ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Raj422

Travelling on Indian Passport

Post by Raj422 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi,

I got my naturalisation certificate on 20th June followed by British Passport.

Now I am flying to India on Tuesday for couple of week.

I was advised in this forum that I had 3 months grace period to travel on Indian Passport.

My questions are

1. Once I go through the immigration( going out ) in UK, should I produce Indian Passport and Biometric.

2. Which nationality I should put in the landing card in India?

3. I'll show India passport at Indian Immigration?

4. Once I come back which passport I should show here at Heathrow.

Regards

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:20 pm

1, 2, 3 - Travel as you had done in the past with your Indian passport as an Indian citizen. Until you are airborne enroute to London (on your way back), try to forget you are British and hold a British passport.

4. British passport and join the British/EU queue.

Raj422

Post by Raj422 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Thank you very much..Really appreciate..

This forum...help before British Passport and After British Passport....

Thanks again

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi,

I came back just today from India and was in the same situation as you. I used the Indian passport and Residence permit when flying out. Used Indian passport at Mumbai Immigration. On way back used Indian passport again at Immigration in Ahmedabad. When I arrived at Heathrow, I used my British Passport and the new self checkout system. Had no problems. I wrote Indian in the landing card when arriving in India. On way back if you have a BP then you dont need to fill a landing card anyway.

UKILR2013
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling on Indian Passport

Post by UKILR2013 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 am

Hi,

My son's dependent visa on Indian PP has been expired.

He holds British PP now. As there no exit visa he cannot use Indian PP when returning. So could someone advise what would be the option to travel to India on his Indian PP by utilizing the 3 months grace period time.

We have to travel India asap.

Thanks in advance.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:47 pm

As your son's dependent visa has expired, and you need to travel asap, the preferred option would be to apply for Indian tourist or entry visa.

UKILR2013
Newly Registered

Post by UKILR2013 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks ban.s for clarifying.

iramkk

Post by iramkk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:20 am

Hi ban.s

I am in a similar situation. I am within my grace period of 3 months to use Indian passport and I am in India now (showed Indian passport to indian immigration officials). I will be travelling back to UK in two days' time.

1. I will be showing my Indian passport to Indian immigration officials while going back.

2. Since my transit (2 hours) is in Dubai, what passport do I need to show to the British officials who check passport at the boarding area at Dubai airport? Indian or British?

3. When I reach Heathow, I will use the British passport at the EU/British queue. What if they ask me about exit stamp on my British passport from India?

Please advise

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:42 am

iramkk wrote:Hi ban.s

I am in a similar situation. I am within my grace period of 3 months to use Indian passport and I am in India now (showed Indian passport to indian immigration officials). I will be travelling back to UK in two days' time.

1. I will be showing my Indian passport to Indian immigration officials while going back.

2. Since my transit (2 hours) is in Dubai, what passport do I need to show to the British officials who check passport at the boarding area at Dubai airport? Indian or British?

3. When I reach Heathow, I will use the British passport at the EU/British queue. What if they ask me about exit stamp on my British passport from India?

Please advise
Did you manage to get your Dubai visa on time or cancelled your trip?

I presume you are carrying ILR BRP with you...hence

1. Indian passport and BRP
2. Indian passport and BRP
3. BP and EU/UK Queue. I don't think exit stamp on BP will be any issue. If asked you can state you travelled with indian passport availing the 3 months grace period.

iramkk

Post by iramkk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:17 am

Thank you ban.s

Will follow your suggestions.

Re Dubai visa, I did get it at the last minute, after intervention by Emirates Ticketing Manager in London and did not have any problems at Dubai or in India.

Will update you how it goes when I reach London.

Thanks.

iramkk

Post by iramkk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:13 pm

ban.s wrote:
iramkk wrote:Hi ban.s

Please advise
Did you manage to get your Dubai visa on time or cancelled your trip?

