ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

oilman
Newly Registered

Certificate of Entitlement for Right of Abode

Post by oilman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Dear beloved forum members,

I am currently quite confused about the visa situation for my baby. My baby is born in the UK before wife obtained ILR (10 year route), so baby is not automatically British. However, she is now entitled to be British via the MN(1) form since my wife is now settled. FYI, I am under the FLR(M) visa.

We have already applied for Malaysian passport for the baby but Malaysia does not allow dual citizenship. We would like our baby the right to choose her nationality when she turns 18 years old. I've read that a Certificate of Entitlement (CoE) for Right of Abode(ROA) is required. Going to the UKBA site, it says that to qualify you'll need to be a British citizen.

Does this mean we'll have to apply for the baby to be British via the MN(1) form, then apply for the CoE for ROA?

Thank you all for your replies.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Yes. You may wish to apply for your child's settlement (ilr/ile) when eligible otherwise travel will be near on impossible (entry into UK).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.