ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Skilled Independent (subclass 189) - various questions

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Manson22
Newly Registered

Skilled Independent (subclass 189) - various questions

Post by Manson22 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm intending to apply for a Skilled Independent visa but I'm confused about a few bits and pieces, and looking for some guidance on what to expect.

I'm a British citizen and an actuary with 7 years' experience.

1) I've submitted an application for a skills assessment to Vetassess. So far I've received two emails, one confirming receipt of my documents (on 16th June) and another saying my application status is "documents received" (on 1st July). It's 8th August now. Is this normal? How long is the usual wait time?

2) I'm leaving the UK in mid-September to go travelling. I was hoping to have my visa by early next year to allow me to finish my travels in Australia and get started. Is this realistic?

3) If it's not realistic, would I be able to apply for a Working Holiday visa so I can look for work while I'm waiting for the permanent visa? Or would that get me into trouble?

4) If I don't get a chance to submit the visa application before I go away, will I be able to submit it from abroad? I'll be in Canada for a few months. Obviously I can get certified copies of my documents done ahead of time. What about the health and character requirements?

I'd be grateful for any help and advice you have.

Regards,

S

raviryan
Newly Registered

Post by raviryan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:18 am

hey Manson22, I am also applying for the subclass 189 and have about 5 years of some core and some nearly actuarial experience, although I am only a part qualified actuary yet ( CT series).

I was wondering if you could tell me if you are doing your application process yourself or taking help from any agency or immigration consultancy.

And what are the documents that need to be submitted to the Vetassess.

Also wondering do I need to take the membership of Australian Institute of Actuaries before I go for the skills assessment with Vetassess.

I am based in London, if you did like to connect or meet.

Manson22
Newly Registered

Post by Manson22 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi raviryan

[quote="raviryan"]
I was wondering if you could tell me if you are doing your application process yourself or taking help from any agency or immigration consultancy.[/quote]

I'm doing it myself. So far anyway. I would hope that if I was using an agency I wouldn't have so many questions!

[quote="raviryan"]And what are the documents that need to be submitted to the Vetassess.

Also wondering do I need to take the membership of Australian Institute of Actuaries before I go for the skills assessment with Vetassess.[/quote]

There's a full list on the vetassess website but I submitted:
- certified copy of passport
- certified copies of my degree and my university transcripts
- certified copy of my certificate from the Faculty of Actuaries
- certified copies of my P60 certificates since I started work, although I think I only needed the last 3 years really.
- a letter from my employer describing each position I've held, the main duties involved and my salary
- a statutory declaration saying I wasn't in Australia at the time of applying (which just meant i didn't have to pay tax on the application fee).

Having said all that, I have not yet had a positive response from Vetassess so I don't know if I've done everything correctly. I'd have hoped they would contact me if something was incomplete.

I suggest you apply as soon as you can because as I've experienced it takes some time to process.

[quote="raviryan"]I am based in London, if you did like to connect or meet.[/quote]

I'm in Edinburgh, thanks though.

raviryan
Newly Registered

Post by raviryan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks Manson, The docs submitted by you look comprehensive.

When you say certified copies, do you mean notarised documents (stamped signed by a Govt Gazetted officer or Notary Public) or certified by an Actuary (since they are mostly actuarial qualifications, transcripts)

I am in the process of getting all the documents collated, by early next week I should also have submitted to VETASSESS.

Did you receive any replies from VETASSESS yet?

I am using an agent to get them submitted.

Manson22
Newly Registered

Post by Manson22 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 pm

[quote="raviryan"]
When you say certified copies, do you mean notarised documents (stamped signed by a Govt Gazetted officer or Notary Public) or certified by an Actuary (since they are mostly actuarial qualifications, transcripts)[/quote]

I went to a Notary Public for every document except for my university transcripts which were helpfully certified by the Registry office at my university, and the letter of service from my employer which was an original anyway. The notary also witnessed my statutory declaration.

Using the notary was easy, painless and inexpensive - I googled "notary public edinburgh" and phoned the first number.

[quote="raviryan"]Did you receive any replies from VETASSESS yet?[/quote]

Yes! Just yesterday in fact I finally had an email saying my application was complete - I went on to the Vetassess website and it said the outcome was positive. So, sounds like no news from Vetassess for two months is the norm!

I went straight ahead and submitted an expression of interest on SkillSelect with the ref number from vetassess. The next invitation round is scheduled for 02/09/2013 - however an email came in this morning (01/09/2013) saying I'd received an invitation to apply.

Getting back to the original post, I'm still wondering about questions 2 and 3. It does look like I'll be able to submit the application before leaving (provided the letter from Vetassess turns up in good time).

indianuk

Need help around Visa 189

Post by indianuk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 am

Manson22 wrote:
raviryan wrote: When you say certified copies, do you mean notarised documents (stamped signed by a Govt Gazetted officer or Notary Public) or certified by an Actuary (since they are mostly actuarial qualifications, transcripts)
I went to a Notary Public for every document except for my university transcripts which were helpfully certified by the Registry office at my university, and the letter of service from my employer which was an original anyway. The notary also witnessed my statutory declaration.

Using the notary was easy, painless and inexpensive - I googled "notary public edinburgh" and phoned the first number.
raviryan wrote:Did you receive any replies from VETASSESS yet?
Yes! Just yesterday in fact I finally had an email saying my application was complete - I went on to the Vetassess website and it said the outcome was positive. So, sounds like no news from Vetassess for two months is the norm!

I went straight ahead and submitted an expression of interest on SkillSelect with the ref number from vetassess. The next invitation round is scheduled for 02/09/2013 - however an email came in this morning (01/09/2013) saying I'd received an invitation to apply.

Getting back to the original post, I'm still wondering about questions 2 and 3. It does look like I'll be able to submit the application before leaving (provided the letter from Vetassess turns up in good time).
Hi all,
i am planning to start the process and started to collect some information around the whole process.
Regarding work experience - i have around 10 years of work experience working in UK as IT Consultant, so i have to take letter from all my previous employers.
My current employment is as a Contractor for last 3 years.
please suggest.