I presume you are carrying ILR BRP with you...hence

1. Indian passport and BRP
2. Indian passport and BRP
3. BP and EU/UK Queue. I don't think exit stamp on BP will be any issue. If asked you can state you travelled with indian passport availing the 3 months grace period.
Hi ban.s

Just to let you know, I did follow the instructions provided by you and it was a cakewalk. Did use the ePassport section at London. Thanks for your help.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad you found the info helpful.

yvrtravel
Newly Registered

Post by yvrtravel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:11 am

I just became a Canadian citizen and got my passport. I have a further question w.r.t the 3 month grace period travel. I understand that you can enter India on an Indian passport. Now when you exit India the Airline people ask for your Canadian VISA or PR card. I don't have any of those since I became a citizen. I will have to show my canadian passport at the counter. Wouldn't that also mean then that going through the Indian immigration at the exit I will have to show the Canadian passport as well ? Will this not lead to any problems ? Also should I carry my citizenship certificate since that is what is used for calculating the grace period. I would rather not since it is a precious document. Please clarify anyone ?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:59 am

You'll face trouble at immigration while exiting India. Obtain Canadian passport, apply for indian visa/OCI/PIO and then travel.

Also see Indian passport seized

yvrtravel
Newly Registered

Post by yvrtravel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for the information !

yvrtravel
Newly Registered

Post by yvrtravel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Also as an aside I put forth the same query to the Vancouver consulate. Their website says that you have three month grace period. Here is what they had to say:
Dear Applicant,

Since you have got the Canadian Passport, you must apply for appropriate
visa and travel on the Canadian passport.
You should also complete the requirements for surrender of Indian
Passport, and apply.

Regards

Consul (Passport/ OCI)
Consulate General of India
Vancouver
indiacons@telus.net

-----Original Message-----
Sent: January-24-14 11:16 AM
To: indiacons@telus.net
Subject: Clarification regarding travel on Indian Passport during the grace
period.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I recently became a Canadian citizen and acquired a Canadian passport (about
10 days ago). I might have some urgent travel to India coming up. I have
read at the consulate website that one can travel to India on their Indian
Passport during the three month grace period after acquiring a
passport/citizenship of another country. My question is whether I should be
presenting both my Indian and Canadian passports during my entry and exit at
the Indian airport ? Are the officials there well aware of this so that I
don't run into any trouble. I have been advised that one should only present
their Indian passport but I think that is dishonest and also when you have
to exit India the Airline needs to see your Canadian VIsa or Passport to let
you board so at that point I will have to invariably present it. My travel
will be within the three month grace period and I just need to clarification
from you regarding the situation.

yvrtravel
Newly Registered

Post by yvrtravel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 pm

A second confirmation from the Toronto Consulate as well:
Dear Mr _____________,
Since you have already acquired Canadian passport you need an Indian visa
to travel to India. You cannot travel of Indian passport after acquiring
Canadian passport. Also, you are required to surrender your Indian passport
before applying for Indian visa. For details please visit our website:

kkhhyyaattii10
Newly Registered

Post by kkhhyyaattii10 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 am

[quote][/quote]

Hi iramkk/ ban

I am in similar situation. i need to travel to india using indian passport in 3 months grace period.I have to pay money for my tickets by today evening. now my question is

1. you used both passport for trip to india. did u travel back to heathrow. Did u use self checkout at heathrow.

2. important question , did u surrender your indian passport now and got OCI. sorry just asking these question to check whether you had any problems or any penalty.

it just i am worried about all and i don't have any choice . no time for surrender and getting visa. just got British passport yday and need to fly to India on 14th. i emailed vfs. they dont reply properly whatever on website they copy-paste.

your quick response will be appreciated.

iramkk

Post by iramkk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi kkhhyyaattii10

Just now saw your post. The answers are:

1. While going, used Indian passport, from here in Heathrow as well as in India. Never took British passport out.

2. While coming back used Indian passport at Indian immigration. After reaching Heathrow, kept my indian passport in my bag, and used British one at the self checkout. No problems at all.

2. Yes, since then, I have surrendered indian PP and got OCI as well.

If you are within your 3-month limit from naturalisation, you will not have any problems at all. ban.s was very helpful as well with his replies for me.

nisag
Newly Registered

Post by nisag » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 am

Was kkhhyyaattii10 having a valid BRP when she travelled?

My case:
Our 3-year old daughter's Tier1 dependent BRP expired on Jan 6 (2014). We didn't apply for her ILR but directly applied for naturalisation as both her parents had ILR. The date on her Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen is 24th Feb. She now has a British Passport as well. But she has not yet surrendered her Indian PP.

