ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa national travelling with CoA and passport only

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

evil_iri
Newly Registered

Visa national travelling with CoA and passport only

Post by evil_iri » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 am

I am Ukrainian, applied for EEA2 residence card as a married spouse of a German national. At the moment of application I was on Tier 2 but I am quitting my job end of August. I requested my passport and Tier-2 card back to be able to travel and I have already received the Cerificate of Application (CoA). I need to travel in September (I dont know anyone in the modern world who can just sit in UK for 6 months and be ok with it) but my tier-2 visa wont be valid anymore. Hence the question, in your experience, will I be able to come back to UK with my passport, CoA and marriage certificate ONLY?

I will show my Tier-2 card to board the plane (airlines wont know it is expired) but once I get to the border, will they let me in?

I called UKBA and they told me it is at the discretion of the officer but there is no reason why they should not. What is your experience??

Thanks guys!!

captcha
Newly Registered

Re: Visa national travelling with CoA and passport only

Post by captcha » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi, I'm a non-visa national, but just in case my experience is useful to you:
evil_iri wrote:I will show my Tier-2 card to board the plane (airlines wont know it is expired)
I've done this some times. Rather than wasting time explaining that I don't need a visa I just show the airlines my tier-2 which I no longer use.

I never had problems travelling with my COA. I entered the UK 4 times while I was waiting for my RC, through Heathrow, Liverpool and Manchester. The first time (Heathrow) I was with my EU wife, they made us wait for a little while while they checked it, and then issued a Code 1a. Some of the other times I was alone, they just looked at the previous Code 1a stamps and issued a new one. The last time I even forgot my COA back at home (in the UK), so I got a Code 1a stamp by showing just my passport and smile (and wife :)).

Again, I'm non-visa so not sure if it would be the same for you.

And although I never needed to use it, every single time I was carrying enough documentation to prove that I'm married to an EU citizen and that she is exercising treaty rights, as well as printouts of the relevant regulations.

evil_iri
Newly Registered

Post by evil_iri » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks captcha. I hope it is similar for visa nationals because I plan to travel all the time..!!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't know what a tier 2 card looks like and whether it has an expiry date? Is it perhaps a biometric residence permit?

To answer your question, if you get to a border, you can enter under article 5.4 of directive 2004/38/ec.

evil_iri
Newly Registered

Post by evil_iri » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 am

EUsmileWEallsmile, thank you!!

Tier 2 card is biometric residence permit, but the expiry date on mine is 2015. it will stop being valid though because I will no longer be working for the company that sponsored me.