ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI or PIO for minor

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DesiBoys

OCI or PIO for minor

Post by DesiBoys » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi All,
I have tried to search this info but cudnt get anyting exactly.

Im currently on ILR (BP due next mid year) and my boy, 20 months, recently got his British Passport and surrendered Indian.

We now are going to India in Nov so I need some advise from you all:

1. As he cannot apply for OCI yet (at least one parent need to be eligble) is it better to apply for short term indian visa or PIO?

Based on what I've read OCI needs to be applied each time the passport is renewed so for minors PIO is alright too.

2. Can we apply for PIO for him now and later sometime in future apply OCI, if need be?

3. We are travelling in end OCt so if we apply next week can we realistically get PIO by then or is it better/safer to go for Indian visa?

Thanks

stephenjose2013
Newly Registered

Post by stephenjose2013 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 pm

apply for pio card
I applied in Birmingham in person on 21 aug and was asked to collect on 20th sep.

stephenjose2013
Newly Registered

Post by stephenjose2013 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:44 pm

not sure about the application in other places like London, may be more quicker in London.

jazb
Newly Registered

Re: OCI or PIO for minor

Post by jazb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 am

DesiBoys wrote:Hi All,
I have tried to search this info but cudnt get anyting exactly.

Im currently on ILR (BP due next mid year) and my boy, 20 months, recently got his British Passport and surrendered Indian.

We now are going to India in Nov so I need some advise from you all:

1. As he cannot apply for OCI yet (at least one parent need to be eligble) is it better to apply for short term indian visa or PIO?

Based on what I've read OCI needs to be applied each time the passport is renewed so for minors PIO is alright too.

2. Can we apply for PIO for him now and later sometime in future apply OCI, if need be?

3. We are travelling in end OCt so if we apply next week can we realistically get PIO by then or is it better/safer to go for Indian visa?

Thanks
You got answers to all these? I have the same questions..

DesiBoys

Post by DesiBoys » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi All

I am now applying for PIO as that seems better than applying for Indian visa (timeline suggest about 4 week).

Can someone help me with these questions on PIO form:

3(b) - permanent address -
does this have to be present address in the UK or Indian one?
I would think UK but still confirming

13) Have you or your parents or grand parents held Indian passport? If ‘yes’ please give details below:
Grand parents nationalities - now both sides of grandparents do have indian passport but do we have to attach their passport photocopies? that is a problem to get.

15- Have you or your parents or grand parents were born and were permanently resident in territories falling in present day India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, as on 30/03/1999. If yes, please give the following details:
I am guessing point 13 will be repeated again (may differ for others) but for us grandparents were born and still reside in India.

Many thanks/

DesiBoys

Post by DesiBoys » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi All

I am now applying for PIO as that seems better than applying for Indian visa (timeline suggest about 4 week).

Can someone help me with these questions on PIO form:

3(b) - permanent address -
does this have to be present address in the UK or Indian one?
I would think UK but still confirming

13) Have you or your parents or grand parents held Indian passport? If ‘yes’ please give details below:
Grand parents nationalities - now both sides of grandparents do have indian passport but do we have to attach their passport photocopies? that is a problem to get.

15- Have you or your parents or grand parents were born and were permanently resident in territories falling in present day India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, as on 30/03/1999. If yes, please give the following details:
I am guessing point 13 will be repeated again (may differ for others) but for us grandparents were born and still reside in India.

Many thanks/

DesiBoys

Post by DesiBoys » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi All

I applied for my sons PIO card on 2nd sept by post, which was recieved on 4th.

I have since not heard anything. His BP is with indian embassy too.

I have tried calling but no one picks up the phone and no answers to email as well.

We now urgently need tp travel to India. Can anyone suggest how to do I contact them or when is it likely to hear anything on PIO cards by post?

gopsmaddy
Newly Registered

PIO or Long Term Visa

Post by gopsmaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi,

I am also planning to apply PIO or LongTerm VISA for my baby as she is still eligilble for OCI only with me.
Confused with PIO or LongTern VISA ?? Please suggest.

Thanks,

pragneshmpatel

Re: PIO or Long Term Visa

Post by pragneshmpatel » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:16 pm

gopsmaddy wrote:Hi,

I am also planning to apply PIO or LongTerm VISA for my baby as she is still eligilble for OCI only with me.
Confused with PIO or LongTern VISA ?? Please suggest.

Thanks,
Its upon you. as for minor PIO is same as OCI as minor do not have to register at police if they stay more than 6 month on PIO.

I suggest for PIO instead of long term VISA as it is one time hassle and 15 years visa.