Urgent travel:
My wife (she has ILR and a valid Indian passport so no issues) need to travel urgently to Ahmedabad for a medical operation. Can the three-year old visit India on her Indian Passport accompanied with her mom? If yes then she will leave Heathrow and enter Ahmedabad on Indian PP. She will leave Ahmedabad on Indian PP. Lastly enter Heathrow on British PP.

Majority of users of this forum travelled during their 3-month grace period with a valid BRP - this is not the case with my daughter. So I think, if kkhhyyaattii10 travelled without a valid BRP, we can have peace of mind as my daughter's case will be exactly same as her.

The following is exactly the same question but no one has given a concrete answer:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 96267.html

I will highly appreciate if anyone can answer this.
Many thanks in advance

AksJohn
Newly Registered

Post by AksJohn » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi,

My 2 year old daughter has recently acquired British Citizenship by naturalisation. I have applied for her British Passport but haven't received it yet. She holds an Indian passport. Her BRP has expired and hasn't been renewed (my husband and I applied for ILR only for the two of us and after receiving ILR directly applied for her naturalisation).

Once she receives British passport, can I travel to India with her without obtaining an Indian visa for her? I can show her Indian passport while exiting UK, entering India, and exiting India. I can show her British passport while entering UK. Will there be a problem because of not having a valid BRP to show with Indian passport?

Can I do this outside the grace period of 3 months? I am happy to pay the fine while surrendering her Indian passport.

Her naturalisation certificate has a date of 14 Feb 2014. However there was an error in the certificate and we had to return it for correction. We received the corrected certificate only on 29 Mar 2014, but the date on the certificate is still the same 14 Feb 2014. Even though we applied for her British Passport on 4 Apr 2014, we still haven't received it. Once it arrives if I were to surrender her Indian passport, which could take around 2 weeks even when applied in person, and then apply for Indian Visa which could take around a week, I may not be able to visit India at the beginning of June. Hence I wish to know if there is an alternative option of traveling using two passports and paying penalty later.

Any clarifications will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Regards,

Aks

umittal
Newly Registered

Post by umittal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi Friends

I am on ILR and going to apply for Naturalization at council office in Swindon on 28th July(4 days from now). I will need to travel to India in Sept 2014 for a week.

Looking at Naturalization waiting times I don't think I will have my Naturalization certificate by then as its taking 2-3 months.

Now my question is

A) If my certificate is not there by then am I subjected to any restriction because I have made the application?
B) If my certificate do arrive by then what is the procedure I should follow for traveling to India?
C) I have gone through the procedure discussed to travel in this forum but all concerned had BP. In case you only have NC and not BP and are within 3 months of NC what procedure should be followed?
D) Is ILR valid after NC?
E) From when Grace period is calculated? i.e When you make your NC application or the day you receive your NC after ceremony?
F) How long it takes to get BP after NC?

Regards
umittal

arnie365

Post by arnie365 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:16 pm

nisag wrote:Was kkhhyyaattii10 having a valid BRP when she travelled?

My case:
Our 3-year old daughter's Tier1 dependent BRP expired on Jan 6 (2014). We didn't apply for her ILR but directly applied for naturalisation as both her parents had ILR. The date on her Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen is 24th Feb. She now has a British Passport as well. But she has not yet surrendered her Indian PP.

Urgent travel:
My wife (she has ILR and a valid Indian passport so no issues) need to travel urgently to Ahmedabad for a medical operation. Can the three-year old visit India on her Indian Passport accompanied with her mom? If yes then she will leave Heathrow and enter Ahmedabad on Indian PP. She will leave Ahmedabad on Indian PP. Lastly enter Heathrow on British PP.

Majority of users of this forum travelled during their 3-month grace period with a valid BRP - this is not the case with my daughter. So I think, if kkhhyyaattii10 travelled without a valid BRP, we can have peace of mind as my daughter's case will be exactly same as her.

The following is exactly the same question but no one has given a concrete answer:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 96267.html

I will highly appreciate if anyone can answer this.
Many thanks in advance
Were you able to travel on your expired BRP using the Indian PP? What was the experience?
rgds,
Arnie