ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Rule if applying for Naturalisation from 28 Oct 2013

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zubbshah
Mood:
India

New Rule if applying for Naturalisation from 28 Oct 2013

Post by zubbshah » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello Guys,

Just a quick question.

Well I would be applying for naturalization in mid Nov 2013.

Came across this link on ukba's website :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

When I applied for my ILR , I had submitted my LIUK Test result, so now does that mean I would still need to have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent
level qualification for my naturalization ?

or just LIUK Pass Certificate would be enough ?

Please Advise,

Thanks a lot,
Zubb

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:24 pm

English at B1 CEFR or higher will be required.

babe_khyber
Member of Standing

Post by babe_khyber » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:English at B1 CEFR or higher will be required.
At the movement this rules is just plan and not clear what is deciding in the last week of September 2013. I think the Govt will change his plan for the people who are already passed either life in the uk test or esol with citizenship material even Entry 1.2.3 Speaking and listening Should be fine.
best wishes.
babe khyber

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:59 pm

zubbshah wrote:Hello Guys,

I have a bachelor's degree from Mumbai University. ( India) BCom.

Is this verifiable on Naric's website : http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/C ... sment.aspx

to confirm whether this degree has been taught in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1) as per new rules for Citizenship.

If thats fine then I can apply to them, thought I'd check with you guys first and then send my documents to Naric for verification purpose.

Please advise,

thanks a lot,
zubb
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

adeelmpk
Newly Registered

Post by adeelmpk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Does anyone have more information what's actually required to satisfy the " English at B1 CEFR" test as mentioned below. I have completed a masters degree in UK with English [of course] as and the course delivery language, isn't that sufficient to justify the English " speaking and listening " ?

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless the individual is exempt. Applicants will be required to:

pass the Life in the UK test; and
to have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

Source of information

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... uirements1
http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/news/c ... ober_2013/[/i]

sikiliza69

Post by sikiliza69 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm

[quote="adeelmpk"]Does anyone have more information what's actually required to satisfy the " English at B1 CEFR" test as mentioned below. I have completed a masters degree in UK with English

Only for people who have not studied in U.K. or are not from an english speaking country

For more info search the thread starting with this:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 799#908799

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am

zubbshah wrote:Hello Amber / Guru,

Hope you are doing great buddy and really appreciate all your inputs on assisting ppl in here.

I have got a few grey area about the rules kicking wef 28th Oct.

As you know in my previous posts i'd asked in general about the requirement for Eng Essentials.

Well, i just a one question and thought i'd check with you.

I have done my Bcom from Mumbai Uni in India.

So to check for english requirements do I need to fill in
a) statement of comparability or
b) English Language Assessment

on this website :-

http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/Default.aspx

If you can let me know your input on that accordingly i'll do the need.

thank you once again for all your assistance 24/7 on this forum.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:58 am

If you met a B1 requirement for your PBS application (if applicable) then that will suffice.

If not your degree should suffice if it is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English.

To prove this, you need to submit a NARIC statement of comparability (click) with:

A certificate from the institution stating the medium of instruction for the degree was English

Or

A NARIC English Language Assessment (click)

And the degree certificate of course. You can get an idea if this will suffice by seeing if 10 points are awarded for your degree on the PBS calculator, if not, don't fret, just apply for the NARIC statement(s).
Last edited by Amber on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tulip11

Post by tulip11 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:51 pm

hi I am also going to apply for my ILR in mid nov 2013 I have already passed life in the uk test. I have master degree which was taught in english language but thats quite long process of verification so its better to apply for B1 test. I have applied for 1 test so insha Allah I ill give my B1 test in october. I had passed A1 TOEIC test for spouse visa .

zubbshah
Mood:
India

Post by zubbshah » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 am

Thank you for you reply Amber, been wee bit busy so couldn't reply early on.

well, so does that mean that I need to get both certificate :-

a) A NARIC English Language Assessment (which i've already requested )
along with

b) a NARIC statement of comparability (is that a necessity or just the Eng Lang Assesment form would suffice ?? )

Cause when I spoke to those guys some time last week, I was advised to just go for Eng Lang Assessment certificate and not Stmt of Comp.

I am still a bit confused , not quite clear as to if I do need the other certificate ( Stmt of Comp.)

All your inputs are highly appreciated.

Can you please advise on that ?

Thanks a lot.
Zubb

D4109125 wrote:
zubbshah wrote:Hello Amber / Guru,

Hope you are doing great buddy and really appreciate all your inputs on assisting ppl in here.

I have got a few grey area about the rules kicking wef 28th Oct.

As you know in my previous posts i'd asked in general about the requirement for Eng Essentials.

Well, i just a one question and thought i'd check with you.

I have done my Bcom from Mumbai Uni in India.

So to check for english requirements do I need to fill in
a) statement of comparability or
b) English Language Assessment

on this website :-

http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/Default.aspx

If you can let me know your input on that accordingly i'll do the need.

thank you once again for all your assistance 24/7 on this forum.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 am

D4109125 wrote:If you met a B1 requirement for your PBS application (if applicable) then that will suffice.

If not your degree should suffice if it is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English.

To prove this, you need to submit a NARIC statement of comparability (click) with:

A NARIC English Language Assessment (click)

Or

A letter from the institution stating the medium of instruction for the degree was English

And the degree certificate of course. You can get an idea if this will suffice by seeing if 10 points are awarded for your degree on the PBS calculator, if not, don't fret, just apply for the NARIC statement(s).
This info is useful for people with overseas degrees taught in English, that are applying after the 28th of October; I guess they'll have to send copies of their degrees to that company to have it assessed

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:01 pm

zubbshah, the statement of comparability is perhaps the most important part, as the degree must be comparable to a UK degree, the English Language Assessment does not prove this.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:50 pm

D4109125 wrote:zubbshah, the statement of comparability is perhaps the most important part, as the degree must be comparable to a UK degree, the English Language Assessment does not prove this.
I had a look at the website and it seems like if he sends copies of the degree certificate, the transcriptions and the translation into English, they can assess it in 15 days for £50; so I guess that assessment would suffice....

zubbshah
Mood:
India

Post by zubbshah » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 pm

thank you very much for your prompt reply :)

well, i rang up naric and spoke to them and they said for any visas / naturalisation purposes i need to apply for eng lang assessment certificate and not stmt of comparability one.

so then i did duly apply for one.. however does that mean i need to also apply for stmt of comp. one as well ?

D4109125 wrote:zubbshah, the statement of comparability is perhaps the most important part, as the degree must be comparable to a UK degree, the English Language Assessment does not prove this.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 pm

zubbshah wrote:thank you very much for your prompt reply :)

well, i rang up naric and spoke to them and they said for any visas / naturalisation purposes i need to apply for eng lang assessment certificate and not stmt of comparability one.

so then i did duly apply for one.. however does that mean i need to also apply for stmt of comp. one as well ?

Didn't they say they can assess your degree and state what the British equivalent is?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:09 pm

zubbshah, the issue is that with the English Language Assessment, they could come back and say that the degree does not meet a C1 level (they only check for C1 not B1) and if so, the Assessment is useless that is why I think a statement of comparability with a certificate stating the medium of instruction is English would be the safest option.

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 pm

D4109125 wrote:zubbshah, the issue is that with the English Language Assessment, they could come back and say that the degree does not meet a C1 level (they only check for C1 not B1) and if so, the Assessment is useless that is why I think a statement of comparability with a certificate stating the medium of instruction is English would be the safest option.
it might be a good idea if he/she asked the NCS to phone the HO internally and ask them.

adnanmirza

O levels as B1

Post by adnanmirza » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:52 pm

hi,

My wife has done O levels from Pakistan. Will that satisfy the B1 requirement?

As far as I know O levels is a certified by Cambridge Uni Uk. Can any one please confirm

Thanks

Derivaz

Re: O levels as B1

Post by Derivaz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:16 pm

adnanmirza wrote:hi,

As far as I know O levels is a certified by Cambridge Uni Uk. Can any one please confirm

Thanks
I think it has to be a degree, mate.

adnanmirza

Post by adnanmirza » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 am

thanks Derivaz. Are you 100% sure or its just a guess?

Thanks

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:04 am

adnanmirza wrote:thanks Derivaz. Are you 100% sure or its just a guess?

Thanks
I read the requirement and it says that you need to take the english test, unless you have already taken it and that you are exempt if you have an degree taught in english; you are referring to O leves in Pakistan, so in principle it doesn't seem to satisfy the HO requirements, because you don't have the B1 test or an degree taught in English...

But you say that Pakistany O level is certified by Cambridge Uni; I'm not sure what you exactly mean by that, but it doesn't seem to be a B1 test or a Degree taught in English, so my guess is No, but I'm not an expert, it's my interpretation of the HO Guide; as you probably know if you read the posts on these forums; nothing is certain with the HO, because its rules are extremely vague....

tulip11

Post by tulip11 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Derivaz wrote:

Thanks
It has to be degree .

Derivaz

Post by Derivaz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:25 pm

tulip11 wrote:
Derivaz wrote:

Thanks
It has to be degree .
that's how I interpret it too.

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I have got Masters degree from Aston University but My wife has got Overseas Pharmacist Diploma from Aston University in UK, would it cover the requirement of degree in English ? Application due in December this year !

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:12 pm

I have got Masters degree from Aston University but My wife has got Overseas Pharmacist Diploma from Aston University in UK, would it cover the requirement of degree in English ? Application due in December this year !