ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success in Croydon with a driving conviction

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

suzym79
Newly Registered

ILR success in Croydon with a driving conviction

Post by suzym79 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:18 pm

My husband and I applied Wed for ILR based on 5 years continuous stay under the old work permit system. We were concerned about our application as my husband had a driving conviction from last year. I wanted to add our experience on here, in case it helps anyone else. Firstly I only found this board last month and it has helped so much. A massive thank you to all those who have contributed as this is an excellent website.

We booked our appointment exactly 28 days before our work permit expired and we paid the full fees online. We stayed at the Landsdowne hotel the night before our app which was walking distance to the Home Office. Got a really great deal online (£57) which made a fuss free morning.

We arrived at 8am and made our way through security. At the reception desk our documents were checked and we were given a personal number for the day. The agent commented that we made his job easier as all our documents were in order. We had in order 1. The appointment confirmation 2. Payment confirmation 3. Application form 4. Passports 5. Life in the UK pass notification letters. In a separate folder we had all supporting documents with photocopies including: 1 month payslip, 1 month bank statement, lease, utility and council tax bills, letter from employers in the same format as the sticky note, all the details surrounding my husband's conviction. To strengthen our case if the conviction was a problem, I thought it wouldn't hurt to add all my details as his dependant and these included: my payslip, bank statement, letter from my employer and my UK masters degree certificate.

At 8.42 our number was called to register our case. When we got to the desk the lady apologised that we had to wait and said it will take 10mins for her to enter our details on the system. I said we had copies and asked if she wanted them or would she make her own? She said if we had copies this would be helpful so we took all our supporting documents and separated them into 2 piles; originals and copies. When she was finished entering the documents she put the original supporting documents in a folder with our application and in a separate folder, she put the copies. She then told us to have a seat and wait for our biometrics to be taken. At 8.55 our number was called and biometrics were completed in just over 5 minutes. The agent told us they would now consider our case and this would take 1hour 30mins. He said we could leave and they would call us our mobile or we could wait. We decided to wait in the canteen.

On the screen we could see our case was under consideration and by 9.45 this changed to documents to be collected. We thought our case was either straightforward or we were turned down due to the conviction. We couldn't collect the documents until our number was called. Also even though our number was on the screen, other numbers joining the list which were lower than ours got called first. We assumed this was because the HO had set times to complete cases. At 10.30 we collected our original documents and confirmation we were granted ILR.

The whole process from security to collection took 2hr 30mins and we were not asked a single question. Our app was Wed and today we came home to our BRPs.

The UKBA staff were all extremely polite and helpful; we were really impressed by this. We could not fault anyone and everything was like clockwork.

My husband was pulled over during a random police stop and search in May 2012 and was charged with driving without insurance and licence invalid. Our friend, the owner of the car said he was fully comp but this was only for UK licence holders. My husband appeared in court in Oct 2012 was fined and his provisional licence came with 6 points. We submitted this too.

I am sorry for the long story but was trying to not leave anything out. We wish you all the very best and thank you for helping us. This board is an amazing tool. :-)

montysingh

Re: ILR success in Croydon with a driving conviction

Post by montysingh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:48 pm

suzym79 wrote:My husband and I applied Wed for ILR based on 5 years continuous stay under the old work permit system. We were concerned about our application as my husband had a driving conviction from last year. I wanted to add our experience on here, in case it helps anyone else. Firstly I only found this board last month and it has helped so much. A massive thank you to all those who have contributed as this is an excellent website.

We booked our appointment exactly 28 days before our work permit expired and we paid the full fees online. We stayed at the Landsdowne hotel the night before our app which was walking distance to the Home Office. Got a really great deal online (£57) which made a fuss free morning.

We arrived at 8am and made our way through security. At the reception desk our documents were checked and we were given a personal number for the day. The agent commented that we made his job easier as all our documents were in order. We had in order 1. The appointment confirmation 2. Payment confirmation 3. Application form 4. Passports 5. Life in the UK pass notification letters. In a separate folder we had all supporting documents with photocopies including: 1 month payslip, 1 month bank statement, lease, utility and council tax bills, letter from employers in the same format as the sticky note, all the details surrounding my husband's conviction. To strengthen our case if the conviction was a problem, I thought it wouldn't hurt to add all my details as his dependant and these included: my payslip, bank statement, letter from my employer and my UK masters degree certificate.

At 8.42 our number was called to register our case. When we got to the desk the lady apologised that we had to wait and said it will take 10mins for her to enter our details on the system. I said we had copies and asked if she wanted them or would she make her own? She said if we had copies this would be helpful so we took all our supporting documents and separated them into 2 piles; originals and copies. When she was finished entering the documents she put the original supporting documents in a folder with our application and in a separate folder, she put the copies. She then told us to have a seat and wait for our biometrics to be taken. At 8.55 our number was called and biometrics were completed in just over 5 minutes. The agent told us they would now consider our case and this would take 1hour 30mins. He said we could leave and they would call us our mobile or we could wait. We decided to wait in the canteen.

On the screen we could see our case was under consideration and by 9.45 this changed to documents to be collected. We thought our case was either straightforward or we were turned down due to the conviction. We couldn't collect the documents until our number was called. Also even though our number was on the screen, other numbers joining the list which were lower than ours got called first. We assumed this was because the HO had set times to complete cases. At 10.30 we collected our original documents and confirmation we were granted ILR.

The whole process from security to collection took 2hr 30mins and we were not asked a single question. Our app was Wed and today we came home to our BRPs.

The UKBA staff were all extremely polite and helpful; we were really impressed by this. We could not fault anyone and everything was like clockwork.

My husband was pulled over during a random police stop and search in May 2012 and was charged with driving without insurance and licence invalid. Our friend, the owner of the car said he was fully comp but this was only for UK licence holders. My husband appeared in court in Oct 2012 was fined and his provisional licence came with 6 points. We submitted this too.

I am sorry for the long story but was trying to not leave anything out. We wish you all the very best and thank you for helping us. This board is an amazing tool. :-)
Hi there

Many congrats my friend for your ILR

can you please advise me if you have checked the CRB/SAR report before applying and if yes what information was displayed on the report or you just took a risk and applied without checking

thanks

suzym79
Newly Registered

Post by suzym79 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:19 am

[quote="montysingh"][quote="suzym79"]

Hi there

Many congrats my friend for your ILR

can you please advise me if you have checked the CRB/SAR report before applying and if yes what information was displayed on the report or you just took a risk and applied without checking

thanks[/quote]

Hi Monty

We didn't check anything previously, and just took a chance. We wanted too but by then it was too late as our appointment was the next week. The conviction was a random police check so we took everything to do with the conviction with us, including the summons, conviction details, proof of payment and supporting document from my husband stating that this was the first time he had a run in with the law with copies of his provisional licence.

Hope this helps and all the best.

asjid73
Pakistan

Post by asjid73 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:05 am

suzym79 wrote:My husband and I applied Wed for ILR based on 5 years continuous stay under the old work permit system. We were concerned about our application as my husband had a driving conviction from last year. I wanted to add our experience on here, in case it helps anyone else. Firstly I only found this board last month and it has helped so much. A massive thank you to all those who have contributed as this is an excellent website.

Hi Suzym first my congratulation for your ILR success and thank you for sharing this story its going to bring glimpse of hope for so many people who had traffic conviction a friend of mine who already applied for ilr through postal route and now he got convicted to not reporting an accident which append in a car park got 5 points and fine from the court he was so much worried i think he is going to be OK any way one question was your husband got any fine from the court if yes how much and did you disclose points and fine in application form
thanks and enjoy your freedom
ASJID

asjid73
Pakistan

Post by asjid73 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Suzym first my congratulation for your ILR success and thank you for sharing this story its going to bring glimpse of hope for so many people who had traffic conviction a friend of mine who already applied for ilr through postal route and now he got convicted to not reporting an accident which append in a car park got 5 points and fine from the court he was so much worried i think he is going to be OK any way one question was your husband got any fine from the court if yes how much and did you disclose points and fine in application form
ASJID

suzym79
Newly Registered

Post by suzym79 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:58 pm

[quote="asjid73"][quote="suzym79"] Hi Suzym first my congratulation for your ILR success and thank you for sharing this story its going to bring glimpse of hope for so many people who had traffic conviction a friend of mine who already applied for ilr through postal route and now he got convicted to not reporting an accident which append in a car park got 5 points and fine from the court he was so much worried i think he is going to be OK any way one question was your husband got any fine from the court if yes how much and did you disclose points and fine in application form
ASJID[/quote]

Hi ASJID
Thank you and yes we disclosed everything. The fine was just under a grand and 6 points. We included the police report, summons, conviction outcome and payment sheet from the court showing the fine was paid. We also took copies of his provisional licence to show he was on his way to getting his full licence. Hope this helps
Best wishes
Suzy

asjid73
Pakistan

Post by asjid73 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 pm

suzym79 wrote:
asjid73 wrote:
suzym79 wrote: Hi Suzym first my congratulation for your ILR success and thank you for sharing this story its going to bring glimpse of hope for so many people who had traffic conviction a friend of mine who already applied for ilr through postal route and now he got convicted to not reporting an accident which append in a car park got 5 points and fine from the court he was so much worried i think he is going to be OK any way one question was your husband got any fine from the court if yes how much and did you disclose points and fine in application form
ASJID
Hi ASJID
Thank you and yes we disclosed everything. The fine was just under a grand and 6 points. We included the police report, summons, conviction outcome and payment sheet from the court showing the fine was paid. We also took copies of his provisional licence to show he was on his way to getting his full licence. Hope this helps
Best wishes
Suzy
thanks for quick reply this is very useful information
ASJID

tier2ilr

Post by tier2ilr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:13 am

Dear suzym79

I have the same conviction. Can you please confirm that did your husband pleaded guilty after appearing in court or he opted not plead guilty?

Can you please confirm what case worker asked about the conviction ?What are the exact Conviction codes on your Licence?what were the Date of conviction and date of offences?

As i am having same issue stopped by police and facing same charges so you detailed response will help me .

Regards

suzym79
Newly Registered

Post by suzym79 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:45 pm

[quote="tier2ilr"]Dear suzym79

I have the same conviction. Can you please confirm that did your husband pleaded guilty after appearing in court or he opted not plead guilty?

Can you please confirm what case worker asked about the conviction ?What are the exact Conviction codes on your Licence?what were the Date of conviction and date of offences?

As i am having same issue stopped by police and facing same charges so you detailed response will help me .

Regards[/quote]

Hi tier2ilr
Yes he pleaded guilty. Offence occurred in May 2012 and conviction Oct 2012. Conviction codes LC20 and IN10. We were not asked a single question about anything. Just add as much information as possible about your case.
Best of luck

tier2_cts

Request to suzym79

Post by tier2_cts » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi suzym79,

Many Congrats for your ILR!!!

I am a silent member of this forum. I am planning to apply for ILR. I am sailing on the similar boat. Can you please let me know what should we mention in the "Sentence Given" column for the question 7.2, should we have to mention the fine, surcharge and the cost of the application or only the fine received?

Thanks.