ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent Query: High Income Earner Child Benefit letter

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Heisgood

Urgent Query: High Income Earner Child Benefit letter

Post by Heisgood » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Both my wife and I have ILR. My kids are British citizens and my wife has stopped working to be a full time mom and currently claims child benefits in her name.

I am a high income earner and I recently received a letter dated 17th August from HMRC stating that due to child benefit changes in January 2013, I MAY owe HMRC child a benefit charge as I am in the high income bracket. It goes on to say that I need to register for self-assessment by October 5th 2013 and submit my paper return by October 31 2013 or online return by January 2014.

My BC application is in October via NCS. My question is this a show stopper for BC with my HMRC records? If not, is it ok to do tax assessment option and the online return by Jan 2014? Any informed forum members comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 pm

That is normal and fine, see High Income Child Benefit charge (click)
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Heisgood

Post by Heisgood » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:04 am

D4109125 wrote:That is normal and fine, see High Income Child Benefit charge (click)
Thanks for the quick response Amber. I really appreciate your feedback.

I am so close to the line, yet it feels so far. I just need this to be over and done with. I have to drive carefully, read every letter and avoid all the typical refusal traps as much as is within my power......
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |