ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to inform anyone that I am British?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mkmk
Newly Registered

Do I need to inform anyone that I am British?

Post by mkmk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:51 am

I have just become British :D Thanks to the forum!

Now do I need to inform the tax office, bank,employer or anyone else that I am British? Or it doesn't matter?

cricinfo

Re: Do I need to inform anyone that I am British?

Post by cricinfo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 am

mkmk wrote:I have just become British :D Thanks to the forum!

Now do I need to inform the tax office, bank,employer or anyone else that I am British? Or it doesn't matter?
No one. You don't need to inform anyone but if you are not registered for electoral then by law yo need to do that as soon as possible.

mkmk
Newly Registered

Post by mkmk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:25 am

Thank you for the quick reply. They gave us a form to complete before the ceremony and they explained that it is for registration on the electoral roll so this is done.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:43 am

Congratulations, you can inform HR at work and they can change your Nationality and immigration status.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

skyiswide

Re: Do I need to inform anyone that I am British?

Post by skyiswide » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:43 am

mkmk wrote:I have just become British :D Thanks to the forum!

It is better to inform tax office and employer and if your existing nationality doesn't allow dual nationality then it is best to inform everyone but still completely optional.

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 am

I'd also inform any dearly beloved persons you meet along the way, see the fire burn in their eyes :lol: I would also avoid using the English language, more fun :twisted:

mkmk
Newly Registered

Post by mkmk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 am

Thanks guys. I tried to find an online form so that I let HMRC know about my changed circumstances but I could see only a form regarding a change of address,marriage etc. so I think they are really not interested in that. I will ask the finance manager at work..
My country allows dual nationality and I know that I have to let them know within 60 days only when I get another passport.Otherwise there is a penalty.

mkmk
Newly Registered

Post by mkmk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:55 am

dimension7 wrote:I'd also inform any dearly beloved persons you meet along the way, see the fire burn in their eyes :lol: I would also avoid using the English language, more fun :twisted:
I think most of the people here are not interested whether you are a foreigner or British they are mostly interested in your wallet and whether they can take advantage of you. :)
Well I live in London and maybe it is not exactly like the rest of the country...
Last edited by mkmk on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

VR

Call up their help line

Post by VR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:31 am

Dear Mkmk,

I am also in the same boat. I am about to move continents. I plan to call them up and let them know so that the Tax credit for the partial year will be credited.

I hope you have enough time before your actual move to take care of this. Because they normally send a cheque to your UK address. If you have made alternate arrangements for someone to collect and act on your mail, then you should be fine. For 5 months (I presume you are moving after Sep) reduce months if earlier. It could be a good amount so take care of this.

Regarding the banks they will change your address to your overseas address. Do not close your bank accounts. It will be damn difficult to reopen current accounts and all the credit history built up will be destroyed.

Organize online banking and advise them of change of address. You can continue to operate your account seamlessly whilst away and on your return.

Lastly there is a form in Royal Mail website. You can redirect all your mail to another local address . Again you will do well to give them sufficient notice.

Cheers
VR