ask you if you already have ILR?

Post by deleted_user » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

I was reading account of this lady, and to me it seems that the border agency official is clearly crossing the line here since she is on ILR and normally resident in the UK.

So my question is legally what questions are UKBA staff allowed to ask me at the airport? and what happens if I decided I am being harassed unnecessarily and choose not to answer them? Where do I stand, assuming I have a valid ILR and passport, reside normally in the UK, and am willing to give my biometrics at the airport.

Since I have ILR denying me entry would effect my human rights?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 pm

The UKBA have the right to question all passengers.

newbie_2013

Post by newbie_2013 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm

yes UKBA has the right to question everyone.

I think this is just an exceptional case!!! the immgration officer might have mistook an ILR resident as a visitor maybe??? Or may be it's his/her first day on duty and was very enthusiastic?? could be any reason.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:11 pm

They can ask though, if it appears to be unreasonable you can complain. It sounds to me like the officer in the link was new.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:26 pm

They can and have a right to ask all these questions, if they have any doubts. I don't think it should be an issue to answer these questions.

wangxiaosara
Newly Registered

Post by wangxiaosara » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:06 pm

If you have left the country for more than 2 years and don't have a strong connection with the country, you will be questioned at the airport. You may have to apply an entry clearance before travel.

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 am

wangxiaosara wrote:If you have left the country for more than 2 years and don't have a strong connection with the country, you will be questioned at the airport. You may have to apply an entry clearance before travel.
Thanks, but this question does not relate to that case.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:36 am

Soon after my husband was granted ILR he was questioned by Border staff on re-entry after a short trip to his home country. They asked basic questions, i.e home/work address and kept him waiting for around 20 minutes while they checked their records. In the same way, Customs and Excise can hold and question anyone they choose.

fatimahh
Member of Standing
Mood:
Guinea

Post by fatimahh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 am

28 Question :o , that a bit excessive, loool and question 7-8-9-11 and 18 what on earth!!! Are we suppose to remember the date of every single travel we make, and how dare they ask question 18 :twisted: :twisted:
GOD BLESS!!!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 am

Yes that's why if something seems unreasonable you can complain. When my husband came back into the UK with his ILR BRP he was not questioned excessively, they just said 'you are married to a British woman?' he said yes and went through.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm

As per this document, ECO cannot revoke ILR. So I can be stubborn in answering them?

ECO can revoke visit visas, including long term visit visas.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

If you want to be held up even longer...go ahead. :roll:

TheGreenTea

Post by TheGreenTea » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 am

There have been a lot of sham marriages, and UKBA is just trying to be vigilant. I don't find anything weird with those questions.

I have been asked couple of times to translate questions from officers to the travelers, because they don't speak English and get stressed out. And they are standard boring qns: "why did you come here?" "Why are you traveling with your grandchild?" "how long has your daughter/son been living in the UK?" "do you often visit them?" etc etc
The more defensive you get, the more questions they start asking.

I personally think a smile goes a long way, I have never been asked anything apart from "did you have a good trip?" and "do you live in London?". Somebody asked me once if I enjoyed my course at Uni and said their child has applied to that Uni. That's it really...

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 am

TheGreenTea wrote:There have been a lot of sham marriages, and UKBA is just trying to be vigilant. I don't find anything weird with those questions.

I have been asked couple of times to translate questions from officers to the travelers, because they don't speak English and get stressed out. And they are standard boring qns: "why did you come here?" "Why are you traveling with your grandchild?" "how long has your daughter/son been living in the UK?" "do you often visit them?" etc etc
The more defensive you get, the more questions they start asking.

I personally think a smile goes a long way, I have never been asked anything apart from "did you have a good trip?" and "do you live in London?". Somebody asked me once if I enjoyed my course at Uni and said their child has applied to that Uni. That's it really...
I flew back into the UK recently and yes they still ask some weird questions although you have ILR (no longer under immigration control)

After doing my biometrics the immigration officer asked, "Where did you get the BRP card from? Huh I thought where else can you get a BRP card with 30plus seals and watermarks surely from your buddies at the home office??? I smiled as I thought this is surely some form of a joke but answered him none the less...the guy then smiled and said have a good day. I believe the random questions is to ensure you didn't get ILR by fraudulent means is my only conclusion.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |